• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 10 / Worst 5 things. Why? (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:11 pm Reply with quote
takanome--
First of all, welcome to the fora; I hope that you enjoy yourself here! Anime catgrin Cool Anime smile Smile Very Happy
Second of all, Please read rule #3 of "Teh Rules".
El Don Med

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:10 am Reply with quote
[EDIT: No listing. Put reasons for each choice, please. -TK]
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:11 pm Reply with quote
First post here.

I have more knowledge into anime films than series, so I an not in a position to give my top series but I would give my top 10 anime films as follows:

1 - Nausicaa: Its the Citizen Kane of animation, setting the standards for the development of anime over the next several decades. It is also a near flawless science fiction film in its own right, perhaps the best science fiction film ever made.
2 - Princess Mononoke: Its actually a remake of Nausicaa, has better animation and soundtrack but lacks the main character of the first film, the terrific opening and the dream sequence. So I gave Nausicaa the edge.
3 - Spirited Away: It is perhaps the best animated film ever made from the point of view of general audiences (indeed, it has the highest average rating in the IMDB among all animated films). It has a more universal appeal than either Nausicaa or Princess Mononoke, which are the favorites of more die hard fans of japanese animation.
4 - Grave of the Fireflies: Burns a hole into your heart. Certainly one of the most powerful films ever made (just as I am posting this we have news of the blu-ray release of this films).
5 - Only Yesterday : I find it well underrated, I always cry at the end. It is a drama where nobody dies and nothing really "important" happens but it touches the heart like very few films do.
6 - My Neighbor Totoro: Yes, it was made for 5-6 year olds, but even Akira Kurosawa included into his favorite films list. It is indeed a monumental work of art and it was even ranked as the greatest animated film ever made in the last poll by the British Film Institute. Like Spirited Away, it is one of the best animated films for general audiences.
7 - Whisper of the Heart: Incredibly, this film aimed at teenager girls touches an 23 year old adult male like few other films.
8 - Kiki's Delivery Service: Also well underrated classic. It is as cute as totoro but has more complex characters.
9 - Castle in the Sky: I don't rate this grand adventure film as highly as others do. That's because I found it to be too conventional even though it has a flawless execution.
10 - Summer Wars: I laughed at this film more than at any Monty Python film. It truly captures the "feeling" of the internet age.

Well, 9 out of 10 are Ghilbli films, with the exception of Summer Wars, which is also a film that has much of the "feeling" of Ghibli films. Well, that's not because I don't know other anime films, but simply because Ghibli films are on their own category of greatness. Satoshi Kon & co made some great films, but no timeless masterpiece such as Nausicaa or Spirited Away.

Runner ups to the top ten: The End of Evangelion (though one needs to watch the whole series before the film), Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Paprika, Porco Rosso, Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, Howls Moving Castle, etc.

Worst anime films? Well, I think that Pom Poko, still another film from ghibli, takes the prize as the work anime film I ever watched. Takahata really dropped the balls on that one (pun intended). Nothing works on this film: the relationships between the characters seem forced and the plot is terribly silly. Interestingly, Princess Mononoke and Nausicaa were about the same general subject, but these two films dealt with the matter in a much more effective way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz--
Dude, welcome to the fora!
sainta

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Listing the ten best of mine. They are anime, not manga:

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood: I had already enjoyed Fullmetal Alchemist a lot as a kid, but was kind of annoyed by the last ten episodes. Then Brotherhood adapted the manga and I was mindblown! The animation was consistent and there was no censorship. Hohenheim's backstory was epic, the Homunculi were scarier, etc.

Mobile Suit Gundam SEED: I had seen several Gundam shows but I never got into the characters too much. Then I watched SEED and it was pretty epic. The drama in war was there, good animation, friendship and all that. I was surprised by the hatred SEED Destiny got but kind of made sense that it was only in the Western side. Western don't like much calm heroes like Kira right?

InuYasha: An epic feudal story. The story appeared to have some pacing issues but it was easier to notice in the last 40 episodes. Thankfully, Final Act gave a nice treatment to to the final story arcs.

Rurouni Kenshin: Kenshin's pacifism broke the stereotype of heroes I had always seen. It was the first time I was put sad by a story.

Naruto: A cast really colorful and all connected story arcs. Also the focus on dark character like Sasuke was pretty good. Only the first 135 episodes. Don't care much about the fillers.

