• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Extreme Conditions

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:14 am Reply with quote
I just want Matsuno and Daisuke Ishiwatari to do a game together. Lord only knows it'd a Queen fanboy freakout
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:19 am Reply with quote
I just want an english version of EX Troopers, Capcom. You can go back to screwing up every other IP In your library but just give me EX Troopers, please.
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:09 am Reply with quote
I have both Bravely Default and the LaytonxNaruhodo game.
And my own thoughts?

You wouldn't normally praise a game that sticks to Final Fantasy-type gameplay without some kind of twist that changes the game entirely and makes it... well... fun. The Bravery and Default system is neat, but it doesn't necessarily change anything too drastic.
DON'T LET THAT FOOL YOU.
I have been engrossed so much in the aesthetics of this game that I'm convinced it's one of the few games out there that can still go down the pure Japanese root of "same game, just prettier" and come out to be an amazing game simply because they've used new tactics to engross the player in the world of the game. It's not necessarily good graphics, either. It's the flow of the painted world, along with the story (which is generic as all heck, yet hardly forgettable by any means) that seems to have me stuck.

I've been too busy playing BD:FF and I haven't finished Kiseki no Kamen (Layton game #5 for 3DS) yet, though, so even though I have it, I haven't started playing the Layton x Naruhodo game past the opening two parts. Yet I already love it. For some reason, I thought it was going to combine both its gameplay into one thing so that the puzzles had some Gyakuten gameplay and the courts had some puzzles in them. I thought that would be a daring, but fun thing to do. Or outside investigations would combine both Layton and Gyakuten gameplay as well. Unfortunately, it separates them quite cleanly... but I've yet to complain about it, too. It feels blended enough elsewhere that it's not a big deal to me after all. =P
Oh, and unlike previous Layton/Gyakuten games, it doesn't seem to hint to chronological order that much, either. So I might just start playing it without worrying about finishing Kiseki no Kamen.
kanechin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:18 am Reply with quote
I would buy a 3DS if PW vs PL is released here.
Idea for a dlc case, get Sissel involved somehow.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:15 am Reply with quote
Nice to see British actor Jude Law getting into the Tales series Very Happy
kakitamike

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:36 am Reply with quote
This is kinda random, but I always thought the thumbnail pic for the article was taken from one of the screenshots within. Is this the first that isn't, or am I just imagining things?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm getting my 3DS ready for Crimson Shroud.

I'm not exactly sold on the table-top game concept, but the quality of the work that looks to have gone into it seems like enough reason to give it a chance (especially if NintendoLife likes it).
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Bravely Default: I just don't understand why they wouldn't release this one here. If it's got all the trimmings of a classic type of RPG that everyone adored playing back in the day, then release it to get a major profit haul. People crave games like this.

Ni no Kuni: I've watched the demo and I have to say I'm liking what I see so far. I think this game is going on my add list.

Dungeons & Golf: That just looks and sounds desperately pathetic, like the industry's run out of ideas altogether.

Dai-2-Ji Super Robot Wars: The only name I recognize there is Browning, only because his son is a character who has come to the states via Endless Frontier.

Unchained Blades EXIIV: Still need to play the first one. I dig the idea of calling on so many different artists to work on the character designs too just like the first one.

Crimson Shroud: I've always found tabletop RPGs to be a such a snore (yes I know all RPGs started with pen and paper gameplay), but I could give this one a chance.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:25 pm Reply with quote
And suddenly I'm busting out laughing at 'Dungeon's & Golf". Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Are you serious? I'm dying here. I can't even believe I was seeing what I was seeing. At first I thought it was KOS-MOS from Xenosaga. I was like "WTF???" Well, if you're a fan of golf this might be the game for you. But this probably would have worked better if the line up were characters that many know. But hey, I don't watch golf, I don't understand what the hubbub is about it yet, if I told them that I found it boring they'd tell me that I was an uncultured upstart that can't understand the sheer awesomeness behind it.

Okay...

I must be in a good mood today.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:26 pm Reply with quote
I actually kind of thought Golf might lend itself to certain aspects of RPG. Especially in the equipment department.
+4 putter of Accuracy....
Driver of Power...
Tee of benefit
+2 ball of luck
etc...

Any reason why the X button talkback thread is in the UK section?
Kind of throwing me off.
naninanino

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Ni no Kuni: finally, I've waited long for this. Lets hope no one gets the short end of the stick on the localization in such a great project. I'm also keeping an eye on what kind of actual improvements Hokuto Musou 2 will bring. I hope they keep the combo system the same and keep everyone feeling different. Platforming and the uselss finisher combinations should be scrapped.

And yeah, the golf thing put a smile on my face. Looks like someone from Valkyrie Profile swinging her iron. In some level, I find it very fascinating.
GVman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:07 pm Reply with quote
You forgot to mention that jumping was replaced with dash/dodge function to speed up the gameplay. Boss fights are now evasion-based. Also, Rin isn't psychic.

While I'm throwing details out there, Illusion Mode is going to feature stages that take place before the nuclear apocalypse that feature (gasp) plant life!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:09 am Reply with quote
Murder, She wrote:

The PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 get a retail collection of The Walking Dead, Telltale's lauded episodic prequel to the equally acclaimed TV series.

One of the better game adaptations of a TV series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1