• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Compassionate Military Leaders

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This week we're counting down some of anime's best and brightest military leaders. For every Lt. Colonel Kilgore there's a Captain Staros willing to put his or her life on the line, showing a deep compassion for their subordinates.

So This List is listing the best military leaders who are also the most protective of their soldiers? Yet you list Mustang over both Armstrongs from FMA

I don't understand how this works. While Armstrong would lay her life on the line for any of her men, I couldn't say the same for Mustang. Yeah, there's best friend Havoc and Hawkeye, which is a whole different subject, but by the end of the series, Falman became a Briggs' soldier for good.

For a reason, I'd imagine. He even managed to pull a Bigwig. Yes, he did it while crying but he did it for Armstrong, not Mustang. Now, what could have earned that much loyalty, so quickly?

Last edited by Animegomaniac on Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tris8

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:28 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Also, L not winning a detective poll? I call shenanigans
L was added as an option in the poll late, and a lot of people (including myself) had already voted. So the results are kinda skewed.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:02 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
CrowLia wrote:
...Also, L not winning a detective poll? I call shenanigans

spoiler[But L failed. Surely getting your man is a prerequisite for being a useful detective]?

Tag that spoiler.

L was the top three detectives in his world, and spoiler[only failed because he was up against someone who was his intellectual equal who also had a supernatural notebook of death. I'd like to see Conan go up against Light; the only remains the police would find is his bow tie floating in the river.]
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:08 pm Reply with quote
That Warring States poll is a tough one! I am holding out hope that either two I think should be most popular win.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:08 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Nothing says "compassionate" like slapping the sh*t out of your subordinates.
Hey. It's called tough love.
Cerceaux

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Should there maybe be a spoiler warning for Mustang's paragraph? There might still be someone out there who hasn't seen FMA...
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:16 pm Reply with quote
L?

I think this is who you mean is the greatest.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
sainta

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:19 pm Reply with quote
The big problem with Ukitake is that they let him be a Captain despite his serious disease. Remember what happened with Rukia that time Ukitake's disease stopped him from defeating an important enemy?
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:25 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
L?

I think this is who you mean is the greatest.

I'll never accept Near. Never.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:29 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
...Tag that spoiler...

Done. Thanks for drawing that to my attention. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
unused

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:25 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
CrowLia wrote:

Well while first place has the power of conveniences, Conan deserves it for over 70 volumes of solving cases while hiding his identity (and yet he never finds the villains who turned him into a kid)

he already knew it right from the start, right? It was Gin.

By the way, what's with the poll. Samurai 7 didn't take place at Edo era. And Sword for Stranger is a movie, not a series.

I'm glad Conan won the poll. I'd rather to pick Kindaichi tough, if he was available.
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:01 am Reply with quote
An utterly incompetent Captain who only got by on dumb luck and riding the coat-tails of his insubordinate subordinates gets the number one spot? Compassionate? He should have been court-martialed for striking those under his command.

And no mention of manga-Kushana? Her men would have followed her to hell and back because they knew she would do whatever it takes to make sure every one of them came back.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:25 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

L was the top three detectives in his world,

Might as well clarify that he was spoiler[all three of them, simultaneously.]
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:07 am Reply with quote
TJ_Kat wrote:
An utterly incompetent Captain who only got by on dumb luck and riding the coat-tails of his insubordinate subordinates gets the number one spot? Compassionate? He should have been court-martialed for striking those under his command.

And no mention of manga-Kushana? Her men would have followed her to hell and back because they knew she would do whatever it takes to make sure every one of them came back.

I limit The List to anime only entries at this point.

I suppose technically Captain Noa could be court martialed for face slapping, although the whole slapping thing is used medium wide against men and women by both genders and no one bats an eye if the victim appears to be losing their cool.

Tris8 wrote:
CrowLia wrote:
L was added as an option in the poll late, and a lot of people (including myself) had already voted. So the results are kinda skewed.

L was added about 12 or so hours after the article posted, so unfortunately he probably lost some votes for that reason. However, I still doubt he would have won given the very large margin of difference but it's impossible to say without knowing exactly how many votes were cast before he was added.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:27 am Reply with quote
L may be the objectively better detective, but Conan is still good enough for nearly anything a private citizen would likely need to hire a detective for, and significantly easier to interact with as a person as a plus.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4