• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shonen Jump Alpha Offered on Android for Free With Ads

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GordanHam

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:12 am Reply with quote
I'm a subscriber and I have no problem with this. Happy they can reach more people.

And a littled dated in the last paragraph there. Both Bakuman. and Barrage no longer run in the anthology. The other series are Cross Manage, Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan, Rurouni Kenshin Restoration, and Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal. Smile
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:25 am Reply with quote
Hm, maybe I'll download it after they go simultaneous.
jagman1x3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:43 am Reply with quote
It looks like you have to download an app that they choose each week to be able to read it. Unfortunately, they don't seem to be aware that both of the apps they chose for this week are incompatible with several Android devices, including mine. If they could fix this, I would sign up in an instant.
matthewlow

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:10 am Reply with quote
Great idea. Hard to complain about not being able to read manga now. However, I still fail to see why people don't just subscribe. I made money by subscribing by just selling one of the YuGiOh cards for more than the price of a one year subscription. Selling the other five is just profit at this point in time.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:11 am Reply with quote
Viz seems to pick and choose what kind of android tablets they want to support in a very haphazard way. Mostly stuff that is the newest technology possible. If you have tablet that is 9 months to a year old, their apps wont support it.

Thing is, my year old tablet works just fine and I'm not going to buy a new tablet because Viz won't support it. So they don't get my business. I guess they are fine with that since they never, ever, respond when you write to them, and they never change anything.

I haven't up-graded my tech in a year. To Viz that means I'm not good enough or trendy enough to spend my money on their stuff, ---even if I want to!

Great business model there, Viz!

I swear, they are probably one of my favorite examples of a business that seemingly strives for failure. Up there with Sony, the company with a track record of failed business models, and with whom Viz has chosen to partner.
j123ready

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:34 pm Reply with quote
So, I've downloaded and launched 2 of the 4 apps they have on there... but I don't get where i can view my points nor how to spend them...
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Finally, the *true* Crunchyroll model for manga!

I don't know if their app will be supported by any of the Android devices I have access to (family member's, I don't own one), but I'll try it. I'm thinking of getting a subscription anyway. I have no interest in Yu-Gi-Oh, so I didn't know those cards were worth anything. Thanks for the tip, Matthewlow!
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:54 pm Reply with quote
jagman1x3 wrote:
It looks like you have to download an app that they choose each week to be able to read it.

So it's offerware instead of adware? That's disappointing (and misleading to boot.) Luckily it only supports my old tablet, so I won't feel bad about removing immediately.
qjackson

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Sounded like a great idea. It still is but those compatibility issues might haunt VIZ later on. I know if I had an up to date tablet I would even be here right now.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:19 am Reply with quote
matthewlow wrote:
Great idea. Hard to complain about not being able to read manga now. However, I still fail to see why people don't just subscribe. I made money by subscribing by just selling one of the YuGiOh cards for more than the price of a one year subscription. Selling the other five is just profit at this point in time.

That's great if your tablet happen to be a tablet they support, but as others have said, their reader is a piece of shit freemium spyware laden thing that won't install on most tablets that are older than one year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1