Code Geass: All hail Lelouch, all hail Lelouch, all hail Lelouch , all hail Lelouch

Full Metal Panic: Sosuke's unfitting character and the comedy really sold this show to me. Too bad a fourth TV series wasn't announced yet.

X/1999: "The TV series, no the manga, no the TV series" I could spend several hourse deciding what version is better, but lets just say they both make very good end of the world scenarios.

Dragon Ball Z Kai: It was hard getting into DBZ with long and long and long pacing so Kai helped a lot to get into the show. The ending with the Cell arc felt very good for the finale.

Saint Seiya: A show from my childhood. Now the spinoff series are making me very happy.

EDIT: Adding worst series:
Demon Lord Dante I don't what was going on with Go Nagai but the plot was having too many holes by the last episode which happened to be the last one. Also the crazy ending spoiler[Incest kills God and at the same time causes the apocalypse. The world reboots to the Garden of Eden, and that obviously means that God wins.]

Garzey's Wings: What the heck Tomino?! I mean, what?!

Mythical Sleuth Loki: This could be really long but lets just say that everybody forgets about the villain.

Char's Counterattack: I don't like the way Char's character was handled. In Zeta he had already surpassed all his pain to face the future alongside his allies (he was actually more concerned about Kamille in Zeta). In CCA he trashes everything he did by turning into a really immature dude with a crazy plan. My guess is that Tomino just couldn't find another enemy for Amuro. I like people's theories that Char from CCA is not Quattro but a clone or Johnny because that makes sense for this change.

Last edited by sainta on Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Roland1979

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:05 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT: No listing. Put reasons. -TK]
YamiNoOkami

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:28 am Reply with quote
[EDIT: No listing. Put reasons. -TK]
TootsieRoll

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:33 am Reply with quote
A newbie here. Only watched about 100+ animes so pardon my opinion.

Favorite Anime

10. Angel Beats

This could have been my favorite anime if not for several flaws in the story that brought it down. This anime changed my perception of life. Some might say, exaggeration much? But it really did. One of the most promising premise that was just weigh down by its flaws.

9. Kanon (2006)

I forgotten how many times I cried watching this anime. Very touching and moving anime. A total raw exposure of our emotions, the first few episodes I laughed, the next few episodes I cried.

8. Spirited Away

Just magnificent. Everything about this movie is almost flawless, the art, the setting, the excellent plot. Miyazaki's masterpiece.

7. AnoHana

Really touching story. Another tear-jerker. It also says a very important point about friendship.

6. Usagi Drop

When I first started watching this anime, I thought of it as just another slice-of-life average story. Never would I have expected loving it so much. This is a very sweet story. I adore Rin, I think she is very mature for her age.

5. Monster

Starts out slow but quickly establishes as one of the best seinen anime out there. I love how almost every episodes has a cliffhanger that makes you wanting more. The villain is really one of the most realistic and evil villain out there. The ending is pretty blah though.

4. Code Geass R2

Didn't like R1 that much as I was bored to death watching the first few episodes. But really liked it the rest of the R1 and continued on to R2 and felt it was really smart and was really engaging and entertaining. Lelouch is really one of the best characters out there. Loved every bit of it.

3. Death Note

One of the first few anime I watched. I was blown away by it. The plot is tremendously smart. A very gripping and mind-blowing anime. The ongoing battle between Light and L is one of the best rivalries there's ever been.

2. Durarara

A very character-driven anime. This is particularly awesome as almost every character contributes big time to the plot and the twists are well done.

1. Steins;Gate

I completely ADORE the plot, I love anime which makes me guess and think. I love anime that has awesome characters. I love anime which has humor contained but is not overdone. I love twist that send chills down my spine. This anime has every bit of the things I love.

Least Favorite Anime

5. K-On!

Oh god, can't stand this. I think it is boring and moe and a big waste of time. Tried a few episodes and dropped it.

4. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni

I think I'm going to get some backlash for this one. Lets just say this first, I love horror shows but for this show, I hated every single character in this show. Every single one of them. I think they are all crazy and psychotic. I think their life is really miserable and I really feel depressed watching this anime. I feel like cutting myself while watching this.

3. Nichijou

Childish immature humour that fails big time in making me laugh.

2. Air

I'm a fan of KEY and I am really okay with Clannad and I loved Kanon and Angel Beats. Main problem I have with this show is I do not understand the ending, I think it is pretty pretentious in trying to achieve a good ending. I also find the show to be boring throughout and really unrealistic.

