• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Section23 Films Announces February Slate [2012-11-14]

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I haven't heard much real talk about Kamisama Dolls since it premiered last July, so I'm surprised to see that getting the dub-and-BD treatment.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:31 pm Reply with quote
the synopsis for Qwasar is rather amusing
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Waiting in the summer, the lesser cousin of Please Teacher and Please Twins - Was the title Please Summer not available? It was ok if not as dramatic as I would have liked it. Great work by Yukari Tamura with keeping in character in series. Yeah, it has no dub as who would be stupid enough to dub romantic/Sci fi comedies in this enviroment? Besides Them, I mean?

Same with Listen to Me Girls, I'm Your Father!, minus the Please connection and replacing Tamura with Yui Horie. Fun show, wish Hulu had the whole thing. Yeah it has no dub as who'd be stupid and so on.

Kamisama Dolls, dubbed. Ok, never heard of it so I'll look it up; Are they meant to be wooden mechas? Old, ancient maybe wooden mechas? Really haven't heard of it and maybe it should stay that way...

Battle Girls, dubbed. Never seen it though I've heard of it dismissively once. Maybe. Sentai dubbing a show about samurai girls? The only one they didn't dub is the one I wanted dubbed. No, wait, they were Chinese so they obviously weren't samurai, my mistake.

Message to Sentai. *ahem*
What the Hell?
End of message.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:51 pm Reply with quote
azabaro wrote:
I haven't heard much real talk about Kamisama Dolls since it premiered last July, so I'm surprised to see that getting the dub-and-BD treatment.

I don't post too much, so I might not have said anything anyway, but I haven't seen it (episodes, trailers, or even reviews, and if I've seen any promo art, I don't recall what it looks like) so I can't comment on it.

Until I get around to watching it (which might or might not happen), it is not a title that I'm giving any thought to purchasing.
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Waiting in the summer, the lesser cousin of Please Teacher and Please Twins - Was the title Please Summer not available?

Sentai is going with that name because that's title after being translated. As for using please in the name, take it up with the creators(since they picked the title of the show). It's probably due to the fact that up until the final episode, it's not really shown that it's linked to the Please Teacher/Twins shows.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:09 pm Reply with quote
I liked Kamisama Dolls quite a bit. Lots of good fight scenes and interesting characters. Too bad it was left so incomplete, and even worse the source material is on going. I'll probably get it, but I'm not 100% sure of that yet.
SaiyanHero16

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to Kamisama Dolls
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:25 am Reply with quote
It baffling to me that Letter Bee isn't getting an English dub it seems like a no-brainer really what were they thinking dubbing all these other subpar shows and not dubbing the one truly interesting anime that they picked up in recent months. I'm also curious to see if they will be dubbing Another I assumed it will be released by now more waiting I suppose.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:39 am Reply with quote
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
It baffling to me that Letter Bee isn't getting an English dub it seems like a no-brainer really what were they thinking dubbing all these other subpar shows and not dubbing the one truly interesting anime that they picked up in recent months. I'm also curious to see if they will be dubbing Another I assumed it will be released by now more waiting I suppose.

"Sub par and the one interesting anime, according to me: I Am the Vast Universe." Besides, it looks like more than half of that list is sub only: Ano Natsu, Qwaser, Listen to Me Girls, Letter Bee. I'm kind of surprised they are dubbing the select few, it's like their choices have no rhyme of reason, they just pick some to be dubbed, and some not to be.
Shinn AsukaGSD

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:27 am Reply with quote
I was surprised they got listen to me girls am ur father.then i saw only english subtitles thats a epic fail.
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:37 am Reply with quote
What's there to be surprised about? They had it form nearly the beginning.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:10 pm Reply with quote

Another was already confirmed for bluray and dub. It also is being released in the UK and Australia, which usually increases the chance of both (though it's not always a guarantee.) However, it's a Kadokowa title and there have been a lot of hold ups lately with their bluray releases in the US due to reverse importation fears. It's why things like Strike Witches and others had been delayed repeatedly or even had their blurays cancelled. They are probably just waiting for the go-ahead, so they don't have to release it like Guin Saga (an Aniplex title) with a DVD first and a bluray following later.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:13 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

"Sub par and the one interesting anime, according to me: I Am the Vast Universe." Besides, it looks like more than half of that list is sub only: Ano Natsu, Qwaser, Listen to Me Girls, Letter Bee. I'm kind of surprised they are dubbing the select few, it's like their choices have no rhyme of reason, they just pick some to be dubbed, and some not to be.

Nearly all of their titles that get dubbed are also licensed in either the UK, Australia, or both. They also generally had good streaming or VOD numbers. Most of the subtitled releases either have no other English language company releasing them or they didn't want to pitch in with the costs, the streaming numbers were bad, the title is older, little known, or was simply thrown in with another license that Sentai really wanted.

There is a rhyme and reason to their decisions. It's called money. When you have other companies to help support the cost of a dub, it's easier to produce. When you don't, it's a very expensive proposition, especially for less mainstream series.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Listen to me Girls, I'm your father sounds...interesting... Should I watch this? Is it funny? Should I put it on my queue?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Listen to me Girls, I'm your father sounds...interesting... Should I watch this? Is it funny? Should I put it on my queue?

Did you see Aishiteruze Baby? It's like that, but less shoujosei.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2