• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Viz Properties from NATPE

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
animalia555

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I hope MAR gets an uncut bilingual release
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Before anyone complains about Viz "licensing" titles and then sitting on them with no home video plans, please understand the reality of the situation.

Viz has not "licensed" these shows. As the global rights handler for parent company Shogakukan, it effectively owned these titles from day one.

Should a network show interest in acquiring broadcast rights to anyone of these shows, a dub would then have to be made. At that time, I'd guess that it would make sense for Viz to release the home videos.

In other cases, they might see enough demand for a property that they might release it without a TV deal, but my GUESS is that's much less likely.

-t
stagedive_25

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I was at NAPTE last week and I went over to the Viz booth. It was pretty small considering that Viz have really elaborate booths at Anime Expo. But then again that event was NATPE and its a business to business event and it's hella expensive just to pay for registration there.

ADV(they had an AWESOME exhibition booth last year but was bearly able to find them this year), Central Park Media, TV Tokyo, Toei Animation and some other Japanese animation companies were there.

With all the Japanese anime companies showing up to NAPTE all the time, I think it's a great place for US anime distributors to go in order to pick up licenses if they can fork over the money.
hikaru393

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:08 pm Reply with quote
so right now viz isnt going to release mar or the prince of tennis on dvd then?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:51 pm Reply with quote
What's odd about this article is that Megaman Axess has already been on TV so you would think it didn't have to be pushed, although with the formation of the CW, this may not be a sure thing anymore.

I'm actually a little surprised that Viz is pushing Zoids Genesis since I always thought that Zoids was tradtionally a Bandai property.
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
I'm actually a little surprised that Viz is pushing Zoids Genesis since I always thought that Zoids was tradtionally a Bandai property.

Not to mention that the Zoids franchise has more or less died since Zoids Fuzors failed and was taken off the air. Still have to say that the best Zoids was the first one (Chaotic Century here in North America), though they were all pretty basic anime. But as childhood memories...that's where everything is awesome.

EDIT: Yeah, it was Fuzors, not Fusion, sorry. Thanks Shouta.

Last edited by Necros Antiquor on Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Viz got Mar and Prince Of Tennis? they seem more like Funimation titles.
Cave

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:40 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

Should a network show interest in acquiring broadcast rights to anyone of these shows, a dub would then have to be made. At that time, I'd guess that it would make sense for Viz to release the home videos.

From a big Prince of Tennis fan, I can only hope you are right. I have been looking forward to when Prince of Tennis was licensed and I could finally hold the DVDs in my hand.
Shouta

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:46 am Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
Not to mention that the Zoids franchise has more or less died since Zoids Fusion failed and was taken off the air. Still have to say that the best Zoids was the first one (Chaotic Century here in North America), though they were all pretty basic anime. But as childhood memories...that's where everything is awesome.

It's Zoids Fuzors =P

But yeah, I was surprised to see Genesis on the list. I doubt it'll be put up for American broadcast or domestic release at all though since Fuzors bombed hard here (although the second half was supposedly very good). Zoids Genesis is my favorite Zoids at the moment, very good series overall and a bit more complex than the other series without being bloated.
arxane

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:05 am Reply with quote
hikaru393 wrote:

From what I hear, a dub is currently being produced for "MAR", so Viz must be wanting to push that title as hard as they can. They won't confirm it, of course. As for "Prince of Tennis"...pray.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:40 am Reply with quote
arxane wrote:
hikaru393 wrote:

From what I hear, a dub is currently being produced for "MAR", so Viz must be wanting to push that title as hard as they can. They won't confirm it, of course. As for "Prince of Tennis"...pray.

It's too bad Viz doesn't have a Shonen Sunday line, or they'd be able to build up another guaranteed market for series like MAR to directly relate to Inuyasha, Zatch Bell, and Case Closed. Although, it's not beyond my belief to expect MAR on Toonami towards the end of the year.

And I am truly hoping for some good to come out of The Prince of Tennis.
Nerdboy Himself

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:37 am Reply with quote
arxane wrote:
From what I hear, a dub is currently being produced for "MAR", so Viz must be wanting to push that title as hard as they can.

Perhaps this reflects positively on the chances of the MÄR video games being released stateside.
Hideyuki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:34 pm Reply with quote
We can only hope that some fitness TV station suddenly decides to air anime....

Maybe then we can get Whistle too Anime hyper

Ah, PoT.... come to me Anime smile

that reminds me, I still have to pick up some Hikaru Anime hyper
LilyChan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Oh dear....I wonder if the PoT fans are GENERALLY either excited or outraged by it. Anime hyper

So I guess it's a good thing. I don't think they'll tear apart Prince of Tennis that much. From what I've seen, it's just another sports anime. O_o
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1