• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: DMI Puts All Print Releases on Hiatus in January-June 2013

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geishageek

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:05 pm Reply with quote
I have waited this long for the last Ai No Kusabi novel.. I guess I can wait another 8 months. But delaying the final volume of Tyrant really urks me...
glitchhunter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Ehh, switching the focus to digital. That sucks. Can't stand digital manga. Would hardly read it at all if it were all digitial.
falloutgal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Alarm bells are ringing... What's going on? Are they in financial trouble? Hope someone can tell me I'm overreacting.
fencer_x

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:29 pm Reply with quote
geishageek wrote:
I have waited this long for the last Ai No Kusabi novel.. I guess I can wait another 8 months. But delaying the final volume of Tyrant really urks me...

lol I'm playing my tiny violin that you have to wait a few more months to see how Souichi gets raped and blackmailed some more.

So, so sad...
Peebs

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:37 pm Reply with quote
[quote="falloutgal"]Alarm bells are ringing... What's going on? Are they in financial trouble? Hope someone can tell me I'm overreacting.[/quote]

Of course that's the first thing we'll think of when something like this is announced. You're not the only one overreacting to this news. And they're gonna focus on digital manga just so they can gouge consumers with their high prices for manga? That's why I refuse to get any of their DMG products. They're overpriced and quality-wise not really worth what they're charging. I'm all for supporting the original artists, but not when mediocre localizations are released to the public under the guise of licenses, I have to put my foot down and say no.
誤称

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Wait, they release in print? Rofl.
PrettyKitty$$$$$

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:42 pm Reply with quote
This doesn't sound good. I'm having Tokyopop flashbacks.
timesteel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing the only reason they are still printing the tezuka tittles is because the print run was already paid for.
sakuragtin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Ugh. Now there is only one yaoi print publisher around. I'm honestly surprised it's Viz. I'm afraid that this is going to end up being either A) June rolls around and they don't start printing but just chuck the titles to their e-book selection and say sorry to you avid book collectors and just import if you just need a physical volume or B) they don't make it till then and kick the bucket ala Tokyopop.

I guess I'm just feeling a little cheated that's it's only their yaoi and yaoi-ish lines that are being postponed and their hentai line is still being printed. They've already alloted most of their yaoi titles to emanga where the ones I've bought have had some grammar issues and are more expensive then one of their print volumes at amazon!

Just great irritation and darn it if I'm forced to I will import. I've done it before and I'll do it again.
sepherest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Not really surprised this is happening, given how much they've managed to tick off the bl/yaoi community into not wanting to purchase any of their titles.
Peebs

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:56 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Sepherest"]Not really surprised this is happening, given how much they've managed to tick off the bl/yaoi community into not wanting to purchase any of their titles.[/quote]
Well, maybe this is why they're going into hiatus. Fans are not buying into their licenses like we used to back in the day. Plus I bet they lost money on Yaoi Con and they'll have to work up a strategy to recoup all that money. Another part of the problem may be their gung-ho attitude about licensing every BL title under the sun they can get their hands on. Even their print titles have lacked the ommf that some of their older titles have. It's like they're scratching the bottom of the barrel and licensing whatever they can get their hands on rather than listening to what the fans want.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Peebs wrote:
Well, maybe this is why they're going into hiatus. Fans are not buying into their licenses like we used to back in the day. Plus I bet they lost money on Yaoi Con and they'll have to work up a strategy to recoup all that money. Another part of the problem may be their gung-ho attitude about licensing every BL title under the sun they can get their hands on. Even their print titles have lacked the ommf that some of their older titles have. It's like they're scratching the bottom of the barrel and licensing whatever they can get their hands on rather than listening to what the fans want.

Or it could be that...yaoi titles are so many that so few are good...it's like everything else out there. Not everything can be up to par to like...Tyrant Falls in Love or Border. I'm sure if they wanted to, they could get older titles...but as Vertical said, unless the manga was either reprinted or made before 2000, it's a waste of money because they have to scan it themselves and do a lot of other stuff, so they'd be losing money.

Personally, I'm not sure why DMP hasn't worked a true partnership with Libre (or whatever Japanese yaoi company there is), like Viz. I think that helps the US company, as I'm sure (I could be wrong) the Japanese publishing company may give deals with they're in a partnership.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Well thats not good manga is just so hard to pick up when these companies go under
sonryu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Lucky me, the only one I read is Vampire Hunter D, and it's (supposedly) still on schedule lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
osakaedo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
I'm sure if they wanted to, they could get older titles...but as Vertical said, unless the manga was either reprinted or made before 2000, it's a waste of money because they have to scan it themselves and do a lot of other stuff, so they'd be losing money.

That should be after.

Books before 2000-2005 (depending on the publisher), are not likely digitized. So pubs would have to scan them. Now some don't mind just slapping pages on a cheap scanner but to get high-res clean scans... Well, that costs money.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3