• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dentsu acquires Pioneer

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Legato 2057

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 1:25 pm Reply with quote
OK, so what exactly does this mean for the anime industyry? Does this mean that all the new Pioneer dvds will now be labeled Dentsu?
Cassandra

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I would think that since the Pioneer name is so recognized, Dentsu would keep it. I don't think that anyone really knows right now though...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Legato 2057

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 1:45 pm Reply with quote
That's what I would hope too.
NickGXZ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm more worried about weither this might change the dub quailty that Pioneer seems to do so well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
AnnaMayInsider

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 6:44 pm Reply with quote
It's a good move on Pioneer's part, given Dentsu's reputation in the industry. They have incredible marketing resources. I don't think the production quality will change. I think it's funny Tony left Pioneer for FUNimation. He was always very nice to me.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 7:34 pm Reply with quote
NickGXZ wrote:
I'm more worried about weither this might change the dub quailty that Pioneer seems to do so well.

It's not likely to affect the dub quality. The only way it would, is if they decide to do all dubbing in-house. The problem is, that given the amount of studios to use in Los Angeles and elsewhere, it's not very economical for them to do so.

It's a competitve market out there. And why would people spend more money than they have to?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
LordRobin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:44 pm Reply with quote
NickGXZ wrote:

Speaking as ANN's dub reviewer, I've been worried for quite awhile already. Pioneer is good, but nowhere near the level they once were. Gatekeepers 21 was a major disappointment, dubbed by some new outfit and failing to live up to the original Gatekeepers dub.

I worry that Pioneer might be trying to cut corners with less expensive dubbing studios, although New Generation is still getting some work.

(And am I the only one who thinks Pioneer has become... I don't know. "Distant", perhaps? It drives me nuts that they can't be bothered to hire anyone to interface with the fans at conventions that speaks English fluently. I left after not long after the announcements at the Anime Expo panel because I was sick of straining to understand the panelists. What a change from the days of Chad Kime and the others... Razz)

------RM
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's not so much Pioneer, but problems with the studios in general.

The voice acting industry in L.A. IMO has become stagnant. I know some voice actors who also feel this way. They don't want new blood with fresh voices. You ever notice that Wendee Lee is in almost everything these days? And although I respect her abilities and talent, she's overused.

The directors don't seem to care as much, and I feel the same way about those working on the scripts. There is no passion there anymore, coming from the producers or the actors. I'd say that's true of the old big name studios, as well as the cheaper ones.

Examples of what I consider to be shoddy work in multiple areas:
Ai Yori Aoshi
Onegai Teacher

Why? You may ask?

Not only are the scripts fairly dull or odd sounding, but the acting seems either like it's lacking the chemistry, going through the motions, or sounding like a bad rehearsal.

Unless we can get some directors and/or producers out there that will get some fresh blood in there, I think the trend we have been seeing will continue, and we will have more mediocre dubs on our hands.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
drakh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 6:07 am Reply with quote
LordRobin wrote:
I worry that Pioneer might be trying to cut corners with less expensive dubbing studios, although New Generation is still getting some work.

NGP started out doing everything union, but then switched to doing Pioneer's stuff non-union, which does lower the price of the dub a fair bit since they can pay their VAs less and avoid the union's not too insignificant adiminstartive fees.

However, a bigger issue is the fact that there are a lot more titles being released at the moment, and the established dubbing studios are getting swamped. New studios are bound to pop up cover that demand, and as always there will be a certain learning curve. I seem to recall you not being particularly happy about NGP's inital set of dubs...

Quote:
(And am I the only one who thinks Pioneer has become... I don't know. "Distant", perhaps?

They recently had a fair bit of activity on the AoD boards, responding to complaints about errors on Sugar and one of the El-Hazard boxes. Chad Kime even posted a query about who was watching Master Keaton.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1