• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Light Novels in Japan by Series: 2012

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sasukeuzi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:13 pm Reply with quote
i expected Index to be higher lol
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see Kotenbu doing so well. The KyoAni adaptation was marvelous.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Sasukeuzi wrote:
i expected Index to be higher lol
well 3 of the 4 ahead of it had anime this year, so that helped their sales. Index will probably have more sales next year (maybe not higher on the chart) due to the movie and re-invigoration in the franchise.

3 of the top 10 of this list have had my favorite anime in recent years, and 7 of the top 20, same thing. I like this list a lot.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:19 pm Reply with quote
I wonder why the linking between anime is with popular light novels over manga. The publishers would also be wanting to push manga, so are light novels just a more otaku/general nerdy thing? Is there less competition and cannibalization in the LN world?
dragon695

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Wow, look at all that.
Dino_Rabbit

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see Sword Art Online doing well, I've started the anime a few days ago and now I'm totally in love with it. Definitely one of the best anime I have ever watched. Kirito and Asuna instantly became my favorite characters. ^^

With those sales I'm hoping it will get a second season. :D
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:00 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I wonder why the linking between anime is with popular light novels over manga. The publishers would also be wanting to push manga, so are light novels just a more otaku/general nerdy thing? Is there less competition and cannibalization in the LN world?

I dunno why exactly, but the otaku market has just latched onto LNs a lot more than manga in recent years, which is the exact same reason we're seeing more and more LN anime adaptions. Wouldn't surprise me if within a few years, we have more LN anime than manga anime.
Dino_Rabbit

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:07 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

I dunno why exactly, but the otaku market has just latched onto LNs a lot more than manga in recent years, which is the exact same reason we're seeing more and more LN anime adaptions. Wouldn't surprise me if within a few years, we have more LN anime than manga anime.

Even though I don't read either, I can say I like Light Novels more. Based on the adaptations we get, there are way more romance LNs than manga, since most romance manga are shoujo and josei which I don't like.

I prefer a romantic comedy or romance action LN (Toaru, Nakaimo, Oreimo, SAO, Haganai, Sakurasou, Campione etc.) to those shonen or seinen manga any day (Except awesome manga like K-On, Lucky Star and Yuru Yuri of course) because manga tend to be barbaric. Just see the gruesome fights in some of the shonen series such as Bleach or One Piece. Ugh.
Yerld

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:31 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

The link is applicable to both. Manga would be the traditional product to be promoted, whereas light novels have been aggressively pushed in recent years.

Toaru Majutsu no Index (from early 2009 onward, following the anime broadcast) was the title that truly inspired confidence, which brings us to today.

RyanSaotome wrote:
but the otaku market has just latched onto LNs a lot more than manga in recent years, which is the exact same reason we're seeing more and more LN anime adaptions. Wouldn't surprise me if within a few years, we have more LN anime than manga anime.

The market follows what the industry pushes. Amongst anime producers, the perception is that the supply of manga is drying up, so they've asked publishers (who are eager to oblige since they too want to promote their products as soon as it's viable) to pump out more light novels.

Why? It's a matter of producing enough source at a fast pace. With a new manga, it might take a couple years before they have enough material for an anime. However, with light novels, they can start planning a show much quicker, once two or three novels have been written.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:56 pm Reply with quote
The only two series I really care for on this list are Index and Hyouka so awesome for them. Sucks Durarara ain't on this list as well though.

As far as the whoe which is getting more anime adaptations, I could hardly care less as long as I like the series and if anything, Index has shown that I may just start finding the novels of the series to read myself beyond or before the anime as I do with manga. Just give me a nice series to get into and I could care less of the orgins!

As for SAO...well...more power to it I suppose, though I'm kind of done with the series...
yeoweekian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:15 am Reply with quote
exected results, since sao & accel world out so many voulme+ anime out this year, index didn't release much novels this year.. alot interesting series didn't make it to the list as they didn't release alot volumes this year. Very Happy
GiriOni

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:16 am Reply with quote
Meh... personally I believe that LN's got more popular/otaku culture-ish (Thus creating more anime) when Haruhi essentially pioneered LN animes. I could be wrong, (I tend to be frequently) though it seems like LN animes started popping up slightly more frequently with Haruhi, and even more after Index.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:33 am Reply with quote
I don't think Haruhi pioneered light novel anime, we've had adaptations going back to the 80s. What happened is more of a reaction that Haruhi, Shana, and others at the time became so popular that more writers began their stories, and in turn more of them got adapted back into anime. Even going so far as to adapt more Yoshiki Tanaka works, even if they were nowhere as good as Arslan or LoGH.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:59 am Reply with quote
Are you referring to Tytania, because that has to be one of the most disappointing series I've seen when it comes to expectations and actual payoff.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:11 am Reply with quote
I imagine that after the final episode of the Sword Art Online anime, we'll see a movie or second season announced then xD
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2