• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sunrise Makes Mecha Anime Valvrave the Liberator

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:12 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Wow, a Sunrise mecha show made within the past few years?

I'm sure, CERTAIN it won't be a huge time-wasting disappointment of monumental proportions, propped up by how hilariously bad it is, enjoyed ironically, and have bland, uninteresting leads that make the top 10 character lists in anime magazines despite their utter lack of personality.

Surely Sunrise has learned its lesson from Code Geass and Gundam AGE. Surely.

If /m is allowed to dictate the narrative on how the show is receive it will be considered all the things you've claimed absolutely, truthful or not. If it's to be a show that's actually allowed to be judged by it's own merits and failings for a change then history has yet to be written.

Also is it fair to say that I consider both of those shows among the better efforts at making TV mecha series of late, more so the former than the latter which was kind of mediocre really. Sorry but when I think of really bad mecha shows that are only possible to enjoy ironically I think of the likes of Guilty Crown, Eureka Seven AO, and Aquarion EVOL not Code Geass and Gundam AGE.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
I like how the first reaction of people in this thread is to whine about all the shows that don't fit their personal preference as to what a "proper" mecha series should be.

As I keep insisting everywhere the matter pops up all I ask really is that the show make sense within it's own context and have relateable characters that remain consistent. I think the main reason you're seeing these types of claims is simply because this is a basic standard that a lot of mecha series have failed to achieve yet and people being a little confused as to what the real issue is.

Last edited by Kaioshin_Sama on Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Gundam AGE was horrible.

Doesn't make penguintruth's post not total wankery though.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Gundam AGE was horrible.

Doesn't make penguintruth's post not total wankery though.

Your opinion dude, I prefer to stick to my assesment of mediocre though to be somewhat fair it's possible other shows have completely thrown my scale of judgment off and said assessment if merely relative to other recent efforts.

Anyway indeed that is beside the point which is that the show at least deserves a chance to be judged on it's own merits and/or failings, something AGE never really got for example. I myself am of course apprehensive because of recent trends but I fail to see how totally prejudging a show is in any way productive or conducive towards any sort of chance of enjoying it when it actually comes out. Like if that's what people are going to do than what's the point at all, why even give a shit about it in the first place lol?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:25 pm Reply with quote
For the record, I went into Gundam AGE with an open mind. I more than was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.

My thoughts on the show, are fully documented, and I don't appreciate being accused of not going into it with a fair and open mind.
aereus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Sunrise's "off season" mecha shows all tend to have some sort of romance or harem element to them.

IE: Zegapain, Sora wo Kakeru Shoujo, Sacred Seven, etc.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:26 pm Reply with quote
aereus wrote:
Sora wo Kakeru Shoujo

Did you even watch SoraKake Girl? It was neither romance nor harem.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
For the record, I went into Gundam AGE with an open mind. I more than was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.

My thoughts on the show, are fully documented, and I don't appreciate being accused of not going into it with a fair and open mind.

I was agreeing with you about Penguintruth going /m style on the thread. That second paragraph was addressing that approach not yours.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:11 pm Reply with quote
this looks pretty cool I know I'll look forward to this but I won't make assumptions on how it'll preform right off the bat based off of Other titles since those titles aren't connected to this. One thing though the first thought I had when I saw the article title was "Yeah I have a feeling this might not get a US release since Mecha doesn't seem to be the US's fave anime genre. just one they'll tolerate"
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:59 am Reply with quote
"Valvrave"............. saying repetitions would kill the v/b's & r/l's.............. Smile
johnndergrosse

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:21 am Reply with quote
There is no way that this robot wasn't designed by Keiichi Sato.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:36 am Reply with quote
Well...the only thing I can say for sure about Valvrave the Liberator is that the name itself sounds a bit odd right now, but the CGI seems to be of relatively acceptable quality as far as the first trailer is concerned.

Beyond the above statement, I'm forced to wait for more details about the staff, premise or content before going ahead and throwing out any other opinions about it. It is still way too early for anything other than sheer speculation.

penguintruth wrote:
Surely Sunrise has learned its lesson from Code Geass and Gundam AGE. Surely.

If they have learned anything, it's that the first of those two shows was successful (and they're already making more) while the second one...apparently wasn't, from what little we can tell. Which is a pity, since the generational story concept behind Gundam AGE was actually quite a bit interesting on paper and deserves to be revisited. Hopefully whatever alternate universe Gundam series comes up next isn't overly shy about trying to do something new or at least unusual again.
opn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:08 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
I hope this is a real mecha series instead of an excuse for a harem show (like IS and Asura Cryin').

Asura cryin really wasn't a harem...only two (3 in the second season) girls in the cast liked the MC. Anyway i guess i'll give this a try.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:49 am Reply with quote
Wanted a new Gundam, but this looks great too. Need a good mech after that abomination called AGE. My body (is) ready
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Is this another of those cliché shows where ridiculously impractical giant humanoid machines exist, and all of sudden those could not be self-controlled by a computer, and can be only driven by teenage characters? And yes, those machines are never locked, so they can be stolen right away by any bishojo or bishonen?

I mean, seriously, some people like this genre because it supposedly somehow more "real" than "fantasy" genre. Yet the reality is that this setting is even less believable than basically any fantasy you could look at.

That said, if this new show will really try, it can be less stupid than in general, so lets give it a chance.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2