• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cartoon Network to Air Ghibli Movies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rocklobster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one here who likes this idea?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Mugen The Great

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:41 pm Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:
(sigh) I can see that we are not going to agree.

I would be focusing on the positive aspects of it, IF I didn't think that there was some kind of ulterior motive. In addition, maybe I don't have proof, but you can't take everything you see at face value (TOON just "happening" to show the Ghibli movies after TCM), nor can you believe everything you hear (specifically, the whole "separate network" nonsense; "Nick at Nite" is a "separate network", but they're technically still Nickelodeon, however, I digress).

Look, the Ghibli movies may technically be anime, but unlike Toonami, the mere fact that they are anime is, in this case, and in this case only, just a coincidence. In the case of the Ghibli movies. They might as well be airing live-action films in this case.

[quote=Kouji]Just because Cartoon Network is airing live-action films doesn't mean they'll be airing children's movies on Adult Swim.

With all due respect, you really don't know that. Trust me, it's that serious.

Look, believe what you want, but as I said, you can't take everything at face value, and you can't always believe everything you hear. Plus, given TOON's past history, benefit of the doubt can't really apply in this case.

Sayonara.[/quote]

What is bad about CN airing movies that both fit with their network (unlike the live-action movies) and that are actually good (again, unlike the live-action movies they've aired)? Who cares if they're promoted as anime or not? Would you rather have them bring back DICE and advertise it as anime? No you wouldn't because DICE sucks. Spirited Away on the other hand is an amazing movie and how can you be against it airing? If Adult Swim did air Totoro that would be a problem, but there is no problem with Spirited Away airing on Cartoon Network.

Also, Adult Swim wouldn't air it because AS is run by different executives than regular CN. CN's execs are obviously not too bright given the live-action decision but AS's execs actually know their stuff about anime and wouldn't air a G-rated kiddy film (a PG-13 kiddy film or a G-rated adult film would be a different matter, but they wouldn't air something like Totoro or Kiki). Content wouldn't be any issue with Totoro on general CN given that Spirited Away is way more violent than Totoro so I don't see why Totoro and Kiki would air on AS. If that does happen, I won't say you didn't warn me, but this is no reason for you to boycott Ghibli on CN.
rocklobster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:36 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Mugen The Great"]
TheHTRO wrote:
(sigh) I can see that we are not going to agree.

I would be focusing on the positive aspects of it, IF I didn't think that there was some kind of ulterior motive. In addition, maybe I don't have proof, but you can't take everything you see at face value (TOON just "happening" to show the Ghibli movies after TCM), nor can you believe everything you hear (specifically, the whole "separate network" nonsense; "Nick at Nite" is a "separate network", but they're technically still Nickelodeon, however, I digress).

Look, the Ghibli movies may technically be anime, but unlike Toonami, the mere fact that they are anime is, in this case, and in this case only, just a coincidence. In the case of the Ghibli movies. They might as well be airing live-action films in this case.

[quote=Kouji]Just because Cartoon Network is airing live-action films doesn't mean they'll be airing children's movies on Adult Swim.

With all due respect, you really don't know that. Trust me, it's that serious.

Look, believe what you want, but as I said, you can't take everything at face value, and you can't always believe everything you hear. Plus, given TOON's past history, benefit of the doubt can't really apply in this case.

Quote:

What is bad about CN airing movies that both fit with their network (unlike the live-action movies) and that are actually good (again, unlike the live-action movies they've aired)? Who cares if they're promoted as anime or not? Would you rather have them bring back DICE and advertise it as anime? No you wouldn't because DICE sucks. Spirited Away on the other hand is an amazing movie and how can you be against it airing? If Adult Swim did air Totoro that would be a problem, but there is no problem with Spirited Away airing on Cartoon Network.

