• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New CMX Manga Licenses

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
milcor1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:22 pm Reply with quote
thecactusman17 wrote:
GATSU wrote:
If MegaTokyo's so popular, why does it keep changing publishers? Laughing

Short version: Studio Iron Cat died, and Dark Horse was on a book-by-book basis. Fred thinks that he can do better work by sticking with a larger and stabler publisher who is also interested in distributing his future works (like Warmh).

You mean CMX offered him more money. I don't believe his BS about liking what CMX was doing with their manga. Since when has DC ever cared who buys from their CMX line?
thecactusman17

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:21 pm Reply with quote
milcor1 wrote:
thecactusman17 wrote:
GATSU wrote:
If MegaTokyo's so popular, why does it keep changing publishers? :lol:

Short version: Studio Iron Cat died, and Dark Horse was on a book-by-book basis. Fred thinks that he can do better work by sticking with a larger and stabler publisher who is also interested in distributing his future works (like Warmh).

You mean CMX offered him more money. I don't believe his BS about liking what CMX was doing with their manga. Since when has DC ever cared who buys from their CMX line?

I've met the man. He's too sincere to be bullshitting on stuff like this, I assure you. And lets be frank: no artist, American or Japanese, is in comics for money. What, did you think it was some glam ock lifestyle? Maybe for Alex Ross, but most artists don't have that kind of income.
milcor1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:25 am Reply with quote
thecactusman17 wrote:
milcor1 wrote:
thecactusman17 wrote:
GATSU wrote:
If MegaTokyo's so popular, why does it keep changing publishers? Laughing

I've met the man. He's too sincere to be bullshitting on stuff like this, I assure you. And lets be frank: no artist, American or Japanese, is in comics for money. What, did you think it was some glam ock lifestyle? Maybe for Alex Ross, but most artists don't have that kind of income.

I don't know about American artists, but I'm pretty the mangakas for the more popular manga titles are just rediculously filthy rich such as Rumiko Takahashi (Inuyasha) and Eiichiro Oda (One Piece). Create a popular manga in Japan, and you're floating in money. But of course that's due to the much more infinitely larger comics market over there than in North America.
thecactusman17

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:54 am Reply with quote
milcor1 wrote:

I don't know about American artists, but I'm pretty the mangakas for the more popular manga titles are just rediculously filthy rich such as Rumiko Takahashi (Inuyasha) and Eiichiro Oda (One Piece). Create a popular manga in Japan, and you're floating in money. But of course that's due to the much more infinitely larger comics market over there than in North America.

Also not true. Artists like Takahashi and Oda are just as much an abberation over in Japan as Alex Ross, Neil Gaiman, and Stan Lee are in the West. There are probably a slightly higher percentage of wealthy manga-ka in Japan due to the significantly higher manga market, but that is not representative of the industry. I know that ANN occasionally features stories on the average salaries of manga artists and anime artists in Japan, but consistantly those salaries hover, at best, around $20000-$30000 at most, in one of the most expensive countries on the planet.
Dvalentine

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:32 pm Reply with quote
You are correct in saying that Echiro Oda is wealthy from selling one piece to Bandai. He sees a lot of profit from all thier marketing of his title. However in resposne to cactusman the usual salary for animators and comic creators in Japan is less then 20k/year for most. It's been reported that a large portion of the most talented animators and such have quit or are quitting because "The work is very demanding and pays so little". Which means that corperate makes an obsene amount of money off of any deal in comparison to the creator and his or her staff. With the exception of very few creators.

Now for the real reason for my post, I know ofr a fact that the American comic industry(mainly Marvel) pays the most to thier illustrators/writers for thier work. For example Mark Bagley who is the illustrator for Ultimate Spiderman is payed within the range of 500-700$ per page completed. Keep in mind he has already illustrated 5 years worth of Ultimate Spiderman. Now at the max reported pay if you do the math it's 700 x 22 pages per month is 15,400$ a month. Now if you multipy the same number for the entire year(1 issue a month for 12 months, completed and printed a year prior to release BTW) is 184,400$ for the year without paying taxes. Now even to me that number is astronomical almost unbelieveable.(But not necessarily impossible because you are dealing with Marvels' most popular franchise) However, out of all the published artists I know one of my friends in particular mentioned that even though superhero comics aren't his thing; Marvel and Image pay him the most money over all for his comics and cover illustrations.

Yeah I know it was a lot to read, but I hope you found this information helpful and educational. Have a nice day =D. Also if any of you wanan know about publishing a book from start to finish, don't be afraid to ask =D.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:21 pm Reply with quote
thecactusman17 wrote:

I've met the man. He's too sincere to be bullshitting on stuff like this, I assure you.

And yet he seems to be BSing a "literral" portrayal of himself and his girl in the comics.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2