• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - It's A Little Bit Funi, This Feeling Inside

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlaking

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Roberta's Blood Trail has a release date but FUNi will not said it yet.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Here's a fun drinking game: Take a shot every time Lance says "Ya know". Razz Laughing
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:03 pm Reply with quote
When I first saw the sub question I initially took it as gloom and doom type thing and filled that question out accordingly. But someone pointed out that it was talkin about titles on the fence and I regret answering like that. I would easily buy something that is niche such as SRW or Shin Mazinger that could never get a dub but might do well as a sub release.

Okay neither of those two shows are getting released here in any form but thats why I have G Gundam, so I can cry myself to sleep while watching really entertaining anime.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
When I first saw the sub question I initially took it as gloom and doom type thing and filled that question out accordingly. But someone pointed out that it was talkin about titles on the fence and I regret answering like that. I would easily buy something that is niche such as SRW or Shin Mazinger that could never get a dub but might do well as a sub release.

Okay neither of those two shows are getting released here in any form but thats why I have G Gundam, so I can cry myself to sleep while watching really entertaining anime.

Honestly, when Lance brought up "one the fence" shows, the first thing that came to mind was RAINBOW, which FUNi simulcasted and even had a survey question about whether one would buy it on DVD/BD... But no physical release ever happened. That's the kind of titles I was immediately thinking of: Stuff that FUNi streamed but decided not to release on DVD and/or BD.

Honestly, if FUNi is thinking about doing sub-only, then I'd be very happy to support that. If it could result in titles like RAINBOW finally getting an actual physical release then there's no reason not to support FUNi trying a sub-only release or two. Don't be hesitant, Lance!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Bummer. No news about Fujiko Mine. In fact, a lot of the podcast can be summed up as, "Sorry, no news on that yet." Though it would help if people wouldn't ask about anime that just came out in Japan. "Oh hey, when are we going to get Rebuild 3.0?" Anyone who submitted that question needs a kick to the shins.

Most people want to watch something in their own language? Shock and awe.

You can tell Zac wanted to object to all the positive talk about Tenchi Muyo but bit his tongue.

I'm always somewhat surprised to hear what shows actually do well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad Zac asked about the Hellsing Ultimate box. I thought they had the license for the whole thing locked up, so the box situation didn't make much sense, but at least now we know.
lheiskell
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:56 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Here's a fun drinking game: Take a shot every time Lance says "Ya know". Razz Laughing

Crap. I did that again? I try to consciously regulate but...ya know...it happens. I hope you got staggering drunk on this edition.

Lance Heiskell
Friendly Neighborhood Stammering FUNimation Guy
PseudoFiction

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad I listened all the way to the very end.
SecretJustin1130

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:02 pm Reply with quote
PseudoFiction wrote:
I'm glad I listened all the way to the very end.

Me too. But the last 10 seconeds = WTF!? Shocked
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:02 pm Reply with quote
I for one really hope that Rainbow would get a dub if it was ever released. A subbed release would be better than nothing, but it looks like a show that would really benefit from a good English track.

Especially considering that... ya know... the title song is in English and all.

It really is a shame that more people didn't watch it, though. And considering the subject matter contained in the show having parallels to certain recent real-life events spoiler[(namely the Gerry Sandusky incident)], it wouldn't surprise me if we never got a physical release. Crying or Very sad
dragon695

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

I think funi needs to do more sub-only releases. One of the most irritating things on netflix is Funi's dub-only anime and live action. It sucks.
Nocturne123

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:21 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how well Steins Gate is doing for them *never mind, answered in twitter time*
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:38 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:

I think funi needs to do more sub-only releases. One of the most irritating things on netflix is Funi's dub-only anime and live action. It sucks.

Sub-only releases are risky. If a show is already popular enough to make money, then a dub is a must, for marketing purposes. If it isn't, then why license it at all?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
chronoclast

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:59 pm Reply with quote
On the subject of Funi doing sub-only releases, if they do give that a try, Blu-ray/DVD combo packs would be great. That's one thing Funi could really one up Sentai at since they have a no dub, no Blu-ray rule which annoys a lot of people.

Even though I'd love to have a dub for it, I'd still be all over sub-only Blu-rays of Tatami Galaxy.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:02 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
dragon695 wrote:

Sub-only releases are risky. If a show is already popular enough to make money, then a dub is a must, for marketing purposes. If it isn't, then why license it at all?

Simple it causes money to make dubs by paying the English voice actors etc. Sub only titles can sell fine but it depends on what the title is, how it is marketed and if there are fans willing to take even a sub only release at this point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8