• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz's 1st Tiger & Bunny BD/DVD Set Slated for February

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brakus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Yay, affordable Blu-ray/DVD release in the States (even though I'll end up double dipping since it's not in a combo pack)! If Viz can make the first set 13 episodes so that the Jake Martinez arc resolves properly, it would be perfect.

(I wouldn't put it past Viz not to notice these things....)
RTL3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Finally! Glad the episode count is decent, was worried it would be lower.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:39 am Reply with quote
Good going guys, On in a widely avaiable network, DVDs out within a year of the show -

Oh wait, I'm not talking to Bizzaro Earth, am I? I'm talking to crappy earth prime.

Here lies Tiger and Bunny, a show that could have been the next bebop if not for the hand wringing of the japanese and the disgusting willingness of the Americans to bend over.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:56 am Reply with quote
No extras mentioned make the Viz DVD/BD sets worth buying, so I'll be passing on them unless more information comes out. I was looking for the various cast/staff interviews to be translated. I don't recall if there were commentaries, but it'd obviously be far too much to hope for that the drama CDs would be translated (if only in printed form).
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:19 am Reply with quote
Yes, finally! Totally buying this, been looking forward to blu-rays for this so much ever since the show ended and it's fantastic that it's coming out with a dub that is off to an awesome start from the eps I've seen on NA so far.

The wait's going to be hard now that it's finally coming. Smile

Awesome day!

The part I agree with of the rant is that this show was so awesome seeing the whole thing fansubbed and such an easy sell that this absolutely should have been gotten on AS/Toonami through any means possible on all sides, it should have been given the chance to be huge on Toonami as the next "gateway" show which would have been a positive for everyone.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:25 am Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
No extras mentioned make the Viz DVD/BD sets worth buying.

Special Features: Additional Scenes, Production Sketches, Storyboards.

That's what you get for extras, that's more then you get out of Viz's other animes, take if or leave it. If you like the anime, not sure why you'd pass on the official release.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:41 am Reply with quote
Viz should be pushing this in all the brick and mortar stores that still sell anime, i.e. Target, Walmart, Best Buy, etc. It's the one anime that has the potential to cross over big time.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:15 am Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
Ingraman wrote:

Yeah, that's the list that I've seen. There are other extras that I would like to have seen translated, such as footage of promotional events and cast/production staff interviews.

Quote:
That's what you get for extras, that's more then you get out of Viz's other animes, take if or leave it. If you like the anime, not sure why you'd pass on the official release.

I'll leave it. I already bought the Japanese release, and Viz is giving me no reason to double-dip.
Toriko36

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:19 am Reply with quote
njprogfan wrote:
Viz should be pushing this in all the brick and mortar stores that still sell anime, i.e. Target, Walmart, Best Buy, etc. It's the one anime that has the potential to cross over big time.

As much as I agree with you, have you been to a Target lately? According to your tag, I see you live near 37 and 70 (as do I) and I've been to the target on 70, just off the GSP and what anime titles do you see there? All I see are the disney/Ghibil titles and maybe 2 copies of each.

It would be great, but your casual fan or someone just walking by would have no idea what Tiger and Bunny is. I mean, just look at the name. I bet alot of us saw that title when it came out back in the Spring of 2011 and had no idea it would be a huge hit/success.

As much as I don't like it, brick and mortar for media is just a dieing outlet for the medium. It's really down to the online retailers and maybe a few speciality shops if you live in large metro areas.

Other than that, I'm estatic for the official NA release because I told myself I would not download the fansubs and after a few episodes on Hulu, I wanted to purchase this to watch this show in HD on the big screen. Thank you Viz/WB!
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:43 am Reply with quote
Toriko36 wrote:
njprogfan wrote:

As much as I agree with you, have you been to a Target lately? According to your tag, I see you live near 37 and 70 (as do I) and I've been to the target on 70, just off the GSP and what anime titles do you see there? All I see are the disney/Ghibil titles and maybe 2 copies of each.

