• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Biblia series

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ridiculus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:20 am Reply with quote
Biblia koshodou no jiken techou (The case notebook of the second-hand bookstore 'Biblia') is a series of novels by En Mikami that started last year and currently consists of three volumes, published under Media Works Bunko label. The genre is mystery, and the cases - which are investigated by the bookstore's owner, Shioriko - are connected with the old books.

As of June 2012, it had more than 3 million copies in print, which makes it one of the biggest bestsellers in recent times. There are two comic adaptations, one by Kadokawa Shoten, the other by Kodansha.

Has anyone been reading it?
Saffire

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:32 am Reply with quote
I haven't heard of this before, but is it fair to say that it's kinda like Bungaku Shoujo?
ridiculus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
I haven't heard of this before, but is it fair to say that it's kinda like Bungaku Shoujo?

I don't think so. I've read neither of them, but as far as I know, Bungaku Shoujo is a light novel and fantasy series, and Biblia is not. I would prefer to compare it with Kyogoku's Kyogokudo series, although I think it's a much easier read.

Actually, I've read an interview with En Mikami in the Japanese magazine Da Vinci, where he talks about his career and ideas behind the series. He was specializing in the horror and fantasy light novels when he got a chance to publish a work under Media Works Bunko, which he didn't miss.

The Biblia popularity is enormous, so much that even Sword Art Online cannot reach that level.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:41 pm Reply with quote
According to a message posted on 2ch by a shop assistant for a bookshop, a Media Works Bunko order sheet, which was sent by the publishing company, said, 'This order sheet is for the person in charge of general bunko. Media Works Bunko is NOT a light novel imprint' in very large characters, and the shop assistant gave a wry smile at Media Works' making a desperate effort to give Media Works Bunko an appearance of being 'respectable'. ワロタ

It seems that the target audience of Media Works Bunko is people who move to kind of 'higher' novels from light novels and Media Works is also plotting to palm off Media Works Bunko books on readers of regular popular fiction if all goes well.

Some people call books like Biblia Koshodō light mysteries.

hyojodoji

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Da Vinci compared Café Talleyrand with Biblia Koshodō.

http://ddnavi.com/news/93765/

hyojodoji

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:52 pm Reply with quote
It seems that Biblia Koshodō will be made into a live-action TV series.
It will star Gōriki Ayame.

http://up.null-x.me/poverty/img/poverty29871.jpg

hyojodoji

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:56 pm Reply with quote
The first episode of the Biblia TV drama was broadcast.
Hirakoh compared Gōriki in Biblia to Baki. w

https://twitter.com/hiranokohta/status/290794321626685440
https://twitter.com/hiranokohta/status/290796094105989121

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1