• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Little Busters Producer: Anime to Cover Everything, Even Though 26 Episodes Is Not Enough

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:50 am Reply with quote
opn wrote:
The thing is though…LB isn’t like most VN’s. All of the heroine routes add a piece to the overall plot of the VN and playing ALL the routes is required to get to the stuff that happens in refrain.

It's the same thing for clannad as well, you don't really have to cover or even go near nagisa in the visual novel and focus in on a specified route such as kotomoi's or kyou's. Another thing to point is, do enough people even like the default heroine spoiler[rin] for this series to watch refrain/second half?? Or could they just live with a ova one-shot with a favorite character??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
shiranehito

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:16 am Reply with quote
In my humblest opinion, I think in the anime, the routes of every girls perhaps could be covered in 26 episodes, and unlike in the VN, Riki spoiler[doesn't necessarily have to date each girl and reset back because he ]just have to solve the 'problem' on each heroine spoiler[and from the latest episode, it seems that Rin will be involved in the problem solving as well]

Regarding to the 'message' in the end of episode 26, I hope it would be something like spoiler[ at least 13 episodes for Refrain]

I wonder if they will do the EX routes as well. There is a hint on spoiler[Sasami's route] in her character description in the official site, and spoiler[Saya] was seen on some episodes.

Just dont disappoint us, JC staff. I am actually quite annoyed that Sakurasou looks way better than LB in animation quality.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:27 am Reply with quote
So he wents Little Busters After Story now
totoum

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:46 am Reply with quote
shiranehito wrote:
Just don't disappoint us, JC staff. I am actually quite annoyed that Sakurasou looks way better than LB in animation quality.

First of all remember that this is the producer from warner talking,that's because it's warner that decides the number of episodes and budget that goes into little busters more so than JC staff.
Just like Media Works is the company that really has a say in Sakurasou's budget more so than JC staff.

That said there's plenty of still frames all over Sakurasou so even if I like the art style more (and the overall direction) I really wouldn't bet on it having a bigger budget than Sakurasou.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:28 pm Reply with quote
shiranehito wrote:
Just don't disappoint us, JC staff. I am actually quite annoyed that Sakurasou looks way better than LB in animation quality.

Why? They're two separate projects with different budgets and production schedules. I also wish Little Busters had more and better animation, but J.C. Staff are only doing what's possible with the resources they've been given, which need to be spread out over a longer series as well.

In any case, I can't really say this news is surprising when they've been hinting at it for a while, but it is good to get some confirmation on it.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's not really surprising to see the producer make a statement like this. It's currently 8th in terms of Amazon DVD/BD ranking for initial volumes from fall season. It's a lot lower than I would have expected a Key game to anime adaptation to be, especially one as beloved as Little Busters. Still, given the low budget-induced slideshow it probably doesn't need many sales to at least break even. One would think that JC Staff (And Warner) would have had higher aspirations for the franchise though. Disappointing.

Glad to see everything will be covered. I imagine this means either Refrain/Saya OVA series (ending the TV anime at Rin2's conclusion) or another TV series to cover those (as well as I guess Sasasesasegawa and Kanata's routes)

Cecil wrote:

Another thing to point is, do enough people even like the default heroine spoiler[rin] for this series to watch refrain/second half??

Most definitely. She is easily the best Key 'main' heroine for me. But all of the original Little Busters are awesome in their own way.
superdry

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
One would think that JC Staff (And Warner) would have had higher aspirations for the franchise though. Disappointing.

One would think that Key would have had higher aspirations. They accepted the Warner offer - maybe its due to the fact that Warner was going to try and cover everything compared to other offers.

Anywho...I guess that's good news for fans of the series. I'm curious how the show will handle certain aspects of the game if they decide do it that way.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:53 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
One would think that Key would have had higher aspirations. They accepted the Warner offer - maybe its due to the fact that Warner was going to try and cover everything compared to other offers.

