• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cartoon Network to Air Ghibli Movies

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keroude

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:45 am Reply with quote
Spirited Away is good for CN yes, but I must say Princess Mononoke is WAY too violent and belongs on AS.
Kouji

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:03 pm Reply with quote
I think this is even more fantastic than TCM airing the Studio Ghibli films. Even though Cartoon Network is only airing them dubbed, I think this is even more wonderful news because it means that Studio Ghibli films have become popular enough to hit a mainstream network that lots of kids watch like Cartoon Network. I have no doubt that the kids who watch anime on this network will love these films and I hope it encourages Cartoon Network to air more anime films in the future, and yeah, I definetly agree that Mononokehime belongs on Adult Swim. Although I don't care about it as much as I do Studio Ghibli films, I also hope Cartoon Network will air Kiki's Delivery Service. I was actually kind of disappointed that it wasn't on TCM's schedule. I'd just like to see that movie being aired on a network that isn't Disney for a change, especially when the other Studio Ghibli films are airing on different networks. And Cartoon Network bought the rights to these movies from Disney, right? I mean, Disney owns the rights to them, so they would have to go through them, right? Does that mean there's a change they could air Disney films in the future?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
SnowStar_7*

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Oh, wow it's like i predicted this or something. Actually it was just a mistake on my part.

You see a week ago I think it was after Inuyasha I was waiting for the commercal after it ended since sometimes new ones are aired of AS shows. That's when I saw the advertising of the Ghibli movies and I get happy thinking their airing on the Cartoon Network now that they aired them on TCM then I realized it was for the TCM channel.

I found out about a month ago about the special presentation the TCM channel was going to do for the Ghibli movies. Turns out I have Comcast and therefore have every channel listed on the T.V. guide except the premium channels and for some stupid reason TCM.

So, I'm happy they will air. Wink
gridsleep

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Disney licensed the theatre presentation rights to the Ghibli films that were in theaters so far. I don't believe Disney licensed the American broadcast rights. We won't be seeing Ghibli films on the Disney Channel right now. I also hope we won't be seeing Disney films on the CN. They did show Roger Rabbit but I think that was more Spielberg than Disney and only had some D characters in it. I'm not particularly fond of most D films. As I think about it, there isn't one I would not flip through on TV on the way to something better. As a historical note, when I first got cable (TW) about ten years ago, CN and Sci-Fi Channel were showing lots of anime. SF in particular showed really serious anime such as Akira, Vampire Hunter D and Serial Experiments:Lain on Saturday morning, as welcome contrast to the vapid fare that the networks had descended to at that time and have descended even further since. CBS and ABC have taken to showing only Nickelodeon and Disney shows, their partners respectively, rather than working to create their own new cartoon shows as had been the standard since the 60's. NBC doesn't even show Saturday morning cartoons any more. Culture changes, not always for the better. As for the Ghibli films on CN, I would be happier with subs, but executives probably think kids today have too short an attention span or too little literacy to sit and read that much, even with the Harry Potter phenomenon declaring the contrary. I love the sound of the Japanese language, which only adds to the wonderful essence of anime. One long look through ANN's catalog shows what CN could be doing, and should be doing. Don't decry violence in anime and unsuitable for children until you say the same for Tom & Jerry, which is shown daily in the morning for young viewers. T&J and the Warner cartoons were originally intended for theatrical release as shorts between features, when adults were in attendance. It was only the decision of short sighted TV executives that allowed such extremely physical comedy to become the national babysitter. I was raised on such cartoons, and on the Three Stooges. For a very short time I took to hitting people in slapstick ways because I thought it was funny. The shows showed me it was funny. My parents took the time to explain to me that it is only funny when it is not real. I understood, and did not grow up to be a wife beater or serial killer. I believe every child is just as capable of understanding that message, if parents take the time to remember their responsiblity and approach the subject with patience and intelligence. Japanese children watch this mature anime all the time as regular faire, and they are no more psychotic than the average US child. Perhaps the Japanese understand the role of myth and role playing a bit better than do we. No culture is perfect. Both the US and Japan (and just about every other nation) have their share of historical attrocities. If we work to merge the best that each of our cultures has to offer, we may all end up better off, with a brighter and more rational future for children yet to come.
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:29 pm Reply with quote
this can be good or bad. as Keroude said, princes mononoke is probably too violent to be aired. i cant imagine what cuts they might do to these movies. the only good thing is encouraging younger kids to investigate anime further, but that will probably end in a flop, since the kids that watch anime strictly on CN or saturday morning stuff consider it to be in the same league as Yugioh, pokemon, or anime ripoffs, which are becoming WAY too common. Also, stuff like mononoke hime, along with most other anime, have too deep of a storyline for the average 7-11-ish aged child to understand, so this is probably gonna cause some major confusion. MOST (not all, there are some smarter kids out there) kids of that age are not nearly focused enough to understand all of the plot twists and unexpected endings that make up the majority of true anime. theyre stuck in the perspective of american animation, which has caused the butchering of many a series in order to make it appeal to an "American" audience. actually, so much TV has become so crappy that i dont even watch it anymore. ill just watch this to see if its any better or worse than my expectations.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
We won't be seeing Ghibli films on the Disney Channel right now.