1. FLCL

Sorry FLCL fans. This show is just really bad. I have a hard time understanding anything that is happening in this show. I didn't laugh once the first 4 episodes, hell, I didn't even smile. Unfunny. I feel my IQ dropping every time I watch this show. Either the producer is a genius or a total whoop-ass, for now, I just think that he/she is the latter.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:58 am Reply with quote
TootsieRoll--
  1. Welcome to the fora! Very Happy
  2. Regarding FLCL, please see this [Adult Swim] posting.
TootsieRoll

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:36 am Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
TootsieRoll--

Thanks for the link! Just read it and understood the anime a little better, but still I feel FLCL should be more straightforward in telling the story, and not letting viewers watch the anime a few more times just to understand, but of course that's my own opinion, and I feel if I understood all that plot within just 1 viewing, I would have liked the anime way better. Still does not change my mind about it being my least favourite anime.
yogurtovsky

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:29 pm Reply with quote
best 10, yay!

1. Samurai X: Trust & Betrayal - The Rurouni Kenshin movie. Anyone who've seen this would agree on one thing. It was absolutely touching. Never before or after any movie or a show had stricken me right in the feelings so I would actually shed tears of sadness, not even spoiler[when Maximus died in The Gladiator] I had cried so hard.

2. Elfen Lied - Shame on me, I only watched it recently, after two failed tries of finishing episode one. And it was worth it. I was completely sucked in and for the first time in my life I watched two episodes per day, just so it wouldn't finish it too fast.

3. Slayers - Good ol' Slayers. Who doesn't love Lina? One of the first shows I've watched as a kid. It was aired on TV and had god awful dubbing (better than DBZ dubbed from French though). I especially loved first two seasons and I really wish for a reboot.

4. FMA: Brotherhood - I absolutely loved the manga, so I gave it a watch, not every anime is able to stand on par with it's manga original (see Fairy Tail), but it did. Animation was fabulous, homunculi were awesome, everything was awesome.

5. Gintama - What can I say? I love it. I love the gags, the characters and, especially, it's serious arcs. The show is mostly just people messing around but when the seriousness kicks in it's too cool.

6. Code Geass - I wasn't sure if I even liked it at all after few first episodes, as I'm not into mecha stuff, but there's not so much as I thought and overall I liked it. The story was actually pretty good, and actually makes you root for a villain that Lelouch in fact is.spoiler[I really hope R3 will happen and he didn't die.]

7. Avatar: The Last Airbender - I'm not totally sure if it fits into "anime", but the Japanese call every animation "anime", so I'll go with their definition. It's pretty unique, interesting, and funny too. Aang is actually a badass when he's not busy being a goofy kid.

8. Fate/Zero - It's the first, and so far the only Fate/xx show I've watched in it's entirety. I liked it's fair amount of darkness shrouding some of the characters. And Saber was actually somewhat interesting as oppossed to F/SN.

9. Hajime no Ippo - Yay, Ippo! I'm still following the manga which hit 1k chapters recently, and I wondered if there's an anime. It was short, but enjoyable. Funny. And boxing. Funny boxing.

10. The Legend of the Legendary Heroes - I was thinking what place to put it, but since it's finished in the most interesting moment I put it on 10. It's sad that it doesn't get as much attention in Japan as it should have, so season 2 ETA is most probably never. Too bad, gotta find LN somehow.

worst 5, in no particular order:

One Piece - uninteresting plot, uninteresting characters. Oh, and pirates. I don't like pirates.

Fate/Stay Night - watching this after watching F/Z it was like going to my local football team match after coming back from El Clasico on Camp Nou. And my local team isn't even 3rd league.

Fairy Tail - nakama power. I still watch it tho. Don't know why.

Sword Art Online - a video game. Seriously? Worst idea ever.

Dragon Ball GT - so far the only DB franchise I didn't like. The plot is bad and SSJ4 looks like a monkey.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:54 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
TootsieRoll--

I agree with TootsieRoll about FLCL; I just could not find anything to focus on long enough to enjoy because of the show's spastic and vague nature. The characters were annoying, off-putting, and un-relatable, the dialogue was weak (at least in the dub version), and if a show needs an accompanying essay just to understand what the hell is going on (let alone actually enjoy it), it's not for me.

It's not like a show like, say, Baccano! - where you can mostly follow along and enjoy it the first time through, and then re-watch to fully understand and fill in the gaps. A re-watch of FLCL would have done nothing to aid in my quest to figure it all out.

