• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion is #4 in Japanese Music Royalties in Last 30 Years

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaiyanHero16

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Gotta love Shunsuke Kikuchi.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sainta

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:29 pm Reply with quote
DBZ had some good background music so I was kind of happy when they added them to DBZKai (although it did not fit very well with such fast pacing).

The only Zeta Gundam theme I remember is the one used in every single fist fight scene. And the Japanese songs were never shown in English releases due to copyright issues.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:47 pm Reply with quote
I love the Pocket Monsters BGM. Even if it's just remixes from the game, Miyazaki does a great job bringing them to life outside the game. I prefer the anime versions of a lot of the game's music because of that. Hakutai Woods: Game VS Anime
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Does Yoko Takahashi get any royalties from it? She's technically the one that brought C.A.T. to life
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:23 am Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
The only Zeta Gundam theme I remember is the one used in every single fist fight scene. And the Japanese songs were never shown in English releases due to copyright issues.

They couldn't use the songs in North American releases without ponying up tons of money, due to Neil Sedaka composing the music, but at least Animax Asia's English-subtitled broadcast had the original OP/ED themes. The subtitles themselves weren't up to R1 standards, though.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:58 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
sainta wrote:

They couldn't use the songs in North American releases without ponying up tons of money, due to Neil Sedaka composing the music, but at least Animax Asia's English-subtitled broadcast had the original OP/ED themes. The subtitles themselves weren't up to R1 standards, though.

We can forgive him!
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:17 pm Reply with quote
I always liked the music used in eva Smile
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:12 am Reply with quote
J-music is dying though. According to consumers, J-music isn't worth the price:

"A month after download law, consumers spending less on music: survey"

• Since the law came into effect, there have certainly been some changes, and many Internet users have become reluctant to click that download button for fear of receiving a hefty fine, meaning that the law has been a success in a way.

According to a recent statistical survey, however, since the law was passed, sales of music in Japan have continued to fall and consumers are actually showing less interest in music than ever before.

Is this the effect of the new download restrictions? Has Japan’s new draconian law actually had a negative effect on music sales? Or has the Japanese government simply noticed that music sales continue to fall and mistakenly pinpointed illegal downloads as the cause?

It’s interesting to see that, although one or two people suggest that the tough new law has put them off buying new music, the vast majority of responses suggest that – just maybe – the reason music sales have fallen so much recently is due to a general lack of interest and that new albums are simply not particularly good value for money.

It would seem that the public’s perception of the music industry has changed, and that fewer and fewer people are willing to invest their hard-earned cash in music that they simply use to fill the silence rather than sit and listen to for pleasure.

Perhaps the enormous rise in illegal downloads is a sign that people are interested enough in music to take it for free, but not so in love with what’s on offer that they’d willingly pay the asking price. There seems to be a general vibe on Japanese online message boards that, with the option to download removed, few people are interested in today’s music enough to pay, and so would rather not bother entirely.
DomonX2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:28 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
I love the Pocket Monsters BGM. Even if it's just remixes from the game, Miyazaki does a great job bringing them to life outside the game. I prefer the anime versions of a lot of the game's music because of that. Hakutai Woods: Game VS Anime

Is that guy who commented on the anime version you?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1