• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Compassionate Military Leaders

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doomroar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:37 am Reply with quote
man look at that poll:
samurai seven or sword of the stranger difficult as it gets
endu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:13 pm Reply with quote
anavel gato enouph said. he even lets the enemy go so the girl he loved could have him after his death. who on your list could do the same?
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:13 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
L?

I think this is who you mean is the greatest.

Ignoring the fact that he used what two of his competitors did. He may be a better strategist, but definitely not detective.
Ddoddka_10

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:10 am Reply with quote
Where's Lelouch on this list??? he's the top military comander in the Code Geass universe!!!

egoist wrote:
Seen Code Geass plenty of times, but have no clue who that is.

hahaha, took me a while to work out to...
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:16 am Reply with quote
From what I've heard about Lelouch, "compassionate" is hardly the word to describe him.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
From what I've heard about Lelouch, "compassionate" is hardly the word to describe him.

He is compassionate. spoiler[He even made his trusted lieutenant hate him so that her life would be spared.] Unlike most commanders on the list, he just has the balls to then make the hard decisions and get his hands dirty.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
It's great to see Conan in the #1 spot! For the new poll, Inuyasha would get my vote, but it seems it has been overlooked. I haven't voted yet though in hopes it will be added.

I too am also susprised it wasnt on the poll since it is also in the warran states era as well.

Also i am more susprised that Dalton and even misato is on the list. if your gonna put someone from CG on this list it should be todo.

Though Bright should definitely be number 1, i would take Mairue Ramius ( i think i got her name right ) from Gundam Seed or Gladys from GSD instead of Misato.

endu wrote:
anavel gato enouph said. he even lets the enemy go so the girl he loved could have him after his death. who on your list could do the same?

I sure as hell wouldnt put Gato on that list. He might have been a leader but it was during the end of during stardust memory, but i dont think he's a competent commander, though since it was so short, no one knows if he was a good commander or not.

Also , forget the notion of lelouch on this list ever. he is definitely not a compassionate commander PERIOD!!! Strategist, yes. but definitely not commander material.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Warran states?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Ddoddka_10 wrote:
Where's Lelouch on this list??? he's the top military comander in the Code Geass universe!!!

egoist wrote:

The list is 7 compassionate military leaders, not 7 psychotic military leaders.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

Except Lelouch was not psychotic, both by the medical definition and the common definition used by laypeople.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:54 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

Except Lelouch was not psychotic, both by the medical definition and the common definition used by laypeople.

I generally considering spoiler[blowing up a large volcano causing not only Volcanic winter but the death of hundreds of thousands from the explosion] to not be very compassionate.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

I generally considering spoiler[blowing up a large volcano causing not only Volcanic winter but the death of hundreds of thousands from the explosion] to not be very compassionate.

Uh, you were talking about Lelouch being psychotic. Which he's not. Now you've suddenly abandoned that argument and changed tack to compassion.

I didn't say he was compassionate to his enemies. And did spoiler[the Mt Fuji eruption/detonation really kill civilians? I can't remember any such deaths.]

Even when spoiler[he killed Euphemia he showed compassion. It's just that he didn't allow himself to act on it (though killing her was arguably a compassionate thing to do as he ended her suffering). Huh.]
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:13 am Reply with quote
Just got around to watching all of Pumpkin Scissors (I've been on a German kick), and I thought it was pretty good.

A nice storyline, quirky characters, a good view of post-war politics in the early twentieth century, mixed with dark implications of corruption in the background. The phrase "War Relief" got a little redundant, but I must say, it was still a very engaging storyline for 18 episodes.

And then it crashed. Good Lord, did it crash. It was like they were literally banking on getting another season, so they dragged the last six episodes out slooooooooooowly. In the end, nothing was resolved, dark machinations still went on, and everything about the Invisible 9 plotline just disappeared in exchange for six drolling episodes about the clash between nobles and commoners. What a waste.

Oh well. Still got the manga, I guess. And at least I got my allotment of German references. And luckily, it was all on Netflix!
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I take a lot of issue with using Lieutenant Colonel Bill Kilgore as an example of a military leader lacking compassion. Sure, he ordered some of his guys to go surfing in the middle of an ongoing firefight, but that's pretty much it as far as his offenses go. If you want real examples of leaders who show no concern for those under their command, Staff Sergeant Bob Barnes in Platoon and Captain Frank Ramsey in Crimson Tide are excellent examples. Heck, ROTC commander Doug Neidermeyer in freaking Animal House could qualify as well; there's a good reason why TV Tropes used him as the trope namer for a military leader despised by his own subordinates. But I digress.

It's a shame that Girls und Panzer slipped under the radar, as Miho Nishizumi could qualify. spoiler[She was perfectly willing to throw the final battle against Pravda in order to save the crew of the Tiger that fell into the water, because no victory was worth losing the lives of her fellow tankers.] (Then again, considering that Sensha-do is technically a sport and Miho is technically a civilian, she probably would have been ineligible for inclusion on the list due to that technicality. The military trappings should still count for something, though.)
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Ddoddka_10 wrote:

egoist wrote:

HAHAHAHHA!!

well if it's that list then i would agree with you 100%.

Compassionate,no. Psychotic,YES! and he would easily be number 1 on that list along with Raul Crusade.

and it's cause of his actions, and how much of a bastard he can be that lead to the arugument and comparission between him and Light Yagami.

and if there is anyone from CG i would put on this list it would be Todo the Miracle Worker,at least he is truly compassionate to his comrades. Dalton unfortunately is another story.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4