• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN Reader Survey

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Took the survey, hope it'll help ANN in a good way in the future. Glad I could participate and help. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:33 pm Reply with quote
A couple of minor suggestions:

A lot of your news and intrest articles are headlined like this:

"Scrapped Princess/Polyphonica's Sakaki Pens 'Vocaloid' Work" The article in question had nothing to do with Scrapped Princess or Polyphonica other than "oh yeah, he wrote those too". I realize this is an attempt to grab eyes, however, even knowing you use that format I feel let down and iritated. It is sort of a form of bait and switch.

I would have used something like "Author Sakaki pens 'Vocaloid work' (author of prior works Scrapped Princess and Polyphonica).

The other suggestion is that when ever you provide news or reviews of a show currently streaming. Please at least say where it is streaming, better yet provide a link to the site if not to the specific show.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
A couple of minor suggestions:

A lot of your news and intrest articles are headlined like this:

"Scrapped Princess/Polyphonica's Sakaki Pens 'Vocaloid' Work" The article in question had nothing to do with Scrapped Princess or Polyphonica other than "oh yeah, he wrote those too". I realize this is an attempt to grab eyes, however, even knowing you use that format I feel let down and iritated. It is sort of a form of bait and switch.

I would have used something like "Author Sakaki pens 'Vocaloid work' (author of prior works Scrapped Princess and Polyphonica).

You know what would be cool? "Writer Ichiro Sakaki pens 'Vocaloid work'" and then when you mouseover the name, the top 2-3 titles (based on ANN's rankings) that he was the writer on would pop up. The downside would be that the news crew would have to adopt a sort of standardized article naming scheme to get it to work automatically. Also, that might be harsh on the servers if a story gets a lot of views.
Kosaka

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:10 pm Reply with quote
In future, if you wanted to expand the web site list to anime and/or manga web sites, you could include

http://mangabookshelf.com/

If listed, it would have been my #2 site, including its component blog sites. In addition to

http://www.fandompost.com/

sometimes I look at

http://www.mania.com/reviews_by_title.php

to see Chris Beveridge's pre-FandomPost reviews.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Gwydion wrote:
Yeah, I had to give a "0" for "monthly anime purchases" as for me it's more like 2 or 3 a year, and that's no where near the 12 that would have been assumed had I put "1".

If you buy 0-5 a year, mark down "0" If you buy 6-12 a year, mark down "1".

It's too late to change it as the results would then become invalid. Next time I ask this question I'll ask "per year"

I buy 2-5 BDs a month (and I either answered '4' or '5' for the question), but most of the time they're all imports from Japan rather than US releases.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:22 pm Reply with quote
I see that ANN is only interested in people who buy 12 or more DVDs / BDs per year ~ "divide how many you buy per year by 12" doesn't give a number 1 or bigger for everyone who buys DVDs or BDs.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:24 pm Reply with quote
I think ANN is great. I like all the news and interest articles. Another important part of ANN is the personalities. The people that work for ANN or provide reviews or other commentary are as equally important as the actual content itself.

True there is always room for improvement, but you guys and gals are doing a great job, and it makes ANN a required daily visit.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:24 pm Reply with quote
"Are you interested in someday going to Japan?"

...Kind of hard to answer Yes or No when you're living in Japan. ^^;
la_contessa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:27 pm Reply with quote
I too had to put 0, simply because I buy maybe 3-4 box sets a year--unless I'm supposed to count each disc in the box set? I know the fraction thing will be changed for next year's survey, but maybe it could be worded to clarify how to handle box sets?

I wanted to throw my two cents in and say that aside from being a convenient place to get all my anime and manga news in one place, my favorite aspect of ANN is the sheer amount of experience and knowledge in the staff. Answer Man has always been one of my favorite columns on the internet, and ANNCast is the only podcast I listen to. I still go back and refer to the interviews with Geneon and ADV staff members after their respective collapses. I feel like your contacts in the industry allow you to provide a service that no one else can, which is why I keep coming back.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

Oh god yes... Some of those headlines are downright irritating to read. But just to be clear, I feel like this one is perfectly fine: "Zero no Tsukaima Author Yamaguchi to Leave Hospital", because obviously the article is about the person and NOT about another of his or her creations (which would make the headline probably more confusing to read than it should).

That being said, I've been reading the site for almost 10 years now and I still love the place. But I have to admit that, as a whole, it didn't evolve as much as I would have liked. I love the new columns (The Stream was a great addition for example), but ANN changed so little in recent years that now it does feel a bit old (at least when compared to other anime sites, Crunchyroll being the most obvious/recent example).
Not that I would dramatically change everything here, but I'm REALLY looking forward to an eventual layout change (which Tempest kind of hinted to), and I strongly hope it's not going to be some minor tweaks. Visually (and navigability-wise), I feel like ANN is due for a major shake-up.

And since my survey is filled already, and I totally forgot to add Fandom Post as one of my favorite sites, I'll just post here that it's my #3 after ANN and A-P.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kosaka

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:32 pm Reply with quote
One minor site suggestion, in the news archive page for a month, you could list copies of the links from the Daily Briefs pages. For example,

Friday, Nov 30, 2012 [14]
Daily Briefs (23:57)
New York Times Manga Best Seller List, November 18-24 (18:30)

to

Friday, Nov 30, 2012 [14]
Daily Briefs (23:57)
New Infinite Stratos Novella Offered at Comic Market
Joshiraku BDs/DVDs 4-6 Delayed 1 Month
D.C.III ~Da Capo III~ TV Anime Slated for January 5
Amnesia Romance Game's TV Anime Slated for January
Love Live! TV Anime Slated for January
Nekomonogatari (Black) Event to Be Held on December 7
New York Times Manga Best Seller List, November 18-24 (18:30)
darknight15

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Please Please do a review of the Rave Master 33-35 omnibus

Review a Hunter x Hunter Volume because there has never been one.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:51 pm Reply with quote
fireaxe wrote:

Not that I would dramatically change everything here, but I'm REALLY looking forward to an eventual layout change (which Tempest kind of hinted to), and I strongly hope it's not going to be some minor tweaks. Visually (and navigability-wise), I feel like ANN is due for a major shake-up.

I don't think I'm telling tales out of school here when I say that this is definitely in the works!
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:52 pm Reply with quote
In response to some of the other criticisms, I'd like to throw my two cents in and say that I love ANN's encyclopaedia feature. As well as news, it's my favourite thing about the site. The only complaint there is, as has been mentioned elsewhere, the lack of truly comprehensive coverage, mainly in the more obscure shorter unlicensed manga from less popular manga magazines. I'd estimate a good third of my manga entries on MAL are not on ANN because of obscurity. But I understand the reasons behind it.
I would like to see a few less articles on games not related to anime/manga franchises, but I get the fandom crossover and can live with it.
In regards to streaming services, I don't do that and couldn't care less. And I agree with the point that Anime News Network is a news site.
In regards to the survey, I hope the results are helpful and illuminating. Keep doing a good job, guys.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
fireaxe wrote:

I don't think I'm telling tales out of school here when I say that this is definitely in the works!

Excellent news then, I'm really looking forward to see it go live!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9