• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Alternative Couples Sure to Touch Your Heart

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeMaine

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I would add Shuji and Chise from Saikano. Two teenagers learning about love and commitment in a seemingly doomed relationship. spoiler[I should clarify, Chise is no longer a real girl, so I view that as "alternative".]

Last edited by AnimeMaine on Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
neocloud9

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Excellent list, really happy to see this.

Can't wait to watch Aoi Hana once RightStuf releases it!
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I'll admit that the topic of this list isn't one I'm all that familiar with in anime and manga, but I was definitely happy to see the Koi Kaze listing. That show, despite the 'uhh' factor, is really adorable, and you find yourself really rooting for the two despite the 'situation'. You feel really bad for them and the problems they're going to be dealing with.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
zensunni

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:35 pm Reply with quote
While I agree with your #1 pick for alt. couples, I never got the feeling watching Wandering Son that Yoshino was actually attracted to other women... Anyway, you missed two of my favorites: Mari Wakatake and Hagino Senkōji from Blue Drop and Jenny Dolittle and Lynn Lambretta from Bodacious Space Pirates.
Momokochan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, but Shiori is a aksjdlkajsldjaljkdajs bitch. I can't ship her with Juri, while I understand Juri's ever lasting love for her I just can't cause dammit Shiori is one of the biggest douches out there, AND I REALLY LIKE LIKE yuri a LOT, so for me to not ship them is something.

I do prefer Ruka over Shiori a thousand times. I mean the guy sacrificed everything for Juri. I know they are a straight couple, but he was sick and dying (it's not spoiler after 15 years srsly.) So that makes them alternative?...
He preferred to be labeled as the bad guy in other to save Yuri, and nobody acknowledged this (unless you count the drama CD.) He did so much for her and his love was like alskjldaksjldkajdsa so, no I cannot support the motion between Juri and Shiori nevah.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I love how they included Haruka and Michiru but theres one problem with the list... WHERE IN THE WORLD IS CHIBITALIA and HOLY ROME!? That's the cutest alternative couple I've ever seen! And the last episode, Oh Goodness I can't tell you how sad that was for me.
PipingHotTea

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, I'm getting the warm and fuzzies from reading the list and its nice to see Aoi Hana in the mix and that reminds me to finish the show.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
per-say

Per se, a Latin term meaning "in itself".

Also, my preferred CLAMP "alternative" couple is Subaru Sumeragi and Seishirō Sakurazuka.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:23 pm Reply with quote
I am sorry but I fail to understand how some characters got on this list

Kaworu Nagisa is not even part of eva for 20 minutes also he is not know to be gay and shinji is a lot of things but I highly doubt he is. just because fans like ship something does not make it true, and if you were going to do something like that atleast doing something with a series that feeds that idea like hetalia (germany x italy anyone)
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:37 pm Reply with quote
I voted for a robotics club since I'm already in one. Very Happy They're not as uncommon as you'd think. Counting all age groups (4th to 12th grade) there are about 30,000 teams, the vast majority of which are in the US.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:03 pm Reply with quote
How the hell has "Wandering Son" NOT been licensed?
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
I am sorry but I fail to understand how some characters got on this list

Kaworu Nagisa is not even part of eva for 20 minutes also he is not know to be gay and shinji is a lot of things but I highly doubt he is. just because fans like ship something does not make it true, and if you were going to do something like that atleast doing something with a series that feeds that idea like hetalia (germany x italy anyone)

If you take the Evangelion franchise as a whole, including the spin-off manga (which keep the characters true to themselves, even if the world set-up is different from the "main" storyline), Kaworu very much presents himself as being interested in more than just friendship with Shinji. This isn't to say that it's enough to declare them gay or a "couple", but there's definitely enough subtext/non-subtext to pair them up.

penguintruth wrote:
Also, my preferred CLAMP "alternative" couple is Subaru Sumeragi and Seishirō Sakurazuka.

You may have missed the part about the couples being "sure to touch your heart". That is an insanely unhealthy and dangerous relationship. I'd put Twilight on the list before them. And not only does that scare me, but I firmly believe all copies of those books and movie should be burned/destroyed (and I'm staunchly against book burnings).

I actually would put Hisoka and Tsuzuki from Yami no Matsuei/Descendants of Darkness onto the list. While I do not personally see them as a romantic couple, they very much complete each other, as two halves of a single whole, and healing the wounds that life (and death) have inflicted on them.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:05 pm Reply with quote
SereneChaos wrote:
I voted for a robotics club since I'm already in one. Very Happy They're not as uncommon as you'd think. Counting all age groups (4th to 12th grade) there are about 30,000 teams, the vast majority of which are in the US.

Lucky! My school didn't have anything of that sort.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
roseversailles

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Momokochan wrote:
Sorry, but Shiori is a aksjdlkajsldjaljkdajs bitch. I can't ship her with Juri, while I understand Juri's ever lasting love for her I just can't cause dammit Shiori is one of the biggest douches out there, AND I REALLY LIKE LIKE yuri a LOT, so for me to not ship them is something.

I'm with you there. One of the main reasons I originally checked out Utena was because of all the good things I had heard about its portrayal of yuri couple Shiori and Juri. I think those people were playing a prank on me! I have no doubt that Juri loved Shiori, as evidenced by her torment, but Shiori? I have NO WORDS FOR HER. Their relationship resembled one I had kind of been part of, and seeing her abuse Juri's devotion pissed me off to no end. My only disagreement with the list.

On that note, hurray for Haruka and Michiru, my first exposure to 'alternative romance!' I went through my entire adolescence believing they were cousins....boy did I have a rude awakening... I also agree that Seishiro and Subaru should have been thrown in there for good measure.... Also, anyone else here for Franz and Albert???
Splitter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:48 pm Reply with quote
So happy that Takako Shimura couples take up the top 2 spots. Wonderful choices, and a wonderful column in general. Definitely one of my favorite Lists so far Smile

The only, only thing here that I would nitpick is the lack of Nanoha Takamachi and Fate T. Harlaown from "Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS". While it isn't too pronounced in the first two seasons, it definitely was in season three, what with spoiler[raising a child together and their giant bed.] IMO they are one of the most heartwarming alternative couples out there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8