• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Detroit's Maid Cafe 'Chou Anime' Closes Its Doors

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:10 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:

enurtsol wrote:
Y'know what these maid cafe failures need? Laughing

Have ya watched those TV series like Bar Rescue, or Kitchen Nightmares, or Restaurant: Impossible on the Food Network? Here's a quick description:

Wrong. Bar Rescue is on SpikeTV.

I wasn't quite sure where I saw Bar Rescue, so I only mentioned what I distinctly remembered on the Food Network, which is Restaurant: Impossible.

Sunday Silence wrote:

Then again, with themed restaurants, it's a hit or miss. Some work, others......are questionable.

I recall that ep though! Laughing
Shadow Revolution

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Why was I not surprised, even I presented a similar sense of skepticism.

And adding to Clyde's little speech. The cute girls must go beyond the bounds of the average waitress' expectations. You are not just here to serve food but give a sense of service so welcoming that the customers view this as their second home.

All while dealing with high waitress turnover rates dictated by the population of the anime industry.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Wakazhi wrote:
Still hard to believe that even existed in Detroit to begin with. Definitely not first place I'd expect the focused demographic to be in, at all. Southern California along the coast, maybe.

Wouldn't mind one in Toledo since I'm sure it would work. It's not that hard to maintain restaurants down here.

TnKtRk wrote:
is anyone really surprised it closed?
There just isn't enough otaku/anime-niacs/whatever to sustain such a place all year long. Your everyday joe/jane would rather go a Hooters/Twin Peaks/Tilted Kilts or any of the other "breastaraunts" that are popping all over the U.S.

The very concept of a "maid cafe" pretty much sprang from greasy spoons, Hojo's and Denny's. Go there!

firedragon54738 wrote:
Well that a shame it seems the maid cafe just don't work in the US

I really saw no use for 'em anyway.

Clyde_Cash wrote:
firedragon54738 wrote:
Well that a shame it seems the maid cafe just don't work in the US

The owners should have just made it a host club. All the women and booze you can handle? I'm sure it'd work, even in an economically depressed city like Detroit. What else are they going to rely on over there? Canadians who drive up north from Windsor a.k.a. Detroit Jr. to score new electronics before they're released in America's hat? Slavish devotion to local sports teams?

It could happen. Windsorites aren't that stupid not to take advantage of their neighboring border.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4