• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Hellsing Ultimate BD/DVD Set 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geishageek

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:44 am Reply with quote
I double dipped on this soley for the fact that Studio Madhouse (who animated episodes 5-7) went back and re-touched a ton of the original Satelight footage for the Blu-ray release, and it looks a ton better than the original. The updated animation and improved detail was worth the double dip and upgrade to Blu-Ray for me.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:41 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
lem and NJ_, thank you for the information on the sets.

However, I do have to take issue with this comment:
lem wrote:
The blu ray sound and pic quality are more than reason enough for anyone to want to buy this again.

I love how you assume that people have BD players, HD TVs, and want BD over DVD.[/sarcasm] My roommate, who is the one who wanted to know, nor I, have access to a BD player, and our TV has problems with clarity off of an Xbox 360's output. Neither of us can afford a new TV, nor BD player, nor do we have room for a HD TV. We're perfectly happy with DVD, and she's actually rather annoyed/upset that companies are forcing her to buy BDs just to get the DVDs she wants. And she regularly rants to me on how, for most releases, the picture quality is so minimally improved that it's not even worth it.

You can afford 50 DVD sets but not a 300 dollar HDTV and a 70 dollar BD player? I have a 32 inch LED HDTV and the difference between regular dvds and BDs is large {Not so much for overly mastered thanks DVDs but whatever; Not every DVD is a dog compared to BD}. It actually makes some of my DVDs look like VHS quality. "Huh, you're playing that? Well, alright...", it seems to say, mocking my viewing choice. "Get a good look, a good long look, loser."

I like BD/DVD sets as my computer only plays DVDs so I watch both {Don't know how long that will last; DVDs on on their way out as it is}. Everytime Sentai offers up their BD sets at a higher price than Funimations with less content, I can't reason myself into purchasing it.

Hellsing OVA? Pass for now. A complete collection, that could be ok....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm on the fence about this one. We watched Hellsing in my club and I didn't really like it, but I have always heard that Ultimate was much better. However after reading the reviews I don't think it is the type of show I would like at all (I don't usually like vampires or lots of gore) but I kind of still want to watch it to see what everyone is talking about (and also to see more of Alucard who is one of the coolest characters to appear in an anime).
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:11 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
SereneChaos wrote:
lem wrote:
Audio Options are:
English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
Japanese DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
Subtitles can be turned ON or OFF for either language.

It has dubtitles? Sweet! No way am I not buying this now. I've always wanted dubtitles to be standard, so the fact that they're on a release I was already intending to buy makes it easy to make the decision.

Where did you get the idea that it has dubtitles? What lem meant is that the Blu-ray subtitles are not locked to the Japanese audio like some of FUNi's BDs are.

Woops, I thought that meant there were separate subtitles for each language. Oh well. Sad
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
You can afford 50 DVD sets but not a 300 dollar HDTV and a 70 dollar BD player?

No, I can't afford 50 DVD sets. I'd be surprised if I even own 50 DVDs total (most of those singles), that I've been collecting since I got out of college 10 years ago.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:55 pm Reply with quote
it was definitely wise on Geneon's side to bring back the TV cast for the OVA.

Hopefully funi wont screw things over and try something different,though personally i would rather have Manga Ent handle the series since this type of genere is their main cup of tea.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
doubleO7

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:44 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

Hopefully funi wont screw things over and try something different,though personally i would rather have Manga Ent handle the series since this type of genere is their main cup of tea.

No need to worry about the voice cast. Its already been confirmed that FUNi has reunited the entire original cast for their set containing episodes 5-8.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
_If_ I buy the new OVAs again at all, it'll be as a complete 10 OVA BD set.

Not a matter of if but when for me. I would like to think FUNi will give the option of a mega-box when 9+10 come out, but the voices in my head tell me that's just not very likely to happen.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:28 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

No need to worry about the voice cast. Its already been confirmed that FUNi has reunited the entire original cast for their set containing episodes 5-8.

well that is a relief. it would have been bloody murder if it wasn't.

lets just hope they dont do anything stupid to vol 5-8.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:13 pm Reply with quote
geishageek wrote:
I double dipped on this soley for the fact that Studio Madhouse (who animated episodes 5-7) went back and re-touched a ton of the original Satelight footage for the Blu-ray release, and it looks a ton better than the original. The updated animation and improved detail was worth the double dip and upgrade to Blu-Ray for me.

Same, I was going to double-dip for the better video and audio quality of BD anyway, but when I learned they were re-animating stuff for the BD release back when it was in the works for Japan, that definitely sealed the deal too.

On the topic of extras, I still love that these interviews with the cast are longer than usual. Smile
Norbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:51 am Reply with quote
Whats with the ending credits?

I thought they might be a preview for next episodes, but what we see never happens in the upcoming episodes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2