• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Rumiko Takahashi Short Manga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Proman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:15 am Reply with quote
Excellent news! Now if only she went back and finished the "Mermaid Saga"...
subaru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:14 am Reply with quote
and the one pound gospel Smile
apple pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:28 am Reply with quote
so i am assuming Inuyasha has concluded right?

for whatever reason... i don't dig that comic. hope her new stuff is good and if she chooses a new series — i hope Del Rey or Viz gets it
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:46 am Reply with quote
apple pro wrote:
so i am assuming Inuyasha has concluded right?

Don't be on it. Razz

Quote:
for whatever reason... i don't dig that comic. hope her new stuff is good and if she chooses a new series — i hope Del Rey or Viz gets it

I'll vote for anything that goes Del Rey's way since they'll do it right.
Gauss

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:07 am Reply with quote
It doesn't mean she has finished with Inu Yasha. Every now and then she releases a one-shot short manga (20-50 pages). See for example Giri no Bakansu from 2004, also published in Big Comic.
jgreen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:55 am Reply with quote
I know Viz released a lot of these one-shot stories in "Manga Vizion" under the "Rumic World"/"Rumic Theater" title, but what about the more recent ones? Has Viz serialized these anywhere, such as in "Animerica Extra"?

I know they wouldn't quite fit in either place, but any chance we can see either of these in either "Shonen Jump" or "Shojo Beat"? I'd buy 'em.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Proman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:48 pm Reply with quote
I think they should do a "Rumiko Takahashi Manga Anthology" with most of her short stories, kind like they did for her short TV stories.
naushika

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Serializing it in Shojo Beat could be a possibility in the future, but it would depend on the genre and intended audience. As for Shonen Jump, probably not, unless it was more like Inuyasha and action-oriented.

Speaking of Inuyasha...why won't she end that thing?! Exclamation Confused I'm sure she's been gradually loosing fans who have grown impatient and bored by the formula storyline by now.
PEAC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Ummm...Inu-yasha has ended. Ended a long time ago in Japan. In the U.S., Viz is taking their sweet time with that series.
The TV series ended on September 13, 2004 in Japan
The manga series began in 1996, and it was only 24 volumes so I'm pretty sure thats over too.
Reliak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:10 pm Reply with quote
PEAC wrote:
Ummm...Inu-yasha has ended. Ended a long time ago in Japan. In the U.S., Viz is taking their sweet time with that series.
The TV series ended on September 13, 2004 in Japan
The manga series began in 1996, and it was only 24 volumes so I'm pretty sure thats over too.

Heh, volume 43 just came out, according to the ANN Encyclopedia, and I'm sure she's still continuing it. Just because the anime ended doesn't mean that the manga is done. Far from it. From what I've heard she's still going strong (I don't read it, so I'm not really sure).
Dranxis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm caught up to the IY manga, and yeah, it's still going. However, the plot has moved at mach speed the past few chapters, with some major developments being spoiler[Moryoumaru defeating and absorbing Naraku] and spoiler[all of the Shikon shard carriers assembled in the same location for what it looks like may be a very pivotal battle, presumably to unite the jewel]. Of course, it may be for naught: Takahashi's done stuff like that before...

Anyway, I would really love to see her recent short stories published here. I have all of the old Viz compilations of Rumic World/Theatre, but that's only about half of her short stories. It's such a shame, since her skill in short story has improved so much since her earlier days.
milcor1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:09 pm Reply with quote
And by a short manga from Rumiko Takahashi we mean 20-30 volumes right?
PEAC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Wow....animenfo is crap for info....anyway, well we all know the TV series is finally over in Japan but in the U.S. keep buying those DVD's you only have 10 or 15 to go.
The manga is news to me....I thought it was over since I do read it even though Viz is taking their sweet time....but anyway my apologies thinking it was over....wow makes you wonder how far can it go?
Dranxis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And by a short manga from Rumiko Takahashi we mean 20-30 volumes right?

Well actually, it's a one-shot. She releases a twenty-page story around February every year.
Examinee 623

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:42 am Reply with quote
I like Inuyasha as much as the next guy, but seriously, does Takahashi need to beat a dead horse?

Personally, I think she's suffering from delusions of grandeur, thinking she can just keep rehashing the same archetypes time and time again. Sure, they're delightful and lovable, but after awhile it just gets stale...real stale.

Let's just pray that IY ends soon and we get some more Mermaid Saga.

Last edited by Examinee 623 on Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2