• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Capcom's License With Tatsunoko Lapses

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:06 pm Reply with quote
This makes me sad, especially since this was a great way to introduce these characters to a Western audience.

Oh well, back to Marvel crossovers.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Majin Tenshi wrote:
I got a Wii last year for the US & JP version of the game (yup modified). I was hoping that the game would make a port on the PS3/Xbox360 perhaps with HD graphics. But oh well, you never what might happen in the future.

Yeah I was hoping for a PS3/360 HD port but after seeing this new, I guess it'll never happen. Crying or Very sad

So Capcom's license with Tatsunoko last only 4 years. I wonder why Capcom didn't bother to renew the license, didn't this game sold enough to maybe warrant a sequel.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:58 am Reply with quote
Nintendo had an exclusive license for the game... It was actually developed on an arcade version of the Wii/GameCube 2.0 hardware.

I guess it sold well enough on the Wii but Capcom probably would have sold more copies had it been multi-platform instead of just Wii. Capcom has a tendency to choose loosers for exclusive releases and have paid for that in the past.

The Wii may have sold the most copies of hardware for the current generation of consoles but it didn't capture the hardcore gaming market. At the end of the day, the casual gaming market doesn't buy as many games as hardcore gamers and the Wii is generally missing at most fighting game tournaments. Even at anime cons that have fighting games represented, you generally wouldn't see the Wii...

At any rate, many people in the hardcore fighting game community weren't really that impressed with the Tats/Cap game. They felt it was too simple and didn't connect with all the unfamiliar characters in the game. It was a forerunner of Marvel Vs Capcom 3 but developed on lesser hardware than what SF IV and MvC 3 used.

Speaking of missing characters, I kind of wondered WHY Speed Racer wasn't in the game. Tatsunoko owns that series -- it was actually created by one of the core founders/key creators at Tatsunoko. I don't know if it was a licensing issue with the former American rights owner or if they just couldn't figure out a way to use the character in the game...
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:25 am Reply with quote
It seems none of the people on this board are collector's or even have a vague sense of the used game market. The game is very common and can be readily found in gamestop. It was not popular enough to warrant any kind of reprint anyway, and the majority of games dont get another reprint anyway. In all likelihood even if capcom had kept the license they would not have reprinted it because its not a big seller like RE or SF.

In all honesty those who want the game and dont have it by now will probably be able to easily get this game for at least the next couple of years in the 20-30 dollar range. Honestly the only thing thats really collectable are the cards it came with as a preorder, and if you have some of the special cards then you can talk money. But just the game itself, this news means nothing.

Basically this just means no future games in this series.
nhat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:42 am Reply with quote
karyuudo0127 wrote:
Who cares. As with most of the Wii games out there it was pir8ed to hell and back and now it's all over the net. Don't worry Capcom, your game will continue to be in the hands of many Wii owners and Wii emulator players for years to come.

There's no monetary or physical value in that. A physical copy can sell for something or be shown to someone.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:55 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
Nintendo had an exclusive license for the game... It was actually developed on an arcade version of the Wii/GameCube 2.0 hardware.

I guess it sold well enough on the Wii but Capcom probably would have sold more copies had it been multi-platform instead of just Wii. Capcom has a tendency to choose loosers for exclusive releases and have paid for that in the past.

The Wii may have sold the most copies of hardware for the current generation of consoles but it didn't capture the hardcore gaming market. At the end of the day, the casual gaming market doesn't buy as many games as hardcore gamers and the Wii is generally missing at most fighting game tournaments. Even at anime cons that have fighting games represented, you generally wouldn't see the Wii...

At any rate, many people in the hardcore fighting game community weren't really that impressed with the Tats/Cap game. They felt it was too simple and didn't connect with all the unfamiliar characters in the game. It was a forerunner of Marvel Vs Capcom 3 but developed on lesser hardware than what SF IV and MvC 3 used.

Speaking of missing characters, I kind of wondered WHY Speed Racer wasn't in the game. Tatsunoko owns that series -- it was actually created by one of the core founders/key creators at Tatsunoko. I don't know if it was a licensing issue with the former American rights owner or if they just couldn't figure out a way to use the character in the game...

You make a great point, I wish Nintendo didn't make TvC a Wii exclusive, I always thought this game could've made a great to decent Wii to PS3/360 ports like other former Wii games that got HD port (Goldeneye Reloaded for example). If they had made a HD port, I swear that the game could've sold better and could've had a sequel (would've love it if Speed Racer to be included in the 2nd game if that had happen).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:17 pm Reply with quote
The fighting stick controller resulting from this joint venture made for a worthy acquisition. Should it not have already done so, one fears such a product will soon cease to be an economical choice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:19 pm Reply with quote
nhat wrote:
karyuudo0127 wrote:
Who cares. As with most of the Wii games out there it was pir8ed to hell and back and now it's all over the net. Don't worry Capcom, your game will continue to be in the hands of many Wii owners and Wii emulator players for years to come.

There's no monetary or physical value in that. A physical copy can sell for something or be shown to someone.

Which is why I gave up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2