• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: PlayStation: The Official Magazine to End with Holiday Issue

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Well, this doesn't really surprise me, first Nintendo and now Sony. I imagine in the next decade, gaming magazines either will cease to exist or be few and far between.

This was a decent magazine as well, but then again, so was Nintendo. But these days, given how far the internet has come since the 90's, it's no surprise.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:36 pm Reply with quote
It'll be like Fahrenheit 451 soon. We will have no further need of printed materials and we'll get our daily info intake from the glowing screens. =/
Mawdryn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:16 pm Reply with quote
All we need to know will eventually be transmitted directly to all our brains by the Great Oracle. There will be no need for reading then.
Twisted Evil
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Waw this is unexpected yet not that surprising. First NP and now PlayStation, next is probably Microsoft and x-box. These days there are countless websites, forums, walk through videos and other available resources online. The tips in these magazines are not needed like they were in the 90's-2000's. Big games have official guide books and everything else is always available via internet. Plus a lot of games now are not thought-provoking (as in they are simple linear experiences that do not require skill to complete, there is no satisfaction, you no longer feel proud of beating a game). Back in the day I felt like a hero when I actually BEAT a game, but now its just a small fraction of that satisfaction if the game was worthwhile at all.

Oh well, at least we got to enjoy that in our childhood, too bad that the newer generations wont ever know what its like to wait a whole month for a new NP or PlayStation magazine just to get useful tips to beat a level (or imply an enjoyable read out of it, some articles were well done"
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:57 am Reply with quote
So the only ones left are Xbox readers buying mags?
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:02 am Reply with quote
Is the Xbox official magazine next??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Raikuro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:38 am Reply with quote
Eh, each individual company didn't need their own magazine anymore anyway. And while Game Informer isn't the best, that Gamestop discount keeps people subscribed, which reduces the need to seek out another monthly video game magazine.
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:46 am Reply with quote
As with anime, the problem is mags aren't giving people what they want.

Mags can't keep up with the net for news so they shouldn't try.

As it is mags are just crap versions of whats on the net, except the net is for free.
thelastgogeta

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:08 am Reply with quote
Another case where the magazine cancelled is a US magazine... >_>
The UK's Official Nintendo Magazine and PlayStation Magazine still live (and probably the Xbox one is under the Future print here too)...

As far as printed publication on video games go, I mainly enjoyed/needed them prior to being invested in forums and news sites but today even kids can easily grab their parent's computer or phone to get in the know.

We will manage without them, though I do like the bonus feelies that the UK's Nintendo magazine tends to have. Or the rare occasions when there is a massive swell of information or when there is news so good that I feel like tipping the paper that broke it whether it's weeks later or if it's a leak.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:02 am Reply with quote
Man this magazine was still around. It's sad to see these publications go. It's like losing an old friend. But times are changing and much printed matter will be going more digital. Some have already. And Playstation magazine was a pretty expensive magazine mostly because of the demo game discs extras included.
jsc315

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:42 am Reply with quote
faintsmile1992 wrote:
As with anime, the problem is mags aren't giving people what they want.

Mags can't keep up with the net for news so they shouldn't try.

As it is mags are just crap versions of whats on the net, except the net is for free.

I disagree. Otaku USA is great with very solid and fair reviews as well as a bunch of other material in there. They very rarely do anything with news as they know they cant compete with the internet on that so they dont bother. Some of my favorite reviewers that do stuff online write for Otaku USA as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:01 pm Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:
I disagree. Otaku USA is great with very solid and fair reviews as well as a bunch of other material in there. They very rarely do anything with news as they know they can't compete with the internet on that so they don't bother. Some of my favorite reviewers that do stuff online write for Otaku USA as well.

Well hopefully that stays around.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Well, Xbox people still willing to pay, it seems.
sonryu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:23 pm Reply with quote
[sarcasm]I'm SO glad I just renewed my subscription last month[/sarcasm]. Really now, I better get a refund, and NOT an automatic subscription to Maxim like EGM did when they canceled (before restarting...). It's really sad to see these publications go. I prefer to flip through a physical magazine, so if this is switching to a digital format, count me out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:43 pm Reply with quote
When these gaming magazines only have a circulation of about 20,000, it's understandable. The average established YouTube video game Commentator/Let's Player ranges from 100,000 to 3,000,000 subscribers. More people are exposed to these people's opinions and thoughts on games than they are magazines. Some companies have adapted to this by hiring/paying them to play their stuff for advertisements, but some still seems some cling to the old ways of monthly paper. I'm genuinely surprised Nintendo and Sony bowed out before PC Gamer did given most of those Let's Players are more into PC Gaming.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2