• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf Licenses Princess Knight Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brand

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:03 pm Reply with quote
I wonder where that Princess Knight guy from ANNcast (from like 2 or 3 years ago) is now?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Really far degree of separation from Queen's Blade.
Saffire

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:04 pm Reply with quote
That's an interesting release format to say the least. I wonder if something happened to the original Japanese materials, or if they were just unable to acquire them?
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:06 pm Reply with quote
So we're just getting the edited "Choppy and the Princess" dub? Confused

Why not just do a separate set release for the original uncut Princess Knight?
stocksatron

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:06 pm Reply with quote
doesn't Tezuka's material get re-released quite often in Japan? couldn't they just provided a japanese dub version but from a different edit?
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
That's an interesting release format to say the least. I wonder if something happened to the original Japanese materials, or if they were just unable to acquire them?

I'm sure the older the show is the more difficult it is. I thought I remember hearings stories on ANNCasts or the TRSI podcasts as to how Shawne would even go to individual broadcasters in the U.S. in order to find episodes of Astro Boy back in the day. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:11 pm Reply with quote
You would think all of the telecines for Dr. Tezuka's productions would be put in cold storage somewhere for archival purposes.

Or were the telecines subject to the same junking policies just like BBC and Dr. Who?
murph76

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:11 pm Reply with quote
RightStuf gave an explanation on twitter.

@animetoday wrote:
(This is a similar situation to our Astro Boy releases. Finding video & audio footage is difficult because people threw lots of stuff away...)

(The focus that we have now on preserving audio/visual materials for future generations just wasn't there, at the time.)
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:12 pm Reply with quote
I did not see that coming. It's not as ERHMAHGERD AWESOME! as Rose of Versailles, but what is? (Well, maybe Legend of the Galactic Heroes)

I'm not sure if I'll buy this, perhaps I'll be inspired to if I get around to reading the manga (Somet things that I've read have given me some misgivings about it), but it is seriously cool of Nozomi to license this. Things like this are good news.

The lack of a Japanese audio track is unfortunate, but for something this old, I can easily believe that it's technically infeasible.

Who ever thought that Princess Knight guy would get his wish?

This has been one Hell of a year for licenses, as far as I'm concerned. One Hell of a year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Myaow

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:15 pm Reply with quote
So now Right Stuf/Nozomi has Utena, Versailles AND Princess Knight? Talk about your holy trinity!

Anyway, yay! I bought the two manga volumes that Vertical put out last year and was totally not expecting to love them as much as I did. Some of the things I liked best about the manga (the big sense of drama, cool pirate dudes) are apparently not in the anime, but from what I've heard it's really fun and cute on its own merits!
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this is interesting news. Well, this is understandable. Think of it like what they did for the Astro Boy and Kimba series. They were the original NA releases. It would have been nice to get a sub but at this time I think it's more about getting the acquisition available. I guess that's another that goes on the list. Now who's gonna re-release Sailor Moon?
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:16 pm Reply with quote
I think it was mentioned in a previous ANNCast that either the "Princess Knight Guy" actually confused PK with another series or actually watched it afterwards and realised it wasn't what he thought it was.

Either way, it sounds like all that sound and fury was for nothing...
Saffire

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
This has been one Hell of a year for licenses, as far as I'm concerned. One Hell of a year.
I now want an image macro of Shawne Kleckner dressed up like Sebastian from Black Butler with the text "I am one hell of a distributor".
Comsr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:28 pm Reply with quote
murph76 wrote:
@animetoday wrote:
(This is a similar situation to our Astro Boy releases. Finding video & audio footage is difficult because people threw lots of stuff away...)
(The focus that we have now on preserving audio/visual materials for future generations just wasn't there, at the time.)
But how could the Italian release of Princess Knight include the original audio and is likely uncut?
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:33 pm Reply with quote
ComSR wrote:
murph76 wrote:
@animetoday wrote:
But how the Italian release of Princess Knight could include the original audio and is likely uncut?

The title, when dubbed into Italian, didn't make the same cuts that the English version did when it was made in the late 1960s. The English audio will not overlay directly to the Japanese video due to significant cuts made by broadcasts and standards at the TV studios of the time for violence and other reasons.

Putting a license to get this title back into circulation, and including the original dub, has been a project I've been working on all the way back to the mid 1990s. There have been a very large number of hurdles to jump over.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5