• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Monthly Shonen Jump

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:00 am Reply with quote
I noticed that there is a company page for Monthly Shonen Jump. It doesn't seem correct to me to call it a company. Shouldn't it be an anthology page like [Weekly Shonen Jump], so that manga can be listed as having run in it with a link in the "related anime" section at the top?

Also, in a slightly related issue, the Mahou Tsukai Kurohime(manga) page currently says it was serialized in Weekly Shonen Jump. However, the news stories linked from the page for it and the Wikipedia page for it indicate it actually ran in Monthly Shonen Jump.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:18 am Reply with quote
Whether to add the frequency of publication of a periodical is an old dilemma for us. Anime dazed Some magazines have the frequency integrated within the title; others have opted not, or even have "switched." We might have to ask Japanese publishers for official answers.

A similar dilemma is "eiga" and "gekijōban" prefixes of anime movies.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:22 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure why the frequency of publication is relevant. Regardless of how often the magazine was released, it is a magazine and not a company. I'm not suggesting that there is any confusion on how often it was actually released, but that the page should be an anthology page and not a company page. Since the magazine was named "Monthly Shonen Jump", and it was released monthly, I don't think there would be any problem with naming the page for it "Monthly Shonen Jump". We currently have anthology pages for both Weekly Shonen Jump and Jump Square, and I think Monthly Shonen Jump should be an anthology page like those two.

For Mahou Tsukai Kurohime, again I'm not suggesting that there is confusion over how often it was released, but instead that it is listed under the wrong magazine. It appears to have been serialized in Monthly Shonen Jump and Jump Square, but not Weekly Shonen Jump.

Also, since my previous post, I've noticed that another magazine in the Jump family also has a company page, which likewise should probably be an anthology page. V-Jump has this page, which should be an anthology and not a company page. There is also a second V Jump, which I'm less sure about what should be done with, since it is being used to list a role in producing OAVs and not to list what titles were serialized in the magazine.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:29 pm Reply with quote
If you look for "Serialized In" as a task you will find any number of these sorts of things. Anthologies are relatively recent, regular users can't add titles to them them, plus you actually do get "serialized in" in the credits of anime...

Monthly Shonen Jump: manga#14892
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Hey, you just beat me, Shiori. Laughing While trying to fix those greenlinks I also found some funny errors. Wink

@Calathan: You've persuaded and convinced me. From now on I'll add magazines whenever needed.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:25 am Reply with quote
Thank you for adding that anthology page.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Calathan wrote:
Also, in a slightly related issue, the Mahou Tsukai Kurohime(manga) page currently says it was serialized in Weekly Shonen Jump. However, the news stories linked from the page for it and the Wikipedia page for it indicate it actually ran in Monthly Shonen Jump.

Done.
The official site was also http://mj.shueisha.co.jp/kurohime/
Done.

Calathan wrote:
Also, since my previous post, I've noticed that another magazine in the Jump family also has a company page, which likewise should probably be an anthology page. V-Jump has this page, which should be an anthology and not a company page. There is also a second V Jump, which I'm less sure about what should be done with, since it is being used to list a role in producing OAVs and not to list what titles were serialized in the magazine.

I have to remember to get back to this when I'm on a computer with Kanji support.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
I have to remember to get back to this when I'm on a computer with Kanji support.

Guess I beat you this time. Wink Laughing
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I got caught up with the Hanabee site last night...
I believe I have a couple of old issues of V-Jump somewhere, thinking about it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1