• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: So, I Can't Play H! episodes 7-12

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I hated the 2nd part of the series since Liara had those burn marks on her the whole time which was a real turn off. I guess thats someones fetish but it ruined it for me.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:53 pm Reply with quote
I disliked it because it focused too much on attempting a story, which wasn't very good at all. Stick to your one good attribute, ecchi show.
kanechin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:09 pm Reply with quote
The best part of Dakara H was when it stopped having new episodes......it sucks, a poor man's HS DxD.
N.R.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:16 am Reply with quote
The person who translate "Dakara H wa Dekinai" into English as "So, I Can't Play H!" obviously used Google Translate. That is so not the real translation to that title.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:04 am Reply with quote
N.R. wrote:
The person who translate "Dakara H wa Dekinai" into English as "So, I Can't Play H!" obviously used Google Translate. That is so not the real translation to that title.

That was what the Japanese production committee told Crunchy and others to use. All it says to me is that they don't know English well.
superdry

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:30 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
N.R. wrote:

That was what the Japanese production committee told Crunchy and others to use. All it says to me is that they don't know English well.

That's the alternate name also listed on the manga at least the current print run you can buy in stores. Yup...so blame the Japanese.

I agree with kanechin this is a poor man's HS DxD. I couldn't get through more than like 5 episodes before dropping no matter how tempting it was to continue watching it for Lisara.
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:38 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I disliked it because it focused too much on attempting a story, which wasn't very good at all. Stick to your one good attribute, ecchi show.

That's the problem I had with it too. Once it reached the halfway point of the airing(meaning ep. 6), it took too much time explaining everything that it killed the enjoyment of watching the show.

That and anyone whose watched these types of shows knew how it would the end in epi. 12. The childhood friend would friend-zoned for life and the tsundere would act like she can't be with him up until the end.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:09 am Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
N.R. wrote:

That's the alternate name also listed on the manga at least the current print run you can buy in stores. Yup...so blame the Japanese.

I agree with kanechin this is a poor man's HS DxD. I couldn't get through more than like 5 episodes before dropping no matter how tempting it was to continue watching it for Lisara.

That's how I saw it too. Though, for me, I saw So I Can't Play H! first, and then watched High School DxD later - and I'm very glad I did. So I Can't Play H! is just trying too hard to be DxD and failing miserably. DxD at least has a half-decent story (which is a fun read in the novels). End result, DxD got another season whereas I imagine So I Can't Play H! will be forgotten completely.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:35 am Reply with quote
I find these unfavorable comparisons to High School DxD very curious, since that one so failed to impress me that I didn't bother to watch it out. Apparently it got better as the series wore on?

And I guess I'm in the small minority for actually liking what this one did. (Of course, this could partly be because I find Risara to be sexier than most of the big-breasted floozies out there.)

Oh, well; it would hardly be the first time that's happened. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:50 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I find these unfavorable comparisons to High School DxD very curious, since that one so failed to impress me that I didn't bother to watch it out. Apparently it got better as the series wore on?

And I guess I'm in the small minority for actually liking what this one did. (Of course, this could partly be because I find Risara to be sexier than most of the big-breasted floozies out there.)

Oh, well; it would hardly be the first time that's happened. Rolling Eyes

i enjoyed this show, but not as much as i though i would, and i dont know why. something just didn't click. As for High School DxD, yes, it did get better. the last episode in particular was glorious and set the bar for the action part of the series. Issei finally became everything Rias kept telling him he would turn out to be, and apparently it only gets better from there
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Highschool DxD fan who couldn't get past eppie 4 of So, I Can't Play H! checking in. I found the latter boring and utterly charmless. Didn't care about a single relationship or any of the characters or any of the storylines I saw. DxD was tons more fun.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:16 pm Reply with quote
The thing with High School DxD is that it was a good action anime that ALSO had boobs (and also a far better selection of girls... Koneko <3). Dakara only had boobs, and the story and action were terrible. DxD is the kinda show where you get interested enough in the story that a lot of people went to read the novels afterwards just to find out what happened next... There are good fanservice shows and bad ones, and this is an example of that.

Plus, Dakara never even showed the best girl naked.. always covering her with hair or other ways. The hell was up with that?
Key

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:16 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
DxD is the kinda show where you get interested enough in the story that a lot of people went to read the novels afterwards just to find out what happened next...

At what point did this start happening? I think I saw the first two episodes, and those didn't grab me as being anything special story-wise. (I gave the first ep very high marks for visuals and music but still only a 2.5/5 overall.) And for whatever reason the fan service in that one didn't hook me, and normally I'll watch a series like that just for the fan service.

Quote:
There are good fanservice shows and bad ones, and this is an example of that.

Oh, I agree with the first part of your statement completely, just not the second part.

Quote:
Plus, Dakara never even showed the best girl naked.. always covering her with hair or other ways. The hell was up with that?

Not sure who you mean here. I thought the "best girl" was Risara.

Really, I'm not trying to criticize here, I'm just trying to figure out why common reaction seems to be so different from mine on these two series, especially since I'm normally on the other side of the issue (i.e., trying to explain why a fan service show isn't that good for reasons beyond the fan service). I will point out, though, that those who stopped watching this one early on might have your opinions changed by the second half.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:34 pm Reply with quote
To be perfectly honest, I was hooked from the moment I saw the ED (still the best ED of the year IMO). I'm a big fan of otaku battle shonen though... and adding boobs to it made it even better. While Dakara was also one of them, it just really didn't try to tell a good story or do anything outside of giving reasons for girls to lose their clothes during fights. With DxD, it has a giant central story and there are many major events and characters/factions hinted at that'll happen later on, and the characters are just far more likeable in general too. Its already gotten a sequel announced so I'm looking forward to seeing where they go with the story.

Oh, and I meant Quele for the best girl in Dakara.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Heres my two cents, this and Campoine are both drastically different from the light novel source.

Campoine though still remains and awesome anime, and is a lot more DxD then H is.

Heres the main problem with SO I cant play H. Nothing is explained, no character is developed everything is rushed. Who is the dad, was he the bad guy, if so why did he sleep with the mother and appear good and then end up a bad guy? Why the hell is Ryosokue going to die in 3 months and why is he called human, he is not, he is half human half shingami and his dad is one of the stronger shinigami in existence? The relationships to me feel underdeveloped between ryousuke and all the girls. What is the deal with the shinigami world in the first place, why does it exist and why is connected with humans? Whats the deal with the social structure? Who is the royal family, going by the anime at one point its liasara's family, then she is just a branch royal family, then her branch relation quele is said to be of royal blood, then lisara's family is implied to be the royal family again.

This show is not dxd so I wouldnt compare it to that, but what makes this show weak is not the source material, but the outright butchering of the material into the anime, and the complete lack of anything in the anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3