• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cinematographer: U.S. Godzilla Remake to Film in March

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splitter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow, this is finally getting off the ground. Well, the director has a good deal of talent in him, so hopefully this will vindicate America of the 1998 abortion it churned out.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Well, it can't be any worse... Not famous last words, it just can't be, the bar's been risen so high by James Cam-er-ron!, and tons of other good films since then. I still expect them to mess with Godzilla's design and make it a CG monster instead of a dude in latex, though. Just keep the roar and the atomic breath!
lostrune

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I miss the days of animatronics, puppeteering, and latex costumes in American cinema.

CG doesn't look anywhere near as good as that stuff. Japan's got the right idea to keep using the real stuff. Hopefully this movie has enough sense to do so too Laughing
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
hopefully this will vindicate America of the 1998 abortion it churned out.

Said Abortion did give us a pretty awesome animated series though.

Really hope this will be better than the 90s film and not something that's made fun of like Zilla was made fun of in Final Wars.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:47 pm Reply with quote
All I have to say about an American Godzilla film is, "That's a lot of fish."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Kinda expecting a "Clover Field" feel on this one. But, anyways, hope it is awesome and looking forward to it.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:14 pm Reply with quote
I have high hopes for this movie, hopefully they learn from their mistakes before, and this won't turn out like the first attempt (which I feel is a HORRIBLE Godzilla movie, but a decent movie of it's own), or god forbid Cloverfield.

lostrune wrote:
I miss the days of animatronics, puppeteering, and latex costumes in American cinema.

CG doesn't look anywhere near as good as that stuff. Japan's got the right idea to keep using the real stuff. Hopefully this movie has enough sense to do so too Laughing

I couldn't agree more, and also, what in the heck is that Dinosaurs pic from? Is there something CG related for it in the works that I'm not aware of? ._o
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt, but really, if it's not a dude in a latex suit, it's not gonna be Godzilla. Sometimes trying too hard just makes things worse.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:59 pm Reply with quote
I can tell this is going to be promising. I really hope they use suitmation for this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:09 pm Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:

Low budget shit quality CGI doesn't look as good as that stuff. Also, I used to watch that show. It might look good in freeze frames but it all flew out the window once they started moving.

I'll take movie quality CGI over an animatronic Godzilla any day of the week.
DomonX2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:34 am Reply with quote
If Godzooky is in this film, it make it all the better.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
lostrune wrote:

Low budget shit quality CGI doesn't look as good as that stuff. Also, I used to watch that show. It might look good in freeze frames but it all flew out the window once they started moving.

I'll take movie quality CGI over an animatronic Godzilla any day of the week.

Just as there's cheap CGI there's also cheap animatronics. Clearly the Dinosaurs tv show was using cheap animatronics. With a movie budget and the new technology we have today, and animatronic godzilla could not only look pretty great but it won't have that disillusioning effect CGI has where it doesn't matter how invested in the movie you are you've still got that knowledge in the back of your mind that all the characters are not truly interacting with the CGI model.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1