Anyway, I will return to post my list in this topic when I've seen enough complete series to produce an adequate top 10/bottom 5. So far, I've only completed about 10 shows, but I'm currently in the midst of about another dozen or so (with several more waiting to be started!).
SolemnBoy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:23 am Reply with quote
My 10 favourites:

10. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Brotherhood follows the manga more closely and despite a few pacing problems here and there I felt like it provided more or less perfect entertainment for more than 60 episodes. Furthermore, the production values were top notch which is always a plus, especially for a series of such length.

9. Kino's Journey

I absolutely love this anime. The protagonist, Kino, is one of my favourite characters, yet the reason this isn't higher on my list is mainly because of her. This is an episodic show that doesn't really aim to develop her more than what was deemed necessary and, whilst the different storylines themselves are skillfully constructed as moral allegories, I would have wished for a higher focus on characterization as well.

8. Kaiba

I love how a top notch animation studio like MADHOUSE is still willing to lend its penmanship to less uhm... conventional projects. I decided to watch Kaiba because it looked like a visual treat, but in the end it was even more than that. The third episode (I think. Might have been the second) is one of my favourites in any work of fiction and not just anime. This show raised lots of thought-provoking questions and inserted them into an intergalactic sci-fi lovestory told in an interesting way - that was more than enough for me to enjoy it.

7. Millennium Actress

Satoshi Kon is a genius, and in my opinion this is his best work. It's beautifully animated and the story is structured so that no other medium would be more appropriate. In other words this movie achieves something that as far as I'm concerned can only be done well in animation. Furthermore, the story itself is beautiful and quite touching since everything's incredibly well-written and you end up really caring for the characters.

6. Mononoke

Hands down some of the best animation I've seen. Everything else about this show kind of fades in comparison, but even so the main character is mysteriously mesmerizing enough to make for an interesting watch even if we never really get to know anything about him. The story is divided into different arcs that differ in quality but still raise themselves high above the standard as they put monsters and creatures from Japanese folklore to excellent use. The soundtrack is one of the creepiest ones I've heard, comprised mainly of weird noises and harrowing sound effects.

5. Haibane Renmei

Haibane has an atmosphere similar to Kino's Journey but succeeds both in the storyline and characterization. To be slightly critical, the animation is a bit humble but I still found it beautiful, just like the soundtrack. The story is pretty slow-paced but reaches an emotional climax unlike anything I've seen in another work of fiction - I still remember it pretty clearly even though it's been years since I saw it.

4. Grave of the Fireflies

This is a movie that proved lots of things to me.
1. Hayao Miyazaki is not the only masterful director working for Ghibli.
2. Movies do have the power to make me cry; who'd have thought?
3. Animation can be even more powerful than I initially thought...

3. Revolutionary Girl Utena

Wow... as far as eccentric premises go, Utena is right at the top. The symbolism ranges from pretty simple to downright nightmarish and visually speaking the series is one of the most beautiful things I've seen despite a somewhat limited budget. Interestingly enough, there's little to no story development going on until the final few episodes. Even so, the characters compensate for most flaws I can think of (such as all the stock footage and occasional bad slapstick). In all sincerity, Utena has my absolute favourite cast in anime. None of them have simplistic reasons for doing what they do, and they're all fleshed out with frightening perfection. You will NEVER see anything like Utena.

2. Spirited Away

Spirited Away doesn't really boast anything thought-provoking or deep as far as I'm concerned. Yet, with amazing production values, an amazing score by Joe Hisaishi, careful direction of Hayao Miyazaki and absolutely splendid writing, this is one of those movies I can't really find it in me to criticize...

1. Princess Mononoke

For me, personally, both my number 1 and 2 are perfect. Not in the sense that nothing can top them, but in the sense that I don't see any flaws in them whatsoever. It's a subjective thing I guess. However, Princess Mononoke has one thing Spirited Away lacked; complexity. Environmental films have an annoying tendency to glorify nature, antagnoize humanity and introduce lots of twisted morality whenever they can. Princess Mononoke refuses to do anything like that and aims to depict the cons and pros of both sides. Take that along with unforgetable characters and absolutely gorgeous animation and you get what I believe to be the best anime ever made.

My 5 most disliked anime:

5. Angel Sanctuary

To be fair, I can hardly remember WHY I hated this, but I remember how it irritated me to extreme levels. So, yeah, sorry about this lack of substace but... eh.

