• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shuffle! (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:03 pm Reply with quote
All I can say about 23 is, I was definitely having some Air flashbacks, with the whole spoiler["magical powers too immense for her body to contain" bit, though I don't think Shuffle will end the same way. And too bad for Kaede; I was rooting for her throughout the series, and she got shafted.]
LordShishio

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm really interested in this series, are there any American stations that play it? Cable or not? Or do I have to order the DVDs?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:27 pm Reply with quote
You have to be able to download the fansubs to see it at the moment, it's not liscensed for distribution in outside of Japan.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:34 pm Reply with quote
FINAL EPISODE, OMG!!!! Shocked

First half. spoiler[I sort of knew that Rin would slash his wrists in order to force Asa to use her magic, but GEEZ! I was like cringing like hell at that moment when Rin did that (just like the first time I watched Elfen Lied). Asa with long green hair was pretty cool though.]

Now the second half....spoiler[...the animation fell into insulting levels; the off-model character designs were very noticible and jarring. Luckily, the material in the second half was mostly epilouge stuff with more funny moments with the girls. Rin and Asa may be a great couple, but the other girls won't give up on obtaining his love.

Oh yeah, that frame in the ED sequence with Kaede and Sia.......YES!!!!!]
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I figured that this thread would see a revival now that #24's been released. . .it wasn't quite the ending I expected, but it gave a good conclusion to the comedic and dramatic sides of Shuffle!. First, the dramatic stuff. . .I mean, you hear about depressing anime, but spoiler[this is probably the first time that I've actually seen a trigger. Some will know what I mean by this. It seemed just slightly forced, but I gotta give them credit for going for the grit. It had shock value if nothing else. Of course, I knew he was probably not going to die, since he cut himself horizontally. Come on, Rin, get with the program--go down the road, not across the street Rolling Eyes Embarassed ]

And the comedy: spoiler[Yeah, they did completely drop the high emotional line, but the second half was very fitting for the comedy part of the series. Every character got to do their bit one last time, although I found myself feeling sorry for Itsuki...stupid harem clichés where the "other guy" never gets anything. I wish Kaede would have moved on too, but again, this is harem H-game based anime we're talking about. And as always, Mayumi and her small-chest insecurity were great.] All in all, a series worth seeing, despite what the descriptions say. I've mentioned this before, but I can imagine ADV picking up Shuffle! on the basis that it's a magical harem/comedy show on the lines of Maburaho. Time will tell.
Nirvana

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:20 am Reply with quote
anyone know why the quality of the animation was so poor?
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:21 am Reply with quote
Maybe they spent most of the budget on Kaede's arc and her.....you know. Wink

I really hoping that it'll be fixed in the DVD versions because that really hurt my eyes (probably because it's for a "comedic" effect, but that's a weak excuse).
Nirvana

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Well how did everyone like the ending?

spoiler[I was thinking that Rin was gonna do something along the lines of suicide for Asa to use magic.... but I thought that was waaaay too lame... yet it did happen -_-. I'm glad he ended up with Asa, however, I was hoping for a more suspensful (sp?)l ending. I also thought it was weird how Kaede just grows out of her psychotic stages, haha...]

All in all, a good anime to watch. I think they wasted too much time on "comedy" in the first half of the anime. the first few eps were funny, but it was getting reeeeeally bad before spoiler[Rin & Asa were going out].
daristar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I want more.
spoiler[I like Asa with long hair, hmm. While going the suicide route was more dramatic I would have thought he would have just tried talking to her. Ie you mother wants you to live, not live as a human. blah blah blah. The transistion to the end was a bit jarring.]

I'm glad I watched this series.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:45 pm Reply with quote
I was definitely satisfied with the conclusion and all over now, I thought it was an excellent series. spoiler[Maybe I missed it but did Asa ever explain why she was so determined not to use magic to save herself? Also I expected Rin would just talk things out with her so his suicide attempt was a shock.]

Quote:

spoiler[Oh yeah, that frame in the ED sequence with Kaede and Sia.......YES!!!!!]]

What was that all about spoiler[Did she trip or do that purposely, I wonder.] Very Happy
Urb'

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:59 am Reply with quote
Ok a slight bump on this, as I just finished watching the series last night... Had put it off for a while as one of my friends mentioned it was similar to Air...

I really enjoyed this series, though i had an incline quite early
spoiler[on to who he would end up with..

I also wasnt sure why asa didn't want to use magic, was it purly denial, she didn't want to be anything but human and using magic would show that she's not, as there were half-lings, i guess they would have magic aswell, but not a human with magic, maybe she knew about her mothers past. if she didn't have the blood, then maybe she didn't want to turn into a lab rat.

Rin with the suicide.. he had tried talking to her, he had to make it a dramatic thing, he does alot of talking, but rarely took any decisive action, it was a gamble as to wether she could actually perform magic, even she didn't know, but normally a traumatic/emotional event triggers such things.]

anyways, now im glad i watched it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2