• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Howl Shut out at Annie Awards

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Winter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
words

Well, some of us are primarily concerned about seeing the best film win, not about some self-serving pro-anime agenda.

I don't think Howl will win the Oscar, nor do I think it deserves to win. I don't know if it's a better film than Corpse Bride (haven't seen it yet, will tonight), but it's definitely not a better film than Wallace and Gromit.

I liked Howl well enough, but I would be disappointed if it won. It's not one of Miyazaki's better films, and it's up against at least one film that's honestly better. I think it says a lot about Miyazaki's ability that, in spite of Howl's many flaws, his film was still singled out as one of the three best animated films of the year, even over well-known, commercially successful films like Madagascar and Chicken Little. I'd be happy he's even in the running, considering that Satoshi Kon's wonderful Millennium Actress and Tokyo Godfathers were passed over for nomination.

Plus, I think Spirited Away's Oscar win realistically did little to "further" anime, or at least anime outside of Ghibli's repertoire. It's also worth noting that when Spirited Away did win an Oscar, it didn't really have any strong competition. Lilo and Stitch was really the only other entry that stood a chance. It might have been a much more recognizable victory had it beaten out a film from Aardman or Pixar, who are generally recognized as being among the best Western animation studios of our time.

EDIT: clarified a couple of things
Azumangaman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:55 pm Reply with quote
According to most people out there, Wallace and Gromit is the best animated movie of the year. www.rottentomatoes.com has W&G listed as the best reviewed MOVIE of the year. As for me, I have yet to see Howl OR W&G, but I'm buying W&G tonight. Corpse Bride is PHENOMENAL by the way. And I'm also picking that up tonight too.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Why do anime fan idolize anime so much that they're blinded from everything else in the world with this bias opinion? W&G is a great film.
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
I'm just happy that the best animated film of 2005 won the Annie (and will most certainly win the Oscar as well). Honestly, Wallace & Gromit is simply a better film. Howl's got recognition from its nomination (which is an honor in itself); be happy it got that.

I am happy with the award results not because I dislike Howl, but because I was enthralled by Wallace & Gromit.

*applauds* There have been several replies on the same lines, but this was the first. The Annies are meant to honour excellence in animation, not who makes it or from what country. Yes, the Annies are US-centric, and rightly so- it's the only award that celebrates the animation artform in North America.

But, given the nominations that anime has garnered over the last few years, there is a growing recognition of good anime. Remember that it's largely anime that is replacing shows whose timeslots used to be allocated to American produced shows. It's not a great time to be an animator and looking for work in Hollywood. Despite this, anime movies and shows are being recognised for their quality.

Wallace and Grommit won because it was the best. And you know what? I bet Miyazaki would have voted for Wallace and Grommit.

Widya Santoso
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:07 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Why do anime fan idolize anime so much that they're blinded from everything else in the world with this bias opinion? W&G is a great film.

well ihaven't seen "Curse of the Were-rabbit yet, but i personally think Wallace Gromit's overrated. i mean it's funny, but it aint all people make it out to be. i hate the way the people look.

Last edited by v1cious on Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:11 am; edited 2 times in total
milcor1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:41 am Reply with quote
The better movie won. That's all that happened.
Proman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:51 am Reply with quote
I won't disagree that "Wallace and Gromit" was a great film, but I think that "Howl's Moving Castle" is very underrated in the anime community.
Examinee 623

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:14 am Reply with quote
I'm not terribly surprised by this at all. Wallace and Gromit had such great writing, apart from several other great qualities. If I were a judge, it would be such a toss-up for me. Personally, I like both films about the same.
bluechibi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:36 am Reply with quote
hurray for Wallace and Gromit Very Happy it's good to see my 3 favourite studios are close, Pixar Ghibli and Aardman (Wallace&Gromit) you might have seen the plasticine figure they made of Hayao Miyazaki and even Brad Bird of Pixar said he was excited to see the new Aardman film.

I haven't seen W&G yet, but will very soon.
deathbringer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:11 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
darkhunter wrote:

well ihaven't seen "Curse of the Were-rabbit yet, but i personally think Wallace Gromit's overrated. i mean it's funny, but it aint all people make it out to be. i hate the way the people look.

I have to agree with this. I was forced to sit through the shorts in animation class, and even as shorts they went on way too long. I had always assumed the hardest part of claymation would be moving all the characters around, but judging by Wallace and Gromit it's coming up with an interesting plot. Sheep? Cheese? Come on, give me something that doesn't feel like such a chore to watch.
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:43 pm Reply with quote
And for the latest news... Wallace And Gromit: The Curse Of The Were Rabbit just won the Best British Film award at this year's British Academy of Film and Television Arts Awards (BAFTA's) on the weekend... the Oscar odds are shortening...

Widya Santoso
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2