4. GANTZ

I still believe that there is no reason other than being a gorehound for anyone to watch this. The characters are terrible (both as far as personality and development goes), the ending is beyond horrendous and the pacing explodes into incoherence near the end. Granted, the animation was very good for its time but that alone cannot carry a show whose only ambition is to sadistically execute its characters.

3. Higurashi no naku koro ni: Kira

I don't like fanservice but nor am I one of those guys who complain about it like it has the power to ruin ANYTHING with its mere presence alone. In Kira, however, the fairly complex and fascinating concept the previous seasons (and visual novels) established is reduced to a panorama of bad humour and paedophilic... components. The last episode was way better than the rest but still pretty awful :/

2. Mezzo

Mezzo Forte was an okay watch if you got the non-Hentai version. It knew it had nothing thought-provoking to depict so it aimed for pure entertainment value. Did it succeed? Eh, kind of. The TV show however didn't and tried to develop some of its cardboard characters with little to no success. This is one of the few shows I've ever dropped.

1. Violence Jack

I've seen the first two movies of this series and I despise them with equal passion. The animation is ugly, the story is literally devoid of anything that's not violence or sex and the writers go too far when they decide on how to dispose of the innocent female characters. Explicit content like this WOULD be acceptable if there was some substance underneath it... this is not the case here. Avoid at all costs!
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:50 pm Reply with quote
SolemnBoy wrote:

5. Angel Sanctuary

To be fair, I can hardly remember WHY I hated this, but I remember how it irritated me to extreme levels. So, yeah, sorry about this lack of substace but... eh.

Don't worry. I don't know ANYBODY who liked the three-episode anime of it. :'D
The much longer and cohesive manga is really popular but incest themes squick me so....yeah, I pass it up for uh....non-incest shoujo manga.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:01 pm Reply with quote
My Top 10 Best Anime hasn't really changed much since the last time I posted in here before. So I suppose I'll highlight what I've found the worst titles I've watched since I last posted here:

10. Eiken- Not as annoyed with it as I was in the past, but I still find it quite bad considering it tries way too hard at being as perverted as it can be without crossing into hentai territory with the ridiculously-sized boobs of many of its female characters and numerous innuendos with food.
9. Boku wa Imouto ni Koi wo Suru- Incest being used as a cheap excuse for perversion or melodrama has become one of my new pet peeves with anime, the latter applying with this attempted cash-in of an OVA adaptation for a then ongoing manga series.
8. Gyo- One of my major disappointments of 2012 and quite the big one. Ufotable's involvement with this had me thinking I was gonna get something enjoyable for a story with its horror elements. Instead, I got something on par with bad American horror films exploiting grotesque violence and content to shock folks over quality plotting and genuinely suspenseful moments.
7. Kiss x Sis TV- Another anime exploiting incest for yuks and perverted content? Sigh.
6. Isshoni Sleeping: Sleeping with Hinako- Outside of the fan service, this baby is very boring considering all you see mostly is Hinako sleeping with random service shots throughout and there is hardly a plot to care about.
5. Yosuga no Sora- Plot to the series is mostly an excuse for male lead Haruka to inevitably have his way with the "gal of the arc" with each gal having your typical dating sim/ eroge archetypes. Worst of all, the final arc involves Haruka's own sister in an incestuous fling. Bleh.
4. Tekken- Still among the worst anime titles I've seen with its horrific early use of cel-shaded animation and sloppy writing, all to cash in on Namco's popular fighting game franchise.
3. Master of Martial Hearts- Apparently tries ripping off Ikki Tousen and School Days to create a battle anime involving fetish-themed female characters with a shocking finale. The former fails to amaze due to its subpar artwork and inconsistent animation (character bust sizes keep changing frequently throughout this dud) while the latter is poorly written and quite mean-spirited compared to how School Days built up its infamous ending.
2. Garzey's Wing- Has perhaps the worst pacing I've seen in any anime I've seen thus far lacking a cohesive plot, fails to properly explain relevant elements to the characters and its world and has the absolute worst introductory sequence to the events of a series I've seen in anime thanks to the breakneck pace of Garzey's Wing.
1. Qwaser of Stigmata- The complete misogyny of this anime when it comes to how the Qwasers get their power source via rape and sexual harassment, just as a cheap excuse for ecchi antics, really ticked me off when when I plowed through this series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 108 of 122