• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lagrange Anime's English Dub Trailer Streamed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lady_Sage

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:59 am Reply with quote
This anime seems a lot like Eureka Seven, except with a predominantly female cast; I may have to check it out.

Minor gripe, though: I love Michelle Ruff (credited as Sophie Roberts for this dub) in most of her roles, but many of these dub studios need to get some new blood in their voice actor pools. Surely there must be some new talent out there somewhere.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:03 am Reply with quote
They've actually been switching it up a little. A couple of roles in this dub seem to be new comers. The same case for the Nura dub as well.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:16 am Reply with quote
It seems like no matter what dub comes out, no matter who's in it, there are two different complaints in relation to each other. Some cases both complaints occur for the same dub. Either the same several voice actors are used too many times or everyone bags on newer actors when there are new ones for a dub.

Mind you, I'm not trying to make an argument about it. I just couldn't help but make that observation. Also, THAT's how Lagrange is pronounced?! Because I could not for the life of me figure out how you say that.
Kurohei

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:31 am Reply with quote
Shows look good enough. Not big on the fan serves... But I always love English casts, where you only know a handful of the actors. Funimation hasn't been keeping up with this....
hojo 360

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:38 am Reply with quote
Is it Michelle Ruff??? if so the animenewsnetwork needs to get there act together lol as they make her look like a new VA Laughing
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:08 am Reply with quote
they try to make it sound more serious than it is
Animerican14

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:36 am Reply with quote
Heh, I think this ultra-serious narrator should've switched places with the narrator for the Berserk film that almost made it sound kid-friendly. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:51 am Reply with quote
Yeah, this trailer is completely setting the wrong tone for the series.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:04 am Reply with quote
Yeah, thats Michelle Ruff alright, even if she tries to hide it by using an alias.

And regarding the trailer.. they really made it seem way too serious. This is a fluffy yuri show with the mecha stuff taking the backseat.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:00 am Reply with quote
Bait-and-switch for the Neon Alley-type viewers?
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:05 am Reply with quote
The dub (at least, what I've heard of it) is way better than I expected it to be.

Also, was that Jamieson Price as Tadokoro?
Divineking

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:41 am Reply with quote
Seems Viz is taking tips from Funimation on how to make hilariously deceptive trailers. Laughing

Well at least it's not a completely ridiculous trailer and the dub itself sounds pretty good. Guess since most of the Neon Alley subscribers are action fans they felt they needed to do this. Either way can't wait to hear the dub in January.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:13 am Reply with quote
I think the serious tone is the joke...

Anyway, I was hoping to hear some Muginami.

As for getting new talent, anime voice acting is somewhat competitive. If California is anything like Texas, Karbowski has said (during her panel at Fresno Ani-Jam this year) that there is a long list of newcomers trying to get into the business alongside a long list of veterans trying to get the job.
MopZ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:57 am Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
I think the serious tone is the joke...

Anyway, I was hoping to hear some Muginami.

Her or the trap-maid at the end would have made the spoof funnier than it was. It kind of fails a bit and I can see some people being mislead by the trailer, which is a bit funnier if you've seen the series.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:05 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Yeah, thats Michelle Ruff alright, even if she tries to hide it by using an alias.

And regarding the trailer.. they really made it seem way too serious. This is a fluffy yuri show with the mecha stuff taking the backseat.

Lagrange is a fluffy mecha show with no yuri {Vandread was more yuri than this was}. And there's barely any shoujo ai as it's all the *nudge nudge* crap used to lure in the fan base without being definite in any sense. It's like if Bee Train decided to make a mecha show.

I'm glad that's Michelle Ruff, as I thought that actress was doing a great Yuki Nagato voice. So I guess it's nice to know a talented vocal performer is phoning it in. But to be fair, it all depends on how she barks...

As for the trailer, I agree it was too serious - up to a point. Then it leveled out. Kind of like the show, really. It did start a little ominous.

Anyway, good show, beautiful design and animation, I have no idea how Viz got it and decided to dub it. For a premier on a exclusive streaming service...

Wait, who are they trying to get for an audience? I have many DVD players but no PS3...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2