They probably have the rights, it just doesn't fit their supposed tweenie-pop-brat demographic. The Disney Channel has, every once in a while, been playing Kiki's Delivery Service since before I can remember.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kouji

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:54 pm Reply with quote
gridsleep wrote:
Disney licensed the theatre presentation rights to the Ghibli films that were in theaters so far. I don't believe Disney licensed the American broadcast rights. We won't be seeing Ghibli films on the Disney Channel right now. I also hope we won't be seeing Disney films on the CN. They did show Roger Rabbit but I think that was more Spielberg than Disney and only had some D characters in it. I'm not particularly fond of most D films. Culture changes, not always for the better. As for the Ghibli films on CN, I would be happier with subs, but executives probably think kids today have too short an attention span or too little literacy to sit and read that much, even with the Harry Potter phenomenon declaring the contrary. I love the sound of the Japanese language, which only adds to the wonderful essence of anime.
As already stated, Disney has aired Kiki's Delivery Service in the past, and I personally would love to see Disney films airing on Cartoon Network. They'd be a lot better than Cartoon Network airing random live-action movies or the umpteenth broadcast of The Land Before Time Part 100, at least the classic films like Sleeping Beauty, Beauty And The Beast, and The Little Mermaid would be, anyway. And what exactly is in the Japanese version of Studio Ghibli films that you can't see in the dub? All of the visual footage is left in-tact, with the expection of Laputa and Kiki's Delivery Service, all of the original music is retained, and with the expection of a few minor changes that don't alter the plot too drastically, the over-all general translation of the Studio Ghibli films' dubs are very accurate. It's not like the Disney dubs are completely massacred like Warriors Of The Wind or something. And it's one thing for kids to like reading books, but it's another thing to expect them to like watching subtitled anime. Kids can read books at their own pace without having to keep up with everything that's happening onscreen, but watching subtitled anime requires a little bit of speed reading and kids aren't experts at multi-tasking like adults are. Besides, if you're deseperate to see Studio Ghibli films subtitled, isn't that what the DVDs and TCM is for? But I wonder if Cartoon Network has the rights to Only Yesterday, will they air that subbed since there's no dub of it out yet?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ryusaki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Well to be honest I'm just worried about edits,and yes! OMG! to Princess Mononoke,yet It won't go to [as]
They'll cut the crap out of it.
even when they shown Tim Burton's Batman,they cut quite abite from it,...and it still got Tv-14!
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:40 pm Reply with quote
The big question is, will they be in Widescreen? I doubt they'll show any of them subtitled (although that would be really cool if they did), but I hope Ghibli doesn't let them air a pan and scan version.
RezSav

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:48 pm Reply with quote
I don't know, if CN is comfortable with shows like "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" where the main protagonist has a drinking problem and occasionally utters curse words, I don't think they'll have a problem with airing some of GHIBLI's films with little to no edits.