It would be great, but your casual fan or someone just walking by would have no idea what Tiger and Bunny is. I mean, just look at the name. I bet alot of us saw that title when it came out back in the Spring of 2011 and had no idea it would be a huge hit/success.

As much as I don't like it, brick and mortar for media is just a dieing outlet for the medium. It's really down to the online retailers and maybe a few speciality shops if you live in large metro areas.

Other than that, I'm estatic for the official NA release because I told myself I would not download the fansubs and after a few episodes on Hulu, I wanted to purchase this to watch this show in HD on the big screen. Thank you Viz/WB!

I remember seeing Dragonball Z and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood at the Target on Hooper Ave before the remodel. It was just a thought, though. I guess the show needs to be on the Cartoon Network or the Sci-fi Channel before it can be sold at a Target or Walmart. But if there was any series that came out in the last couple of years this would be the one with the best potential.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I can accept paying $50 for 12/13 episodes on blu ray, so good for you viz. Now why doesn't aniplex do that. I want to own drrr on blu ray and I want bakemonogatari but im not gonna pay 150$ for that....
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
Vata Raven wrote:
Ingraman wrote:

Yeah, that's the list that I've seen. There are other extras that I would like to have seen translated, such as footage of promotional events and cast/production staff interviews.

This IS NOT a Bandai or Aniplex release, you're shit out of luck if you want anything fancy.
Relenus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I guess at this point we can give up any hope of Tiger & Bunny appearing on Toonami.

Dammit Viz, why did you have to make Neon Alley exclusive to the one piece of modern technology I don't have?
Toriko36

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:06 pm Reply with quote
njprogfan wrote:
Toriko36 wrote:
njprogfan wrote:

I remember seeing Dragonball Z and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood at the Target on Hooper Ave before the remodel. It was just a thought, though. I guess the show needs to be on the Cartoon Network or the Sci-fi Channel before it can be sold at a Target or Walmart. But if there was any series that came out in the last couple of years this would be the one with the best potential.

I 100% agree with you. Tiger and Bunny would be a great title to try and breath some new life/fans into the anime genre. Again, it's now approaching two years since it aired and who knows if it would be given a TV treatment. Maybe G4 could play it. But with all of the ads on the hero suits and everything, it must of been a nightmare for Viz to acquire and with the fear of reverse importation, it makes sense why they would wait this long (or told they hadto wait this long). Even the regular edition Japanese blu rays are $90 each for 3 episodes. The Japanese fans would kill to be $37 (last time I checked on Amazon) for 13 episodes of this series.

Again, just happy it's finally getting an official Blu Ray release and I will 100% buy this and the the second volume and support Viz.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Toriko36 wrote:
njprogfan wrote:
Toriko36 wrote:
njprogfan wrote:

I 100% agree with you. Tiger and Bunny would be a great title to try and breath some new life/fans into the anime genre. Again, it's now approaching two years since it aired and who knows if it would be given a TV treatment. Maybe G4 could play it. But with all of the ads on the hero suits and everything, it must of been a nightmare for Viz to acquire and with the fear of reverse importation, it makes sense why they would wait this long (or told they hadto wait this long). Even the regular edition Japanese blu rays are $90 each for 3 episodes. The Japanese fans would kill to be $37 (last time I checked on Amazon) for 13 episodes of this series.

Again, just happy it's finally getting an official Blu Ray release and I will 100% buy this and the the second volume and support Viz.

If VIZ does plan on taping this shows potential their going to have to think out side the box in terms of promotion. I just don't see their usual methods reaching the type of people that could potentially make this a huge hit over here. Its not really the type of show that most of todays "active" anime fans are interested in and most of the R1 licensing company's promo campaigns are geared towards those people. I hope I'm wrong but I doubt that most of the potential fans of this will ever know it exists or at least what its about.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2