• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bodacious Space Pirates Due February 4 From MVM

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:36 am Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:
Well tell people like me that if i want more BD release then i should go out and buy them is pretty pointless cause all the shows/movies they've put on BD i have little to no interest in.

That's your problem, not the distributor's. You want BRs, you need to support the series that are released in that form here to help prove there is even a market for anime on BR here. They release the series they think are worth the risk and if that doesn't coincide with your tastes, tough luck.

Also, whilst BR players might be cheap, HDTVs are not, and I imagine most people don't see the point of getting a BR player when the discs are more expensive to begin with and you need a more expensive TV to be able to use them at their full potential, and thus people just stick with DVDs. You also seem to be forgetting that Xbox 360s are not capable of playing BRs. The only console which can is the PS3 and they're also expensive.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:29 pm Reply with quote
No, my problem is I buy the first volume on BR and then they don't even bother with the rest.

They have trained the consumer to never trust anything with more than one SKU to get a full release.

That is what THEY have done.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Madoka was one SKU and still hasn't done all that well.

Moretsu is two SKUs.

QED.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:

Moretsu is two SKUs.

QED.

Yes and one of the reasons it didn't do well is cause of imports on the LE box sets and some didn't feel it was worth it for the show alone i think one of the mistakes Manga EntUK made with that was thinking their tqarget audience were clueless about the show.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:05 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:

Moretsu is two SKUs.

QED.
I'm sorry, this whole BS started long before Madoka got farted out the door by Manga.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:04 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
Manga have tried BluRays and let's just say it largely hasn't gone well for them. MVM have said sales of Broken Blade were not at the levels they expected/hoped for and that has put them off future Bluray releases. If the demand isn't there, then of course they're not going to release them. People shouting in forums about a lack of BRs means nothing unless you actually go out and buy the things they do release on BR (which I assume you have? If not, you have no right to be whining about the lack of BRs.) and even if you personally do go and buy BRs, that doesn't change the fact that the vast majority of people still prefer DVDs. Supply and demand, and all that, and the distributors have the numbers to prove it. The fact that the first volume of FMA Brotherhood only sold ~750 copies across the country says a lot, considering how popular that franchise is. Maybe in the future when BluRay authoring costs and minimum print runs come down and more people have upgraded technology, we will see more BluRay releases. As it stands, Shiroi Hane is correct. Releasing Blu Rays of everything would be a one way ticket to bankruptcy for a UK anime distributor.

Ok while was getting some tea this was kinda digging into the back of my head like a mite. Now let me get this right what you are saying is people still prefer DVDs? Right right let me think about that for a minute or so....are you sure that they really prefer them or are they just not rolling over and taking what's given?
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:16 am Reply with quote
As I said before, if you don't have a decent HDTV setup, there isn't really much difference between Blurays and DVDs in terms of picture quality. I know amongst my friends and acquaintances who aren't film geeks/PS3 gamers, that's the main reason they don't buy BRs, aside from the fact DVDs are cheaper anyway. Prefer in this instance refers to purchasing choice, rather than picture quality. I maybe should've clarified that.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:04 am Reply with quote
Well of course you're gonna prefer DVDs, you arn't punished for buying volume one of Hypothcial Dolphin Puncher Mamo Chan on BR and then not get the rest.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:35 am Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
As I said before, if you don't have a decent HDTV setup, there isn't really much difference between Blurays and DVDs in terms of picture quality. I know amongst my friends and acquaintances who aren't film geeks/PS3 gamers, that's the main reason they don't buy BRs, aside from the fact DVDs are cheaper anyway. Prefer in this instance refers to purchasing choice, rather than picture quality. I maybe should've clarified that.

But they do own Wiis right?
consignia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I believe the solution is just to buy this version. It's blu-ray, it's pirates. And at ~5000 Yen per 2 episode volume, I think you'll agree it's quite the bargin.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:35 pm Reply with quote
consignia wrote:
I believe the solution is just to buy this version. It's blu-ray, it's pirates. And at ~5000 Yen per 2 episode volume, I think you'll agree it's quite the bargin.

Some how i think you miss the point.
consignia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:36 pm Reply with quote
What point? It's the series you want on Bluray.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:43 pm Reply with quote
consignia wrote:
What point? It's the series you want on Bluray.

the point is im stick of these idiotic companies refusing to move with the times and stop supporting a format that is at the end of it's life cycle oh and FYI if region locking wasn't an issue i would import the US edition and more to the point i'd gladly import Manga EntUK and MVM in oblivion.
consignia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:54 pm Reply with quote
My point, veiled cleverly in my original message, is you don't have to buy the UK releases there are options. Frankly, if you find region locking a problem, you deserve not to have premium releases. Region A Blu-ray players aren't that expensive, and will pay for themselves if you import region locked items.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:40 pm Reply with quote
oh and where am i meant to find a region A player in the UK then?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3