Of course I haven't watched most of his films, so I can't speak for all of them, but if they're planning on airing shows like "Porco Rosso" and the like then I think they'll be in the clear.
RezSav

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:07 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if anyone would care about this but I felt it should be mentioned. I was reading an interview the Gorillaz did with the band Franz Ferdinand, and one of the guys from Franz asked Noodle (one of the animated characters from Gorillaz) said "Noodle: I think either Bruce Campbell from the Evil Dead series or Hayao Miyazaki who wrote and directed Spirited Away". You can probably thank Jamie Hewlett (person who draws the Gorillaz) for that, he has been known to praise anime in his interviews
Kouji

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:28 pm Reply with quote
ryusaki wrote:
Well to be honest I'm just worried about edits,and yes! OMG! to Princess Mononoke,yet It won't go to [as]
They'll cut the crap out of it.
even when they shown Tim Burton's Batman,they cut quite abite from it,...and it still got Tv-14!
Do you have any proof that Mononokehime isn't going to air on Adult Swim and that they'll edit it to death? Just because they edited one movie doesn't mean they'll edit others. Remember, Cartoon Network also aired the Escaflowne movie on Adult Swim, and if I recall correctly, it was aired uncut and the violence in Mononokehime isn't any worse than the violence in the Escaflowne movie. Also, live-action violence is different from animated violence. Animated violence isn't as bad because it's animated and not real, so just because a violent live-action movie got edited on Cartoon Network doesn't mean an animated one will be.
RezSav

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Adult Swim is its own network, and has nothing to do with CN, although it does air on the same channel. So, yes, AS DID air Escaflowne, but thats because it was on a program block called "Adult Swim".
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:55 am Reply with quote
Hold it, hold it, hold it, hold it..

HOLD IT!!

What's all this "Mononoke Hime" nonsense? Nobody said anything about "Mononoke Hime", just "Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi" (AKA" Spirited Away). I really think you're all getting ahead of yourselves here; they might not show Mononoke Hime at all. In fact the ANN article said absolutely NOTHING about Mononoke Hime.

Anyway, all things considered, I have come to the conclusion that the fact that the Ghibli films are anime have nothing to do with their showing on the Cartoon Network; the fact that they are anime is merely a coincidence. In this case, and this case only, it's no different than showing a live-action film. In addition, this is yet another random occurence. For these reasons, I will not be watching the TOON showings of the Ghibli movies.

And just so you know, this isn't about dubbing or subtitling. As a broadcaster of animation for the entire family, the Cartoon Network has:

-failed to keep up with their own evolution
-failed in their capacity
-failed in their role

In terms of Studio Ghibli, if they were to broadcast something like "Majo no Takkyuubin" ("Kiki's Delivery Service") or "Tonari no Totoro" ("[My] Neighbor Totoro") in their "Adult Swim" block, then that would be crossing the line (since these ARE family friendly films by American standards, as well as Japanese), and I would not be watching this channel anymore. This also goes for:

"Kaze no Tani no Nausicaa"
"Tenkuu no Shiro Laputa"
"Mimi o Sumaseba" ("Whisper of the Heart")
The Cat Returns (can't recall the Japanese name of this one)

I'm not sure about Porco Rosso or "Only Yesterday" however; those tend to be ambiguous (especially since the latter is actually a slice-of-life drama; someting Ghibli normally doesn't do). In any case, I just feel that it is only a matter of time before TOON crosses this line, in some form or another.

One more thing, I have reason to suspect that the Ghibli movies were only shown on TCM as a "test", and that they were actually going to show them on TOOM from the beginning, which is why the dubbed versions air at 8:00 PM EST on TCM.
RezSav

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:45 am Reply with quote
The title said Ghibli Movies, plural, if you read the article you would know that CN got the rights to air the entire library that TCM had. Which includes the movie "Mononoke Hime".

Last edited by RezSav on Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3