• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Miyazaki Misses Ceremony With Emperor Due to Work

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:44 am Reply with quote
Ouch. He couldn't miss a few hours to attend the most important award of his life? WITH THE EMPEROR? Kudos, man. I can't predict you.
manhiem

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:03 am Reply with quote
Well, given that this is the sort of work that he is receiving the award for, I guess they will understand. Still, even in this day and age, its a pretty bold thing to stand up the leader of your country.

In earlier times, he would have been forced to commit sepuku for this type of insolence.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:40 am Reply with quote
Oh Hayao, you hippy.
Momokochan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:57 am Reply with quote
Wow, one thing is skipping the Oscars for "moral" ideology ( which I find hypocritical really, else he would actually do something for the dying industry and low wages and mistreatment of animators. Just saying.)
But skipping tea and ceremony with the Royal family is just #RUDE. He might be talented, but he is really conceited. The success has really gone up his head :/
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:09 am Reply with quote
Momokochan wrote:
Wow, one thing is skipping the Oscars for "moral" ideology ( which I find hypocritical really, else he would actually do something for the dying industry and low wages and mistreatment of animators. Just saying.)
But skipping tea and ceremony with the Royal family is just #RUDE. He might be talented, but he is really conceited. The success has really gone up his head :/

Royal family has no power, they are just normal humans.
CrisGer A.A.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:26 am Reply with quote
I am sorry to say i am very disappointed in this bad behaviour. There is no excuse..he could have taken a little time to show respect. Not a good thing.
rheiders

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:30 am Reply with quote
Definitely seems like something he'd do! Laughing Still, though...Wow.
GaZsTiC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:13 am Reply with quote
Those people took time and money out of their own schedules, and Miyazaki threw it back in their faces.

Conceited...
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:19 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Momokochan wrote:

Royal family has no power, they are just normal humans.

Very well off, respected, and likely still somewhat revered humans. You don't see much in the way of anime or manga that poke fun of them harshly, while they lambast and berate politicians. Leaders of foreign nations meet with the Emperor and his family, and Miyazaki doesn't quite have that prestige himself. Perhaps he's met the Emperor many times and didn't feel like this particular occasion was necessary, or maybe he really couldn't leave work due to circumstances that would keep severely hinder his next work, and wasn't just him drawing more planes and plain girls. I hope it wasn't the latter.
scineram

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:49 am Reply with quote
Really? Just turn the damn thing down, then.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:50 am Reply with quote
manhiem wrote:
In earlier times, he would have been forced to commit sepuku for this type of insolence.

He'd be too busy with work to attend, and would send someone else to commit it for him.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:33 am Reply with quote
It's Japan. They'll commend his work ethic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
mgosdin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:38 am Reply with quote
Sad, just plain sad.

Mark Gosdin
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:25 am Reply with quote
No class.

It's funny - for some reason, I keep on forgetting that Japan actually has an emperor.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:07 am Reply with quote
Well, there's two reasons I think would make sense --- either he's gotten to that age where he doesn't care much about social stigma anymore and shrugged off the ceremony like he would any other, or his age has him concerned that he doesn't have many years left to work in animation and he decided to give his work the higher priority (sort of a passion similar to Osamu Tezuka in his later years). There's also the possibility that he wanted to make a point that the award doesn't mean anything to him (maybe it was previously received by someone he disliked, or maybe he's just pretentious when it comes to awards), or he may have a grudge against the Emperor that no one's aware of. He might have also seen the Emperor frequently in recent years, and figured they would understand him missing the ceremony in view of his workload.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3