• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bodacious Space Pirates Due February 4 From MVM

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:24 pm Reply with quote
DVDs????? it's 2012 not 2002 this could be a grave mistake for MVM and don't any of you dear apologise for MVM saying things like "well they need to make sales" i don't care i am the customer and they're providing an inferior product. ( I will however retract this if they announce a BD edition later on)
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm not at all bothered about a DVD only release. If they don't think they can make the sales then it isn't worth the cost. Look at Manga and how many Madoka sold. I did not expect that low amount of sales for a big name anime like that.

If it's a series I'm interested in (as this is) I'll buy it regardless.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:38 pm Reply with quote
EighteenSky wrote:
I'm not at all bothered about a DVD only release. If they don't think they can make the sales then it isn't worth the cost. Look at Manga and how many Madoka sold. I did not expect that low amount of sales for a big name anime like that.

If it's a series I'm interested in (as this is) I'll buy it regardless.

One of the reasons for the low sales on Madoka was cause most people either A. had seen the show already and had no reason to buy a bear bones set or B. imported the LE boxes from the US.

The one reason they won't make sales on the DVD is cause most people will be hanging back waiting on a BD release.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:09 pm Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:
One of the reasons for the low sales on Madoka was cause most people either A. had seen the show already and had no reason to buy a bear bones set or B. imported the LE boxes from the US.

The one reason they won't make sales on the DVD is cause most people will be hanging back waiting on a BD release.

So a show with less hype that has actually been legally streamed in the UK is going to do better?

You're saying if they release it on BD people will have already imported it and if they release it on DVD they will wait for the BD? That's contradictory and flies in the face of DVD outselling BD when both are available.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
yurihellsing wrote:
relates to Madoka onlyOne of the reasons for the low sales on Madoka was cause most people either A. had seen the show already and had no reason to buy a bear bones set or B. imported the LE boxes from the US.

relates to Bodacious Space PiratesThe one reason they won't make sales on the DVD is cause most people will be hanging back waiting on a BD release.

So a show with less hype that has actually been legally streamed in the UK is going to do better?

You're saying if they release it on BD people will have already imported it and if they release it on DVD they will wait for the BD? That's contradictory and flies in the face of DVD outselling BD when both are available.

The top part relates to Madoka only.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I still don't see why all the people who aren't buying BDs anyway will put off buying the DVDs for a bluray that isn't coming.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
I still don't see why all the people who aren't buying BDs anyway will put off buying the DVDs for a bluray that isn't coming.

Well i hope to god they're a minority cause if they're not then all hope is lost for the UK market.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:24 am Reply with quote
Why buy a DVD these days? That nieche is fufilled by my £4 a month subscription to crunchyroll and a PS3.

DVDs now a days are the optional little extra that comes with the shiney HD Video filled disk.

Cept if you're manga, in which case; Run! Run away from the Blu Ray, lest it get you and force you to adapt to a new market!
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:08 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Cept if you're Manga or MVM, in which case; Run! Run away from the Blu Ray, lest it bankrupt you!

Fixed.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
Cept if you're Manga or MVM, in which case; Run! Run away from the Blu Ray, lest it bankrupt you!

Fixed.

You love apologising for companies don't you?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Always the devil's advocate, never the bride.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:48 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Always the devil's advocate, never the bride.
Tis your crime, tis verily your punishment.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:50 am Reply with quote
There is playing devil's advocate and then there's supporting a company that fails or damn near refuses to move with the times it's like those people who wouldn't upgrade from XP to 7 till 8 was announced.
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:04 am Reply with quote
Manga have tried BluRays and let's just say it largely hasn't gone well for them. MVM have said sales of Broken Blade were not at the levels they expected/hoped for and that has put them off future Bluray releases. If the demand isn't there, then of course they're not going to release them. People shouting in forums about a lack of BRs means nothing unless you actually go out and buy the things they do release on BR (which I assume you have? If not, you have no right to be whining about the lack of BRs.) and even if you personally do go and buy BRs, that doesn't change the fact that the vast majority of people still prefer DVDs. Supply and demand, and all that, and the distributors have the numbers to prove it. The fact that the first volume of FMA Brotherhood only sold ~750 copies across the country says a lot, considering how popular that franchise is. Maybe in the future when BluRay authoring costs and minimum print runs come down and more people have upgraded technology, we will see more BluRay releases. As it stands, Shiroi Hane is correct. Releasing Blu Rays of everything would be a one way ticket to bankruptcy for a UK anime distributor.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:20 am Reply with quote
Well tell people like me that if i want more BD release then i should go out and buy them is pretty pointless cause all the shows/movies they've put on BD i have little to no interest in. How ever the ones i was interested in i did buy and i can hold them in 1 hand and Blu-ray players are quite cheap these days so there really is no excuse for not adopting/adapting. Also i can't help but feel the people who prefer DVDs are the sort who's main and only console is the Wii.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3