• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Should ANN re-examine its policy on off-topic discussions?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:35 am Reply with quote
So a solicitation is announced, someone protests the solicitation, and when explaining why they bring up AoA's treatment of those licenses and the price points and all that. There ya have it, in one simple step the discussion has returned right to where it is not, only with what you are requesting I would then have to tell that person they can not say those things in that thread even though it is very much part of that topic and they were within their right to post it. I'm not going to tell people they can't voice their concerns for these IPs if those concerns are in regard to AoA's business practices even though it is an extremely justifiable reason for them to be concerned and perfectly in line with the threads topic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:57 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
...only with what you are requesting I would then have to tell that person they can not say those things in that thread even though it is very much part of that topic...

See, this is what I and others do not agree with.

Just because the 'discussion' (if you can even call the bickering a "discussion") is about Aniplex does not mean it automatically belongs in an Aniplex solicitations thread. Basically, not every discussion about Aniplex is relevant to every other discussion about Aniplex.

Case study:

A press release from FUNi announces the VA cast for an upcoming show. Someone in the Talkback thread says they don't like Luci Christian. Then the next five pages of discussion are taken up with people arguing back and forth about Luci Christian and which was her best role and how she compared in Clannad compared to Birdy the Mighty: Decode and Shikabane Hime, and stuff like that. Then every thread on the entire forum about VAs without fail gets hijacked into a Luci Christian talkfest, whether she had anything specifically to do with the thread's original topic or not.

Surely you can see why people would be fed up. Not because they're fans of Ms Christian who don't want her to be criticised, but because they want to be able to talk about Monica Rial without the thread being hijacked.

Last edited by dtm42 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:11 am Reply with quote
Laughing

I find these pathetic arguments about why discussions about AoA's pricing policy in an AoA solicitation thread are offtopic to be absolutely hilarious. Almost as insightful as a discussion over why 1 + 1 doesn't equal 2.

Oh god this is just too rich to pass up - the issue of AoA's pricing came up in the SAO discussion thread in the anime forum (AoA has announced it has licensed SAO). I wasn't the one who raised the issue nor have I commented on it. But want to guess the identity of one of the posters who has kept that discussion alive in the thread (and not to deplore it as a topic, either)? None other than dtm42, of course! Laughing
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:46 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I find these pathetic arguments about why discussions about AoA's pricing policy in an AoA solicitation thread are offtopic to be absolutely hilarious. Almost as insightful as a discussion over why 1 + 1 doesn't equal 2.
Do you have any actual counterarguments or is ridicule the only reply left you? The only defense you've mounted thus far is a petulant demand to bitch about the issue wherever AoA may be remotely involved.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:35 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Do you have any actual counterarguments or is ridicule the only reply left you? The only defense you've mounted thus far is a petulant demand to bitch about the issue wherever AoA may be remotely involved.

Ridicule is the only appropriate reply. Do you honestly think that discussing pricing policy in a solicitation thread counts as "bitching" about an issue for which AoA is only "remotely involved?" Wow, there's some deep thinking going on there. Rolling Eyes When I come across an intelligent point, you have my solemn vow I will grace it with an intelligent counterpoint. All I'm seeing here from your side is, "waah, waah, there's an ontopic discussion in a thread that I'm personally not interested in, make it stop, waaah, waaah" and "Duuuuh, pricing policy is, liek, totes offtopic in a solicitation thread, duuuuuh." Rolling Eyes
Key

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:39 am Reply with quote
Discussion of the AoA pricing issue is done in this thread; this is precisely the example of topic creep that some of you were talking about. (And I'm already working on curtailing that discussion in the SAO thread, too.)

Put simply, if we think that it's becoming a major problem in the AoA solicitations thread (or elsewhere) then we'll deal with it. Complaints logged in the Reported Threads forum are one major consideration in this process; soapboxing is another. This is a legitimate hot-button topic with industry-wide implications, though, so I'm hesitant to shut down discussion on it across the board like we do with "sub vs. dub" debates.

