• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Akira Ifukube Dies

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimmyT

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I heard this bit of tragic news. He will be missed. Godzilla was a huge part of my childhood. As children we all have things we look back on with much nostalgia whether it be Looney Toons, Mickey Mouse, the Muppets, Sesame Street, or classic Disney movies. I had Godzilla. And Ifukube was a huge part of that. I was particularly a fan of the Heisei series (Godzilla 1984 - Godzilla VS. The Destroyer). On an eerie side note, I heard the news after I got home from work to which I was listening to Godzilla music while working. What timing. Anyway, I salute the man for what he has brought in the past 50+ years of Godzilla.
Walkabout

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:25 am Reply with quote
God...some of those songs are still with me, even ten years later...
My friend, your eloquent understanding of the pace and flow of music will not be forgotten, not by this fan.
Stormrider
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:35 am Reply with quote
Another Godzilla fan bids you a fond farewell.
JoshuaStChristopher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:34 am Reply with quote
Wow, this is really awful news.

I can't even think of anything to say about it. I'm greatly depressed by this. That was some brilliant music.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:02 am Reply with quote
As someone who was (and still very much is) a fan of Godzilla and many of Toho's other giant monster creations, this really is a saddening bit of news to hear. The scores he composed for those films were some of the catchiest pieces of music I've ever heard; even today I'll find myself begin spontaneously humming the Godzilla march or the theme to Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla '93 or the standard military march piece. And they were always such fitting scores, as well. Nobody else has come close to matching Godzilla in tone and character quite like Ifukube (and that's no exaggeration, especially with this latest crop they've been using, who have pretty much sucked out loud all across the board).

Ifukube will indeed be missed, and it's very much unfortunate that there's now no chance whatsoever of him scoring up that one last movie (I mean, really, if Godzilal Final Wars was the "last Godzilla flick," just why wasn't he involved in that?...but I'm digressing).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
mangajunky
Company Representative

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:37 am Reply with quote
In addition to scoring Godzilla and many of the other Toho kaiju films, Ifukube created Godzilla's signature roar and scored many of the Zatoichi films as well as Kurosawa's "Ikiru", which is easily one of my fave Kurosawa films.

-Franky
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1