• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-02-17]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:50 am Reply with quote
All I could think of when reading the first question: "What is Anime?" ><

If you want tough questions, maybe I should start asking them. Rolling Eyes

Oh, and kitty bundle=WAI!
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:56 am Reply with quote
You know, general rule of thumb is, if you know who's fansubbing a licensed series and aren't intending on reporting them/turning them in, you do NOT publicly post the names or any other information. Sheesh....

But yeah, there's fansubs of Fate/Stay Night. But the question is, is anyone even remotely surprised by this?
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:59 am Reply with quote
Tezuka produced a number of Christian-themed anime titles which got broadcasts on various U.S. religious channels in the 80's. Also, I remember the forum users at Ecchi Attack linking a doujinshi site which was basically Jack Chick manga-style.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:28 am Reply with quote
There is a Christian Manga BTW:

http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA6303292.html

Name goes under Serenity. Barbour Publishing, ISBN 1593109415 and 1593109423.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:40 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

Um, yeah, there was only a 5-page thread about it right here in this forum a couple of months back. Laughing
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:43 am Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

Um, yeah, there was only a 5-page thread about it right here in this forum a couple of months back. Laughing

It's also mentioned in the letter itself.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:56 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Patachu wrote:
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

It's also mentioned in the letter itself.

Fine, you got your payback for the grammar error in the other thread. We're even Answerman.
AGS452

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:03 am Reply with quote
When I read the first question, I kept wondering how old the guy was. Because my mom has watched some anime with me over the years. She understands it and she's like 50. She even likes some of the characters in some of the shows she seen. Heck, she understands fangirl rants/speak, even if they include Dub Vs. Sub debates, talk of seiyuu, shows she never seen(you'd have to tell her the story, but...), or something involving J-music.
maus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:26 am Reply with quote
That was the greatest flake of the week I've ever read! Anime hyper
A Total Recall poem with Ah-nold accent! How do you come up with that?! Laughing
And I have to say to the guy in the first letter. Why buy if you have doubts about the content? First do your research properly, before you watch an anime with your children.
TiredGamer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:40 am Reply with quote
Just to be a flake myself:

The Fonz did not jump the shark on his motorcycle, he did it on jet skis. He wore his jacket and everything.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:34 am Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

I never saw the discussion of it here, but I talked about it in another forum. There was some images from the book in it (from a preview page) and it looked really, really bad.

I'm a Christian myself, but I would never buy that crap.

Quote:
By and large, Christian entertainment, for whatever reason, has always been about beating the viewer over the head with heavy-handed Christian moral lessons and saying over and over again that Jesus is the lord and savior, etc; I've never understood why it (or what little I've seen of it; I'm not a religious man at all) always seems to be so preachy, as though the message comes first and everything else, including character, storyline and plot are all secondary and are only written in so they can further the "Christ is Lord" message.

Like you said, most of it sucks because it's too focused on the Christian message and not enough on decent righting (or art, as the case may be). Chronicles of Narnia and Lord of the Rings are both by Christian authors (though in the case of the latter, I don't know if he was Christian at the time it was written) and they are very popular and well written. And they don't beat you over the head with the message.

On a side note, I do remember reading a Christian American comic (about the first 5 issues) a while back called Archangels or something like that. It focused on the battle between angels and demons going on everyday (this doesn't mesh with all denomination's theology, but it is a Christian comic and a rather good one at that).
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:00 am Reply with quote
Schwarzenegger parodies are funny, although what they have to do with anime is anyone's guess...
Doctor Worm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:02 am Reply with quote
This week's Answerman gets 100 brownie points for giving one of the best answers to "Why anime?" plus 100 more for NOT BEING LONGWINDED! I swear, certain folks end up writing novels or something when asked such a question.

An additional 259053905329035920593029503290352 brownie points for referencing "Total Recallin'" ahahahahaha.. I remember that song!
AutoGyro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
what do you think the chances are that someone will come out with a decent, christian-based manga?

Wouldn't "Chrono Crusade" qualify?...it has nuns...and, ahh...it's good! Very Happy
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:23 am Reply with quote
AutoGyro wrote:
Quote:
what do you think the chances are that someone will come out with a decent, christian-based manga?

Wouldn't "Chrono Crusade" qualify?...it has nuns...and, ahh...it's good! Very Happy

Methinks my pastor would have some questions about a nun who basically sells her soul to a demon to find her brother.....

If you want a good "Christian" story that could be animated/drawn, C. S. Lewis' Space Trilogy would be an awesome choice.

As would a book that came out years ago called Leviathian, about a genetically engineered dragon that escapes from a military facility and a priest and his ex-best friend have to join up to stop it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5