• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN Reader Survey

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Please leave any general comment you want to make about the survey. As always, I apologize in advance that not every possible answer in the world was included, please chose the closest available answer.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Not really a fan of the option "artbooks and other books" for the "what do you (want to) collect" question. I think light novels should have their own option since personally I do not want to collect artbooks and find that option way too vague to be seen as a pro-lightnovel option.
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I hope fractional answers were okay for the first couple questions. Not a lot of budget for hardcopies this year. (I am especially grateful for free ad-supported streaming this year.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Non-integer figures were not permitted in response to the question concerning monthly purchasing habits. This being the case, I could only round down to a trivial number.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BinBouGami1234

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Hope this helps you guys do an even better job than you are already doing. Smile
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Removed.

Last edited by Mesonoxian Eve on Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:25 pm Reply with quote
The site did ask the question, presumably because it wanted to know what readers thought. Seeing the staff berating commenters for their ignorance was not what I expected in response.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
The site did ask the question, presumably because it wanted to know what readers thought. Seeing the staff berating commenters for their ignorance was not what I expected in response.

Edit: you know what, nevermind. Not worth it.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:32 pm Reply with quote
While Crunchyroll does have a lot more subscribers than ANN does, it also has a lot more overhead and cost considering all the servers and bandwidth that they require.

Taking a look at WorthofWeb stats:

http://www.worthofweb.com/website-value/crunchyroll.com
http://www.worthofweb.com/website-value/animenewsnetwork.com

While of course these stats are only estimates and not to be seen as concrete (and the money value shown shouldn't even be considered), but I don't see the stated metrics (visitors, pageviews, etc) of ANN being far behind Crunchyroll at all. I think ANN deciding to stay away from streaming (other than embeds) was honestly a good choice personally.
Gwydion

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I had to give a "0" for "monthly anime purchases" as for me it's more like 2 or 3 a year, and that's no where near the 12 that would have been assumed had I put "1". I was generous and put "1" for the manga anyway, though, despite my sharp drop off from years past thanks to Borders closing (I just don't buy as much when I can't browse books by hand). Maybe bi-monthly, every 6 months, or allowing decimals would allow people to be more accurate?
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Removed.

Last edited by Mesonoxian Eve on Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:40 pm Reply with quote
You're entitled to your opinion.

It was a mistake for me to engage you in the first place and I'm not going to comment further.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:44 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was really odd to have "Windows Tablet" and "Other Tablet (e.g., iPad)" as responses, given how far ahead of Windows tablets both iPad and Android tablets are. I re-read it a few times to make sure I wasn't getting it wrong. Maybe this response was specific to an advertiser or partner who focuses on Windows tablets?

Also, I can't remember the last time I took a survey that didn't do the usual demographic questions -- age, gender, completed education. Not useful?
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
I selected "No" to the final question, but I'd like to expand on it a bit.

There's no easy way to say this, but here goes: I feel ANN is struggling to stay relevant, and I'm wondering how long it'll be before there's a message saying "It was fun! Toodles!"

Years ago, this site was the place to go for anime information. Its encyclopedia was invaluable, and bolstered with support from reviews and fan opinions. Now, because it sat idle, I find Wikipedia more useful. The site gives much more information, and the encyclopedia can no longer keep up.

I'd like to use ANN's streaming services, but the layout to the site makes it an arduous quest. In addition, the site's in no position to exclude subscriber accounts from having to view the ads. I will never support a streaming model which forces me to watch ads while paying.

I understand the revenue needed to accomplish major change is an issue, but therein lies the problem. In all these years, has ANN's subscriber base ever exceeded 500 members? I believe it was Dan who stated there were less than 400 active subscribers.

I can only participate as a viewer in watching this transpire. In all the years ANN has been legal, we've watched as a fansub site started, grew, then turned legitimate while ANN watched the world pass it by. I often ask, "Why isn't ANN in CR's position right now?" When the news FUNimation sought NicoNico, a site that's probably more familiar with those who grew up wearing Barney diapers than those of us growing up on Robotech, it struck the same chord as the CR news did years ago.

It's tough to watch this, considering I come here for my anime news, but use (and pay) for streaming services at CR. I'd have absolutely no problem ditching CR if ANN could offer the same, if not more, than CR, but it's not looking like this can happen.

This is why my answer is "No", as difficult as it was to write this.

The part of your opinion I agree with is that the site's general layout to get to certain destinations could be revisited and streamlined. I think that would be a useful update. However, I wouldn't like to see ANN go the way of Crunchyroll for a few reasons.

I like Crunchyroll for what its niche is, streaming anime simultaneously with Japanese releases. The site also features a "New Way" journalism style that I don't really care for and would be dismayed to see ANN adopt. It tends to be less reliable due to factual mistakes or sometimes based on rumor but presented as facts. In general, I question the professionalism of its news article output and wish they'd take it seriously, considering how large their audience is that probably reads it.

Which is why, I feel, AnimeNewsNetwork is needed to fill that gap. The streaming market already has many, many options and there are even more blog-style anime news sites but I don't know of any other site that presents its news with the same traditional journalism style as ANN, and that's something I'd like to see continue.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
machetecat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:40 pm Reply with quote
...Why are we comparing ANN to Crunchyroll? Yeah Crunchyroll has news and ANN has streams, but Crunchyroll's main THING is streams, and ANN's main THING is news... the other stuff is just side stuff that I never payed attention too...

Plus ANN tried doing the license streaming with Oreimo, and it turned out that it just wasn't their thing... so I REALLY don't get why it's being compared with Crunchyroll.

As for subscribers and such, this site's free to read without joining and without paying subscription. Joining the site just means you can participate the forums, change the banner, make your list and such, whilst paying means you don't get ads, access to the better servers and.... idk what the other perks are. but if you're just wanting to read the news, you don't HAVE to join the site, which I imagine a LOT of people prefer, so I don't see why that would be a downfall for the site.

Anyway, the survey was fine, but I wished, along with the other console options, there was a streaming device mentioned. I prefer streaming Crunchyroll and FUNi on my Roku, and there are also options such as Boxee Box, Apple TV, Netgear's thing, the Western Digital streaming box, etc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9