• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters Updates on Scheduled Releases

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:11 am Reply with quote
Guess my prediction on 2013 being the swan song for Media Blasters is close to becoming a reality.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:36 am Reply with quote
I won't be surprised if FUNimation rescues AMG. They did it with the second season--why stop there?
L stole my cookie!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:24 am Reply with quote
So what does this mean for Squid girl? Does it mean they have'nt settled on a specific realese date yet?
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:51 am Reply with quote
2013 will be the year they go down.
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:52 am Reply with quote
L stole my cookie! wrote:
So what does this mean for Squid girl? Does it mean they have'nt settled on a specific realese date yet?

It means that it might come out eventually, but don't your breath on a firm release date for now.

I think Ggultra is right. Considering what is going on, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't make it through 2013. It just seems like the company is taking on too much stuff right now and buckling under the pressure.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:53 am Reply with quote
So glad to see Fushigi Yugi and Squid Girl alive after all.

I'm wondering why Media Blasters is getting rid of so much of their catalog, including their big stuff.

Clyde_Cash wrote:
I won't be surprised if FUNimation rescues AMG. They did it with the second season--why stop there?

Only problem: AMG Season 2 has long hit the S.A.V.E. line.

Since ADV originally had Season 2, I'd imagine they'd be interested in picking up some goddess-related stuff (and while they're at it, license the new OVAs). Other than the new OVAs, every part of the anime was licensed and dubbed by SOMEONE (AnimEigo, Geneon, Media Blasters, ADV, FUNimation...). However now, the only part of the franchise that has NOT expired, is Season 2 of the TV series.

I'd like to see the original OVAs licensed by someone. It was sweet and simple, and it's where the characters, IMO, are the most likeable and enjoyable. It's one of the best shows AnimEigo worked on, and it certainly has one of their better English dubs (and one of my all-time favorites).
SaiyanHero16

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:07 am Reply with quote
Really hope to see Squid Girl season 2 still get a US release.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:20 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
2013 will be the year they go down.

In my eyes they've already died, they just haven't realised it yet.

I will miss them, but this has been a long time coming and it will be nice to finally put them to rest.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:03 am Reply with quote
While it's good to see some actual responses from them on this matter, at this point I've taken a "believe it when I see it" approach when it comes to any new releases from Media Blasters.

I certainly hope they can at least get Squid Girl out before they go down. At least give us THAT much. Confused
zensunni

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:28 am Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:

Maybe they will talk with Kodansha about getting "Fighting Wings" and the new OVAs for a nice special DVD/BluRay release, maybe even for the whole series! (A Belldandy fanboy's gotta dream, right?)
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:49 am Reply with quote
I second someone picking up the new and older OVA's, maybe a OVA collection. How about it, Funi? Wink
morisato

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:52 am Reply with quote
I had found out about the Ah! My Goddess license expired days ago. But, while I've been talking with some contacts who are quite familiar with the production staff of Ah! My Goddess in Japan, I do know that there has been no movement on the licensing for "Fighting Wings" and that the OAD series is an ongoing series at this time.

It's not known if Kodansha plans on continuing the series with a new season but that anime distribution companies don't generally license anime shows if there is an unknown number of episodes to be produced. With the OAD series, Kodansha happens to be greenlighting them on an episode by episode basis.

The first two OADs were thought to be it, until Kodansha greenlighted a new OAD, marking that as the third. They've had success with this type of anime production, packaging it with the manga, so that fans end up purchasing the manga volume at the same time as the OAD.

I run the most active AMG community online but, as far as what I've gathered, there has been no movement on licensing. What I can say is that distributors like Media Blasters, Funimation and Sentai don't reveal licensing details when they're still negotiating for that license.

Currently, the Oh My Goddess OVA series, Adventures of the Mini Goddess, Ah! My Goddess The Movie, Fighting Wings and the OAD anime episodes remain unlicensed. I have no doubt that Funimation will eventually rescue the first season license, but beyond that, it's up in the air. However, licensing all of these various anime productions would allow Funimation to produce a comprehensive boxed set featuring all of these shows and bring them under one roof. It would also allow for the release of these various anime productions under the Blu-ray format, something many fans have been waiting for.
nhat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:38 am Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Guess my prediction on 2013 being the swan song for Media Blasters is close to becoming a reality.

Doesn't take a genesis to predict anything when you have a dozen reports of stuff like this happening.
pakli1988

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:30 am Reply with quote
This is very bad, but I hope Media Blasters can license the 2010-2011 anime OVA series Queen's Blade: Beautiful Warriors sometime in 2013, but I hope it will release on one single DVD and Blu-ray release sometime in 2013.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Well I hope they can release Squid Girl 2 some time or just let some one else pick it up
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3