Actually, Dice is anime. It was made by a Japanese studio called Xebec, the same studio that made Zoids. So, do some research!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
rocklobster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:39 pm Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:

Actually, Dice is anime. It was made by a Japanese studio called Xebec, the same studio that made Zoids. So, do some research! That comment would be more appropriate for something like, say, Dragon Booster or Avatar
Mugen The Great

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:43 am Reply with quote
rocklobster wrote:
TheHTRO wrote:

Actually, Dice is anime. It was made by a Japanese studio called Xebec, the same studio that made Zoids. So, do some research! That comment would be more appropriate for something like, say, Dragon Booster or Avatar

YOU ARE NOT GETTING MY POINT! My point is that I don't care that DICE is anime because it's a show that's so terrible that it shouldn't be on TV. People shouldn't care about a show's country of origin and should care about the quality of the show itself.

And for the record, I like Avatar a lot and I'd much rather have it air than most animes, despite the fact that it's American.
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:33 am Reply with quote
The Ghibli movies are special. They're not just any old anime. You can't just show them any old time. That being said, TOON is taking the films too lightly by putting them in their "Fridays" block. Showing them so casually, IMO, is an infringement (for lack of a better word) on the films' "classic" value. Showing them so casually makes them look dated, like they're not of any importance, like they're just disposable entertainment. It would be like showing Snow White (a non-anime; the timeless Disney classic from 1937) or something. However, TOON either: doesn't realize this, or simply doesn't give a hoot. If Hayao Miyazaki found out about this, how would he react? In any event, these films are different, and can and should only be shown on special occasions, and when the time is right. Celebrating Miyazaki's birthday meets both criteria, casually showing them on TOON's "Fridays" block meets neither.

Anyway, I just think that Turner Broadcasting had planned to show them on TOON from the outset, but since Miyazaki's birthday was coming up, they decided to show them on TCM first. Look, I just don't think the whole thing is a coincidence. Another possibility is that TOON is just filling programming space while they decide on what to do next for "Fridays" (in other words, it might just be filler since they can't just go off the air). In other words, something might have happened (e.g., involving episode aquisitions or whatever) behind the scenes and the next "real" edition of "Fridays" has been postponed until then, and so we're being given this film in order to give us something to think about until then.

Alright, so I don't have any proof, but this is the most likely scenario in considersation of what I do know.
Kouji

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:50 am Reply with quote
So, other anime aren't special as long as you don't like them? Now you're just being stupid. How is it a bad thing that Cartoon Network is airing Spirited Away on Friday night? Friday night at 7:00 p.m. is the best time these movies can be aired. It's an even better time than the timeslots TCM aired these movies because people are actually HOME on Friday nights to watch these movies and kids don't have to worry about school the next day, so they can watch it with no problems. You have proven once again that your complaints make abosuletly zero sense. The only reason why I can see you're whining about this is because Cartoon Network isn't airing some big old special about Miyazaki-san while praising his films to no end and airing these movies both subbed and dubbed, so you feel the need to go on this biased holy anti-Cartoon Network crusade just because you're not getting your precious little way as if the world revolves around you. Well, wake up out of your fantasy world and stop dreaming because you don't always get your way. If you don't want to watch these movies on Cartoon Network, don't watch it, but don't go around spreading biased unproven conspiracy theories to try and get other people to side with your completely pointless complaints unless you have VISABLE PROOF that they're true and if you can actually make yourself sound smart when you do.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:20 am Reply with quote
Just so you know, I personally like the Ghibli movies, but that doesn't mean I don't like other anime. My thinking isn't so limited. I am not biased in any way towards anything.

I'm sorry that my position makes it sound that way. I really didn't mean to imply anything. I just don't think it's the right time or place to show them. In any case, I can also see that we're not going to get anywhere with this, so let's all just agree to disagree.

"To each his own", as they say.

Sad Crying or Very sad Anime cry

PS: So I don't have any proof. Fine. And yet, your reaction seems to indicate that I might not be far from the truth (if not necessarily what I think it to be).
Neev

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Hello Everyone Cool

I know CN aired Spirited Away last week, Which I watched Wink and enjoyed !

My question is, I thought I remember them mentioning friday how they would air more movies on friday night, I turned on tonight and its there normal friday shows being aired.

My question is are they going to show more animes on friday? I looked on the CN website, but maybe Im not looking hard enough >.<

Thanks Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3