• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIP Dark Horse comics

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ushio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Disney has bought Lucasfilm and with it Dark horse's money making star wars comics line will soon be no more.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Disney can't just abrogate the license - depending on the text, they might not even be able to stop it from being renewed. You're also assuming that Disney would want to, which they may not. We'll have to wait to see what their plans are.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Disney does not appear to publish comics. At the moment no one is putting out the classic Disney titles. However when they were published they were liscensed. I don't see why they would stop an existing source of revnue.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Um, yeah. Totally think you're jumping the gun here.

And even if (for some reason) it did effect their Star Wars comics line, why would you think it would effect they're manga line, or any of their other comic releases like Hellboy?

Edit: And DH's president has just said that Star Wars will remain with them for "at least the near future". So yeah, nothing really to worry about for now.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:03 am Reply with quote
I'll have to correct my last post. Disney ownes Marvel comics.

However, as noted, Dark Horse is part way through a multi year contract with Lucas and is OK for the immediate future.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Ummmm, no. Fox still owns the distribution rights to the original Star Wars films. Sony still owns Spider-Man and Fox still owns the X-Men. Disney buying LucasFilm/Marvel doesn't suddenly nullify pre-existing contracts. When the contracts run out Disney will probably publish Star Wars comics under Marvel, but right now Dark Horse is safe.
Brand

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:39 pm Reply with quote
As said Dark Horse publishes a lot of other titles then just Star Wars comics. They have been around for over 20 years and have published a lot of titles that have had a long tail.

Sample titles include:
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Conan (As in the Barbarian. Also trust me these comic sell.)
Grendel
Hellboy
The Mask
Sin City

They also produce a huge line of memorabilia like shirts, statues, magnets, posters, and etc.

I do think once the Star Wars contract expires that it will be a bit of a hit but nothing to end the company.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Apparently no one ever told you that their Firefly/Serenity comics are their best selling comics. According to Joss Whedon the trades/hardcovers are Dark Horse's best selling books - ever. I'm a Star Wars fan and I haven't gone near those comics in years, but I buy the Serenity ones.

Dark Horse is going to be fine.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1