• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ken Otaku Ryu "Hating the Otaku Wave" Published in Japan

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeiram

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:55 am Reply with quote
Mm, i can agree on the lolicon aspect. Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha is a great show, but i fail to understand the need for it to have nekkid 3rd graders to be a good show. I'm at least grateful the percentage is low. They don't transform in every episode nor always the same way, but still, why at all?
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:45 am Reply with quote
Zeiram wrote:
Mm, i can agree on the lolicon aspect. Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha is a great show, but i fail to understand the need for it to have nekkid 3rd graders to be a good show. I'm at least grateful the percentage is low. They don't transform in every episode nor always the same way, but still, why at all?

seconded. that's what's turning me off to Shakugan No Shana

Last edited by v1cious on Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total
InsaneLampshade

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:06 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
seconded. that's what's turning me off to Shakugan Non Shana

Uhh.... i don't remember Shana being filled with nudity? You sure you were watching the same program?
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:20 am Reply with quote
InsaneLampshade wrote:
v1cious wrote:

Uhh.... i don't remember Shana being filled with nudity? You sure you were watching the same program?

no but it is filled with lolicon fanservice.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:28 am Reply with quote
Main Page wrote:
Among other things, the book focuses on and attacks moe and lolicon interests and states that otaku discriminate against women.

Oh, so the latest reason that otaku are evil is because they discriminate against women? Well, I guess I can see how this is a valid criticism of otaku, considering that normal/mainstream Japanese men (and Japanese cultrue as a whole) are all about equal opportunity and don't discriminate against women at all Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Besides, even if they do discriminate against women, it's not like they're around real-life women enough to do any damage. Aside from killing and chopping up young girls, of course, but that's what statistics would call a "fringe case."

Sure, moe and lolicon can be a bit weird when taken to the extreme, but at base, they're not any more deviant than panty-vending machines.

I'm not quite sure what かせたい ("kasetai) means in the pic, but the rest is something like "Beyond high level (or high school) sexy panties."
Adv1sor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Zeiram wrote:
Mm, i can agree on the lolicon aspect. Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha is a great show, but i fail to understand the need for it to have nekkid 3rd graders to be a good show.

Naked 3rd graders do not equal lolicon. At least not in the mind of any healthy adult.
LilyChan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Ooh. o.o I want to get that book when and if it comes to the States. Sounds like an interesting read.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:37 pm Reply with quote
@Adv1sor: Why would a normal adult or teenage male have the need to watch naked 3rd graders?

Last edited by hikaru004 on Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zeiram

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Adv1sor wrote:
Zeiram wrote:
Mm, i can agree on the lolicon aspect. Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha is a great show, but i fail to understand the need for it to have nekkid 3rd graders to be a good show.

Naked 3rd graders do not equal lolicon. At least not in the mind of any healthy adult.

that it may be, but nonetheless. i'd like a good show with good intentions.
LilyChan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:52 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
@Adv1sor: Why would a normal adult or teenage male have the need to watch naked 3rd graders?

Probably for curiosity sake. Anime hyper Or they lost a bet...
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Hey. It's just like anything else in the entertainment industry: If you see it too many times and your mind's not right, then of course you'll believe it's true.

But hey. With all the crap us guys watch, I wonder what the women (will) watch.
Adv1sor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Zeiram wrote:
that it may be, but nonetheless. i'd like a good show with good intentions.

aye, so would I. Those types of scenes could just as easily be left out.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:55 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
InsaneLampshade wrote:
v1cious wrote:

no but it is filled with lolicon fanservice.

I have to disagree. I have found there to be almost no "lolicon" fanservice in Shakugan No Shana. However, it definatly is "moe".

What do you think of something like Mahoromatic? Or something like Ichigo Mashimaro, which has no nudity whatsoever, but is always being labled "pedorific"...
novem

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I, too, am not that thrilled by the trend towards lolicon and moe. In fact, I'm another person that's staying far, far away from Shakugan no Shana because some of the screencaps I've seen creep me out. For another example, I like Pani Poni Dash! but hate Beccy.

Ok, so while I can see that as a valid complaint, I think the whole "discriminating against women" thing is taking it all a bit too far. I'm a girl and have nothing against fanservice unless it's completely over the top or of really young characters. Just look at yaoi; there you have women more or less doing to same to men. Now, of course women don't dominate men in society, but I also highly doubt that any normal otaku would go out and treat their girlfriend, in the case that they could even get one or wanted one, millions of times worse or superficial than anyone else would.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zeiram

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:28 pm Reply with quote
i read somewhere that men prefer demon wives in japan

meh its just a documentary, it takes a side and a stance but the truth is far more complicated
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8