• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
JManga is now offering Kodansha titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
truanifan678

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:20 am Reply with quote
hyojodoji wrote:
Genet wrote:
Vertical_Ed wrote:
Genet wrote:

Shinshoban = a reprinted edition of an older manga

Nope.

Trade paperback sized. IE The size used for new shonen and shojo manga in Japan. Also for trade paperback novels/nonfiction.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up ^^;

As Vertical_Ed said, Shinshoban is a size of books, rather than a reprinted edition of an older manga.
It is B40 (not included in JIS, though), and approx. 173×105mm, which is the size of Iwanami Shinsho.

I like that info! Anime hyper

About the whole "they should go back and reprint such-and-such title" and all of that could it be that because those said titles have been off the mainstream market (i.e. young new readers don't know about them or care to go back in history) that the buying of print audience isn't there? I know there are scanlations *gag* and everything, but if neo-readers haven't been buying them then wouldn't the numbers reflect that? I'm a novice at all this so I'm really just asking a question.

Since, again, I'm fairly new to discussing manga in such depth may I ask a greenhorn question: where do the numbers/proof that a publisher looks for in justifying a license pick-up/print, digital release (like JManga and such) come from? How is that information gathered and what to publishers look for? What factors are considered in the decision for a reprint or initial print? I know I've seen Vertical run polls where given certain perimeters fans can suggest titles, but what if publishers don't do that? How does all that work?
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:40 am Reply with quote
I really wish that JManga would finish up the uncompleted series that CMX dropped. At this point I could care less if they are in paperback or digital format.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:20 am Reply with quote
@ willag

If you are going to wish big like that, throw Tokyo Pop, Go Comi and Aurora in. I was going to include DR Master but I think we got the best title from them, Blood Alone.
Brand

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I can't see anyone reprinting Rave Master, a 35 volume series from 1998? A good chunk of the volumes were already printed before so new reprint volumes would sell far less. And honestly I know a lot of people who loooooooooooooooove Fairy Tale (to the point of having guild tattoos) but I don't think they could tell you who created it, nor do they really care about what he created before.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
stocksatron

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:13 am Reply with quote
I think there's a strong chance that there will be some more Tokyopop titles on the site soon, there are already some of there titles like Tactics on there so I think it's quite likely.

Plus I really wish Jmanga would allow more community activity on their sites like Crunchyroll do....
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:17 am Reply with quote
They've clearly got that planned(just read the ToS), but I remember somebody saying they needed to get a large number of unique visitors before they could roll out a forum.
Genet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@ willag

If you are going to wish big like that, throw Tokyo Pop, Go Comi and Aurora in. I was going to include DR Master but I think we got the best title from them, Blood Alone.

Blood Alone is on hiatus in Japan and IIRC there are publisher-related issues. I am really sad, but I'm so glad SS has brought out what they can. I hope in the future we can get more.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Has Seven Seas brought out everything available of Blood Alone? It would be a shame if it didn't continue, the story was getting interesting. Of course, it is hardly the first incomplete manga I liked.
Genet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Has Seven Seas brought out everything available of Blood Alone? It would be a shame if it didn't continue, the story was getting interesting. Of course, it is hardly the first incomplete manga I liked.

I just found out through a bit of googling that Blood Alone doesn't look to be on hiatus, but it did change publishers after the 6th volume from ASCII Media Works to Kodansha. So it'll be really hard for SS to publish anything after volume 6.

Volume 8 came out in Japan this June. It's currently being serialized in Evening magazine.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:46 am Reply with quote
Damn! Well, lets hope someone is able to continue publishing it in physical media.
Genet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:16 pm Reply with quote
I saw a post on their Facebook page that was a response to someone asking about POD, and their response was to petition it. It sounds like they really might look into it, but they probably want to have enough people wanting it to see if it's a viable option.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5