EDIT: Corrected grammar mistakes. Ugh!

Last edited by Key on Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:11 am Reply with quote
I've been reading (and staying quiet, as I do not appreciate one particular user's use of personal attacks and profanity in this thread to any dissenting opinion) everything, and here's the one reason why I a) brought this up in the first place, and b) started the new thread instead of pricing in the solicitations thread:

ANN already had a precident of removed arguing/debate regarding the pricing policy from that specific thread. A number of users were going back and forth, arguing that AoA was ruining the R1 market, that they were price gouging, etc (i.e., the same thing that's going on now), and when it hit over 2 pages, those posts were removed. That was about 20 pages ago. Tony K. even made a comment that all of the "soapboxing and bickering" was removed.

The only differences I can see here, are that a) there's more parties involved in the bickering, b) it's gone on for far longer, and c) there's a moderator involved in the bickering.

I would hope that ANN holds their moderators to the same standards of normal users, as most forums I've been on hold their moderators to higher standards.

AoA has titles I am interested. I would like to be able to go into the solicitations thread to see releases, packaging details, yes, price, and everything else that goes with them, to decide on if I want to waste the money on them. What is going on now is far past a "discussion" of "one aspect" of the thread, and is people going off on a tangent and arguing back and forth. I am uncomfortable even going into that thread, and yet I have to, as I'm watching for updates to the KnK set, since it was delayed, and that was the best/fastest source of information.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:19 am Reply with quote
Dessa, you are conveniently ignoring a key difference between the previous instance of mod deletion and the current situation: there was a user who was using a lot of swearing and personal insults to illuminate his points. Tony K., who is widely known for simply deleting posts wholesale as opposed to surgical strikes handled that. Presumably, if the tenor of the discussion had been what it is currently, those posts would not have been deleted. Face it, you are simply whining pointlessly because the discussion has taken a turn you personally aren't interested in. Too friggin' bad, bucko. Them's the breaks.

Oh, and by the way, that thread is not the best/fastest way to keep updated on when solicitations are actually coming out. Checking the title at TRSI's site is. WTK can only report on the street date for the Garden of Sinner's title (for example) in that thread, once TRSI actually announces it.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:47 am Reply with quote
Key already said this line of discussion was complete, but apparently that didn't take. However, since I am being accused here I will respond this once.

In previous instances the discussion that was removed in the thread was toxic and was not contributing from a user that saw fit to troll and insult rather than discuss. It wasn't because it was off-topic as other users had already commented on it and those were not an issue, it was because of the nature of that discussion. The current discussion is largely productive and civil aside from the one user who was already issed a warning and had some of his posts censored/removed. And contrary to dtm42's above claim, this discussion is not only about Aniplex but is related to their solicitations and I can't just tell people they can't discuss something relevant to that because some don't like talking about it.

As I have stated, I have yet to see any convincing argument as to why it is off-topic or why it is violating the rules. Also, while I am a mod, I am also a user and am entitled to discuss topics alongside forum users and entitled to voice my opinion on topics, particularly when doing so isn't breaking any rules. Yes, I'm held to the same or higher standards as the rest, but the reality is I'm not breaking those standards/rules.

Now, as Key said this topic is done here. If you come up with a solid and convincing reason to petition for action in that thread than post it in a new thread specifically about the thread.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Just for reference, I have not looked at that thread since I did mass post-deletion to quell the bickering back then. I guess it didn't make a difference either way...
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Here's a general rule: if your soapboxing and beating on a single issue over and over again to the point where people literally can't even mention AOA without someone screaming one way or another about pricing, the discussion is totally worthless and you're turning into partisan warriors.

It's a nuisance at this point and I've stopped caring what the personal justifications are for this behavior.

It's simple: if you're going to be really shrill and obnoxious about anything, I'm going to shut you down. The nonstop circular arguments about AOA pricing isn't adding anything to the community, isn't helping anyone, isn't illuminating anyone about anything. It brings nothing to the forums. I'm not going to let it continue like this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4