• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf Licenses Princess Knight Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:19 pm Reply with quote
As it turns out, the show has been available on DVD in Japan for some time:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=XT-2689

So, I guess what I would like to know is, was it somehow impossible to get the masters used for this DVD release? I'm asking, because I think that somehow, it may have been possible to include at least a subtitled version based on this release on our R1 release, and either include both the original Japanese, and amended English versions on "flipper" discs, or do two separate releases for both.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Wow both Discotek and Right Stuf are really on fire for their old school anime announcement. I wonder what's next for old school anime. Can't wait to see!!! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:08 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
So we're just getting the edited "Choppy and the Princess" dub? Confused

Why not just do a separate set release for the original uncut Princess Knight?

At this point I don't even care if it's in FRENCH!

JohnnySake wrote:
Saffire wrote:
That's an interesting release format to say the least. I wonder if something happened to the original Japanese materials, or if they were just unable to acquire them?

I'm sure the older the show is the more difficult it is. I thought I remember hearings stories on ANNCasts or the TRSI podcasts as to how Shawne would even go to individual broadcasters in the U.S. in order to find episodes of Astro Boy back in the day. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

I'm sure they had to go to private collectors who had 16mm prints of the show itself.

KabaKabaFruit wrote:
You would think all of the telecines for Dr. Tezuka's productions would be put in cold storage somewhere for archival purposes.

Or were the telecines subject to the same junking policies just like BBC and Dr. Who?

Technically the original episodes in Japan were preserved anyway (except for the end credits as most episodes from Mushi Productions had end credits that were discarded by TV stations anyway so a textless version is all that remains from the original camera sources). It's the foreign language editions of the series where the problem arises as often neglect or expired rights often lead to situations like this happening, these really go back to their Japanese owners at all and they often don't feel they have to have them though in the long-run it would've been worth it I'm sure in re-licensing said property.

TV stations, especially in North America were operated independently, and film prints either lay dormant in closed vaults, often thrown away in dumpsters or merely sold off illegitimately to collectors like plenty I know over the years (those often show up on eBay a lot, though when I got into it, you had to know someone who clued you into sources like the trade publication "The Big Reel").

shawnek wrote:
Putting a license to get this title back into circulation, and including the original dub, has been a project I've been working on all the way back to the mid 1990s. There have been a very large number of hurdles to jump over.

I will have to say "Thank You" then!

shawnek wrote:
In the mid 1970s, the original Mushi Production company went bankrupt, and there was no money to return anything back to Japan. There were also disputes as to who owned what after a liquidator sold off many of the old materials and intellectual property. A great many of the materials were junked. We were truly fortunate to be able to acquire over time some sort of materials from all 104 of the original Astro Boy episodes and 52 Kimba episodes, and from that even we had to do a great deal of salvage work piecing together video and audio footage from multiple sources to make a usable product.

You did a fine job on those. I have no qualms whatsoever knowing full well the daunting task you had there.

Quote:
I'm still looking for episodes of The Amazing Three, another great Tezuka classic that was dubbed into English in the 60s, in case anyone out there has some stored in their closet.

I know someone in Spain who claims to have 5 or 6 episodes in 16mm negative form. He tried to sell his batch a couple times on eBay, though I don't know if he still has it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib1GEHK0eLQ
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I hope this trend continues and we get more oldies like ogon bat or Seigi o Aisuru Mono Gekkou Kamen which BTW also had spanish dubs.
Wakazhi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:58 am Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
So now Right Stuf/Nozomi has Utena, Versailles AND Princess Knight? Talk about your holy trinity!

Talk about overrated...
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Do you have any facts to support that?
I have not seen any information about what is actually in the Italian release or if that original material, if it is still available, can be obtained by Right Stuf.

There is a link to the Italian Amazon page on the first page of this thread.
Quote:
He has already been researching it for almost 20 years. I doubt that there is much that he has not found. And at this point I am sure that he knows a great deal more about the subject than you do.

You also have to consider that English dubs have never been a priority for Nozomi. If they could release the original I feel confident that they would.

I have nothing against Shawne's direction but I am not going to just flat out accept that the original Japanese footage is lost to time and space if there is evidence that the japanese footage may still be around.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5