• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Josh Grelle, Aaron Roberts Co-star in Toriko's English Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:26 am Reply with quote
Maybe it's because hip-hop is a lame gimmick for shows that aren't centered around it? It didn't work for Dragon Ball GT, it didn't work for One Piece. Why should it work for Toriko?
Yoda117

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:51 am Reply with quote
Good to see Brad Venable in the cast list. The guy has mad talent in front of the mic.

I'm hoping that Funi will start to use him in more productions, as his versatility with characters is rather impressive.

/knew him when he first started in VO
DeathScytheRuler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Josh Grelle kind of sounded like Yuri Lowenthal when he'd voice younger characters (young Sasuke, Renton, etc).
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:04 pm Reply with quote
DeathScytheRuler wrote:
Josh Grelle kind of sounded like Yuri Lowenthal when he'd voice younger characters (young Sasuke, Renton, etc).

Johnny Yong Bosch voiced Renton. I think you mean young Simon.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I've been reading Toriko for years and I am looking forward to seeing the English dub of this series. I personally enjoy this series and this is one of my favorite shonen shows that is currently ongoing.
DomonX2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Can't be Treize or Andrew Waltfeld, I'm afraid. Ryotato Okiayu is one of my favorite Japanese VAs and I doubt anyone will be able to match him IMO. The only time someone got close to him was Drummond and David Kaye in Gundam SEED and Gundam Wing respectively. His Zero is awesome though!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:57 pm Reply with quote
This is one of those NIMBY (Not In My BackYard) situations for some people.

You want new, lesser-known talent to get a chance to stretch out and get some serious experience, but you don't want it in a show you care about. You realize it's a necessity for the talent pool to grow, but you also want every dub to be as good as it can be.

An interesting phenomenon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Son-kun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm wondering if they're going for the Revised Dialogue/"Reversioning" route that FUNimation did for Dragon Ball Z. Based on the trailer and the people working behind it, it seems likely, but still too early to tell.

I remember watching the simulcast for Toriko, then dropping it after Episode 20. What I've read of the manga was pretty good though. Just having to read through another long-runner isn't on my list at the moment, but I'll definitely get back to it when I'm done with other series'.
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:03 pm Reply with quote
When it ran in SJ for a few months as previews, I read Toriko and Komatsu as sounding like Kyle Hebert and Yuri Lowenthal's Kamina and Simon. Not really into the manga and skip it in SJAlpha, but I may or may not give this a shot.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:47 am Reply with quote
A friend of mine just brought this to attention on another site.

The narrator? Is GeneralIvan, an internet voice actor and the voice of Cooler from Team Four Star's DBZ Abridged.

No really. Laughing

http://www.youtube.com/user/generalivanva
sukisho

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:17 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
This is a good thing IMO. This show would be too boring if they tried to imitate the Japanese dub. They need a crazy, goofball dub for this show, especially if they plan to put it on toonami (which I'm guessing is what they are angling for.

Doubt it. They always dub their series in the way they want to, it has nothing to do with wether or not it will get put on TV.

Toonami is still just a very small project afterall and doesn't have all the money in the world to license every series that comes out. Some shows that people want on there, have been said to be out of the Toonami price range, so this could be another one since it's fairly long and semi-well known.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2