• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Junko Mizuno

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:47 am Reply with quote
I still have a complete run of PULP magazine. Cinderalla was one of my favorite featured manga.
Brand

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:24 am Reply with quote
I have all three of the fairytale manga and Pure Trance. I adore her work. I remember seeing Cinderella on a store shelf for the first time and I just had to have it. The art looked like nothing I have seen (which is true to this day).

I think I like Cinderella the best, it makes more sense then Pure Trance, and just has some really fun weird crap in it. Like the woman pulling off her breast, or the undead turtle (was he buried alive the the Prince?).

I'm going to order Little Fluffy Gigolo Pelu right now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
giapet
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:57 am Reply with quote
My favorite figure in my collection is one Junko Mizuno designed that Deb Aoki from manga.about.com picked up for me once. <3
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:09 am Reply with quote
My favorite is Princess Mermaid (or The Little Mermaid if they weren't worried about Disney copyrights) which has a wide skein of straight tragedy.
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:23 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
My favorite is Princess Mermaid (or The Little Mermaid if they weren't worried about Disney copyrights) which has a wide skein of straight tragedy.

Princess Mermaid is pretty amazingly awesome, and has a real ending, unlike Pure Trance. I think Fluffy Little Gigolo Pelu may turn out to be her masterpiece, though.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:23 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:

Disney's The Little Mermaid is copyrighted, sure, but the original story is public domain so it should be fair game for adaptations by anyone. Just stay clear of any Disney-specific elements and you should be fine.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:30 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Fronzel wrote:

Disney's The Little Mermaid is copyrighted, sure, but the original story is public domain so it should be fair game for adaptations by anyone. Just stay clear of any Disney-specific elements and you should be fine.

In which case, why isn't this one called The Little Mermaid? Princess Mermaid is a direct translation of the Japanese title but it's a (loose) adaptation of Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tale, as Mizuno's Cinderella and Hansel and Gretel were of their sources. Either somebody translation-side missed the connection or they just didn't want to touch the copyright issue with a pole. Did Detective Conan really need to be re-titled Case Closed?
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:57 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:

In which case, why isn't this one called The Little Mermaid? Princess Mermaid is a direct translation of the Japanese title but it's a (loose) adaptation of Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tale, as Mizuno's Cinderella and Hansel and Gretel were of their sources. Either somebody translation-side missed the connection or they just didn't want to touch the copyright issue with a pole. Did Detective Conan really need to be re-titled Case Closed?

Saban managed to do fine with this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventures_of_the_Little_Mermaid

AFAIK Disney never sued them; Disney's version was just more popular.

Not sure what the exact reason behind the Princess Mermaid name is. Mizuno's version of Cinderella is called Cinderalla, for some reason. Pretty sure there are a lot of non-Disney visual adaptations of Cinderella and The Little Mermaid that don't bother with name changes.

I think the Conan the Barbarian people just have a solid trademark on fictional (title) characters named Conan, at least in the U.S. Animax Asia managed to show Detective Conan (with their own English dub and TMS's English credits) without any trouble over the title.
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:
Fronzel wrote:

The Conan the Barbarian copyright holders are amazingly restrictive, and they prevented Viz from calling "Detective Conan" by its original name in America. As for Princess Mermaid, I don't know what's the Japanese translation of the title of "The Little Mermaid," think that was just what Mizuno wanted it to be called in English. CinderRAlla isn't exactly the same title as CinderRElla either.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:14 pm Reply with quote
I remember first hearing about Junko Mizuno when I read the first interview she had on this website after moving to San Francisco. I was amazed that a Japanese manga artist would move to America. She said she moved there for her health. Or something like that. I haven't seen all that much of her work but after seeing just a small amount of it,I'm glad. I don't know how I'd feel about it. I think it's too creepy for me,to be honest.
I did here that she did some work for an anthology series and one of the things she did was a bizarre version of "Spider-Man." For me,at least,there are somethings better left undiscovered. Ms. Mizuno's work is among them.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I have the My Little Pony she designed ^^

http://www.amazon.com/My-Little-Pony-Junko-Mizuno/dp/B002IUJO48/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350594611&sr=8-1&keywords=junko+mizuno+my+little+pony

I really should get around to reading Pure Trance and her other manga.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:54 am Reply with quote
Great article. And I have to agree with what has been said about her work although it never crossed my mind until I started getting into watching Asian exploitation ("pink", "ero-guro", etc..) films a couple years back. I was introduced to her work back in the mid 2000, when the first book we acquired for our acquisition was "Cinderalla". I was quite taken by her art style not to mention her twisted sense of storytelling. I kept an eye out for more works by her. So far we pretty much have everything by her in our collection (thanks to yours truly). I really felt that he work was a excellent addition to the graphic novels we have and they have gotten good circulation over the years. I even picked up the 'Hell Babies' book some years ago. I still need to pick up the fairy tale ones. But after all these years I'd be surprised if I could even find them. That's how much time I've allowed to pass.

I read Pure Trance and I just found myself mesmerized by her art more than the story. Her storytelling was so bizarre but I didn't care, the whole package was unique. But after reading this column it finally hit me of what I didn't realize about her work. Yes, there is a very exploitation feel to her work. I mean visuals of disfigurement, sex, drug inducing, etc, etc... you sort of really analyze it. While it might be the material that could be turned into an anime, it works better as a live action film. The likes of which Sushi Typhoon could come up with. But her works is like no one else's work. She is definitely removed herself from what is the "norm" in shoujo comics. To be honest you might not be able to call it that. It's in a class all by itself.

I would like to see more works by her, though I'm sure her schedule is very tight. Plus, sitting down and creating a story does take time to flesh it out and then put into effect. I really enjoy her work. It's a controversial look on some of the normal things we see everyday. It's a refreshing change of pace. Surprised

I'll have to pull 'Fluffy Gigolo Pelu' and read that. I didn't know that it wasn't completed. So I'll have to add v.2 to our list.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I adore her stuff to bits, yet I still haven't gotten around to buying her titles that are out of print. I'll get around to it one of these days.
Hellfish

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:04 am Reply with quote
The prince from Cinderalla was kinda cute for a zombie, but I guess is right, hot men are quite rare in her work.
At this moment I onlu have Cinderalla and Hansel and Gretel... I had no idea they were something asked by their publisher Sad I also have some shojo beats with her drawings for the zodiac Anime hyper
Brand

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:54 am Reply with quote
So, I ordered a copy of Fluffy Gigolo Pelu and got it in the mail yesterday. It was interesting. Perhaps less crazy then Pure Trance but still very odd. I do like the odd juxtaposition of a cute fluffy guy drinking and huffing chemicals though.

Though I wonder why Last Gasp hasn't published the other two volumes by now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1