Key probably just got annoyed that none of the other bigger names like KyoAni or PA Works would take on their project so they likely took the most attractive offer. It really is too bad that such an amazing property isn't getting the adaption it deserves, but oh well. Theres still always the VN, which I recommend anyone who is interested in the anime to read.
AilisKnil

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Anime adaptation of the century.

fudge KyoAni.

fudge

fudge

fudge
Myaow

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Aw, this just makes me wish even more that someone was streaming this! I want to watch it so bad. Sometimes I just wanna get my cry on and get emotional about cuties in comas (or whatever the conceit of this one is.) Sigh!
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:18 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
superdry wrote:

Key probably just got annoyed that none of the other bigger names like KyoAni or PA Works would take on their project so they likely took the most attractive offer. It really is too bad that such an amazing property isn't getting the adaption it deserves, but oh well. Theres still always the VN, which I recommend anyone who is interested in the anime to read.

See, I can understand PA Works passing, they've got their melodramas that are being well received and most importantly, they won an (a?) award(s?) for Hanasaku Iroha and probably can ride on their success for a bit. Plus, they've got the movie they're working on and their upcoming Late Winter/Early Spring project. If anything, I think if we DO see them collaborating with Key again, it'll be for Angel Beats! season 2... If it ever happens or maybe it won't and Key will wrap up everything in that 'planned' visual novel.

KyoAni though... I don't know or care what's up with them.

I don't think the animation is as bad as some people are making it out to be and, more importantly, have been somewhat spoiled by KyoAni and PA Works animation quality. JC Staff isn't doing a bad job with this show, they're doing their best IMHO.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:05 pm Reply with quote
AilisKnil wrote:
Anime adaptation of the century.
A bit early to be deciding that, isn't it?
Quote:
fudge KyoAni.

fudge

fudge

fudge
I'm pretty sure baking a fudge KyoAni would be rather difficult, not to mention expensive.
opn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:32 pm Reply with quote
@megiddo Its actually doing better then that. Its about second or third and doing about 8k and more people are probably holding back till they get to the more dramatic parts. Or their just not buying it from amazon for some reason.
For people who say everyone refused them - No. Key refused everyone. It was just kyoani (or pony canyon) who refused them. Aniplex tried to do a little busters anime (which was only going to be one cour) but key declined it.
Yerld

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:24 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
One would think that Key would have had higher aspirations.

They don't have much choice. The IP owner is often a big investor on an anime project because they have the most to gain. However, Key doesn't have a lot of money to throw around, unlike Kadokawa Shoten or ASCII Media Works.

Worse still, it's hard to attract financing partners when there are fewer things to sell. Key owns the original game. They also own the music, while the manga adaptations ended long ago. Console ports have been out for a long time. Some might even argue that there's little room for growth since the LB fanbase is so well established (I'd bet that KyoAni and their partners felt this way about Key adaptations. From a business perspective, there's much more value to a project like Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai).

In the end, Warner has to shoulder most of the costs (unlike KyoAni, most anime studios aren't in the business of making hefty investments), which might explain why their competitors were unwilling to plunk down a heap of cash. Despite the restrained budget, they're probably spending a lot more of their own money than with the typical anime series.

Quote:
They accepted the Warner offer - maybe its due to the fact that Warner was going to try and cover everything compared to other offers.

That would be my guess. Previously, Kouhei Kawase voiced his opinion that other producers were probably unwilling to invest enough money to get the job done (FWIW, it's rare for producers of late night anime to commit to more than 26 episodes from the get-go). I suppose he must've known something given the fact that he closed the deal shortly after.

As for Aniplex, their explanation was that they couldn't schedule in a strong enough studio within Key's desired broadcast window.
grooven

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Well they did have her picture in their teasers and have shown her in the crowds so I expect an OVA for her route. the girl they are speaking about that is for spoiler[Saya]. Her story has nothing to do with the main plot so it would be out of place. I imagine OVA's for the the other two girl's too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3