• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st 2 Madoka Magica Films to Play in Kansas City

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeopower6

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Very interesting choice in venue. Wonder if it'll do well and become a new stop for the 3rd movie if/when that comes out?
Animerican14

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Geez, the closest the movie will probably ever be to me before it hits the U.S. dvd/blu-ray market, and it's the day right before Thanksgiving? GUH.

If it wouldn't totally awkward and totally weird-- and awfully insensitive to the family back in St. Louis and my own slight homesickness-- I'd try to see if I could travel back with my roommate to his home in the KC area.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Kansas city? I thought for sure they would show it in St. Louis first.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:43 am Reply with quote
Why the hell are they showing two anime movies in [insults removed]?

I mean, Kansas is the LAST place I'd expect to see Madoka in.

[Mod Edit: If you're going to single out an entire region and it's people please do so in a less deragatory and insulting fashion. - Keonyn]
Animerican14

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:49 am Reply with quote
yotsubafanfan wrote:
Kansas city? I thought for sure they would show it in St. Louis first.

I think you might be unaware just how much Saint Louis gets shafted by big media/entertainment events as compared to KC Wink (though there have been some exceptions, like Lady Gaga's tour stop in STL a couple years back). This may be because Kansas City might technically be a more densely populated city than the City of Saint Louis... which I think is a pretty unfair reason because then the significance of Saint Louis County is being overlooked (which, last time I checked, has over 2 million people living in it and is probably the largest suburban-metropolitan community in Missouri). And all the more unfair since, if it somehow DOES come to St. Louis at some point, I won't be in St. Louis anymore for Thanksgiving break! ;A;

Chagen46 wrote:

Geez, where the heck did that bigotry come from? And it's not even the deep South we're talking about; we're talking about the red and blue midwest here-- and in a metropolitan area that for better or for worse is a large blue city in a reddish purple state.

Furthermore, read a little more closely-- they're showing the movies in Kansas City, MO and not Kansas City, KS. (Mainly because the Missouri side of KC is more heavily populated, for some reason.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Etrien

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:50 am Reply with quote
Good for you, Kansassouri. You've come a long way.

Animerican14 wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

Geez, where the heck did that bigotry come from? And it's not even the deep South we're talking about; we're talking about the red and blue midwest here-- and in a metropolitan area that for better or for worse is a large blue city in a reddish purple state.

Furthermore, read a little more closely-- they're showing the movies in Kansas City, MO and not Kansas City, KS. (Mainly because the Missouri side of KC is more heavily populated, for some reason.)

Kansas is pretty deep red as a state, but KC is one of the more liberal areas, and Lawrence, Kansas (about 30 minutes away) is pretty much the liberal hub for the whole state. So, KC is a pretty reasonable place if they're looking for a midwest anime fan congregation.

EDIT: Also, I think Johnny Yong Bosch and Kari Wahlgren would take issue with your KC hate. Wink Stereotypes aren't everything.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:45 am Reply with quote
Etrien wrote:
Good for you, Kansassouri. You've come a long way.

Animerican14 wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

Kansas is pretty deep red as a state, but KC is one of the more liberal areas, and Lawrence, Kansas (about 30 minutes away) is pretty much the liberal hub for the whole state. So, KC is a pretty reasonable place if they're looking for a midwest anime fan congregation.

EDIT: Also, I think Johnny Yong Bosch and Kari Wahlgren would take issue with your KC hate. Wink Stereotypes aren't everything.

Hay there, I'm a liberal college student who loves anime and lives in KC. So I think I am quite qualified to say that Chagen46 mad a very moronic statement. KC is actually a very liberal city with major populations of all religions including a large atheist population (which I would be a member of). Also Animerican14 is quite right, the main part of KC that most people think of (and where this theater can be found) is actually located in Missouri, not Kansas (thank god).

I'd also like to point out that KC has a very large anime fan population and hosts Naka-Kon which is one of the larger anime conventions in the midwest. Also it's not really shocking that Screenland at the Crossroads (Crossroads being KC's famous art district) is showing the Madkoka films considering that they actually have a long record of showing anime films. This is where I was able to see all the Eva reboot films as well as the recent Trigun movie, they also plan on showing the live action Battleship Yamato movie.

So in conclusion might I suggest that Chagen46 actually come and visit KC,MO and see these movies while he's in town. I'm sure he'd realize a thing or two about how stupid his comment really was.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragon695

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:38 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

Screw you, I want to see it come to Atlanta or maybe Charlotte! The deep south could certainly use some Madoka love!
Etrien

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:08 am Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

Screw you, I want to see it come to Atlanta or maybe Charlotte! The deep south could certainly use some Madoka love!

^ Be careful what you wish for.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:09 am Reply with quote
This is amazing news! This theater showed Evangelion 2.0 as well, so I was hoping to see more anime there. You can bet I will be there!!

...But hey, really, stop hating on Kansans. We're not all terrible bible-beaters, I promise.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:45 am Reply with quote
Chagen couldn't even be bothered to see that it's being played in Mizureh; do you really expect him to make a well-informed critique of the region?

Also, I find his lack of tolerance amusing, given that he of all people needs it badly.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm still surprised that it's not scheduled to be shown here in Boston. Summer Wars played at the Museum of Fine Arts here when it was on tour. With our high concentrations of educational institutions and hospitals, it should not be surprising that a third of the residents of Suffolk County, where Boston is located, are between 15 and 29 years of age. About 8-9% of the population is Asian, though mostly Chinese and Vietnamese. You would think having as large a population of university students as we do here would make showing Madoka commercially viable.

Maybe I should move to Kansas City.
Nineofclubs

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:58 pm Reply with quote
comeonnnn san antonio or austin.
Hoofbites

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Awesome! I live in Topeka and have been to this theater three times (for the first two Rebuild of Evangelion movies and the Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood movie), so I'll have to try to pencil this in.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Nineofclubs wrote:
comeonnnn san antonio or austin.

This. Either of those two cities is more deserving than KC and I'm obviously not saying that because I live in San Antonio and Austin is like 2 hours from here
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2