• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Robotech Live-Action?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omnistry

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:18 pm Reply with quote
This is pretty cool. Just as long as it ain't syndicated; then I know it will probably be good.
Mokkori

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Who wants to bet that if the show does get off the ground, it will only be on for like 6-9 episodes and then taken off the air? Then it will be released on DVD(maybe) with episodes that didn't air. But it will probably almost impossible to find because most stores won't carry it and those who do will only get 1-3 copies. Which will be sent to the bargin bin after 2 or 3 weeks and/or just gotten rid of to places unknown for those copies that are not sold.
BlackCassidy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I dunno, it could be a nice companion to Battlestar Galactica on the Sci-fi Channel. If the production values are anything like that then it might be a decent show. And speaking of Sci-fi, can we assume that the Witch Hunter Robin project is dead?
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Well, I can't find anything on the site about a live-action TV series, only about the company's involvement with The Shadow Chronicles and the bit about the live-action movie. Don't know whether I should be surprised that this company includes the guy from Netter Digital who was involved in the (thankfully) never-produced Robotech 3000.

Anyway, the person posting this is misinformed - there is nothing over there under "Live Action TV Series" regarding Robotech.
sorvani

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:13 pm Reply with quote
aye the information about a live action is incorrect.

per their Production Page it is animated direct to video.
Darkwater

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:22 pm Reply with quote
The site did in fact say "Live Action TV Series" and "Live Action Movie" until this afternoon when it was changed to what you see now, "Animated Direct To DVD"

~Darkwater
http://robotechnews.blogspot.com
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:35 am Reply with quote
Well Shadow Chronicles looks great. So I am excited about that.
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:45 am Reply with quote
Robotech live-action series, eh? Sorry, I'll skip that unless someone like a Ron Moore or Robert H. Wolfe is involved.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Darkwater wrote:
The site did in fact say "Live Action TV Series" and "Live Action Movie" until this afternoon when it was changed to what you see now, "Animated Direct To DVD"

So, in other words, the live-action series was some kind of vague notion, possibly a trial balloon, that they were mulling over once upon a time, and an idea they didn't mind being open about for the hardcore fans who know where to look, but it wasn't serious enough or solid enough an idea that they wanted to continue being "public" about it once the notion fell under the glare of "wider" (within the general anime fandom niche, at least) publicity.

Or it could be that the live-action series was a serious idea when the particular page was created but the cards never quite fell into place and they just never got around to updating the website to reflect the change in the situation until now.

omnistry wrote:
This is pretty cool. Just as long as it ain't syndicated; then I know it will probably be good.

Sorry, but, if this was ever a serious idea, the only feasible way to do it would be to shoot it in Canada on the cheap (or, perhaps, New Zealand, though I think NZ got more expensive post-LOTR) for syndication/the Sci-Fi Network/the USA Network, if they want it to last more than two or three episodes. Or get it on UPN-soon-to-be-CW, but that hardly counts as a network, and they couldn't even keep Enterprise aloft in the ratings long enough for it to last the standard 7 seasons for post-Kirk Star Trek shows.

No sci-fi show with serious "geek drool"-provoking hardware (spaceships or mecha) has been a hit on regular American broadcast network television (meaning the big three and FOX) in eons. Lost is popular, but it's a character study only on the "paranormal" fringes of sci-fi (and could just as easily fall under the general "fantasy" heading). Invasion has aliens (kinda) but no spaceships, and is another paranormal fantasy-type show, and that show's "on the bubble" (questionable) in terms of getting renewed anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
can we assume that the Witch Hunter Robin project is dead?

I'm thinking yeah, we can put this one to bed. Sad too, I was really looking forward to this. It would be a whole lot feasable to do than a Robotech series in my opinion. I mean, Charmed is still in syndication. They could have marketed it as Charmed meets 24. Thing is though is that it would've been aired on the Sci-Fi channel and with the exception of Battlestar Galactica (which I've never seen) I don't think they've ever been able to handle a t.v series for long without having it flop in the first or second season.

Poor Tripping the Rift Crying or Very sad
Mawdryn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:01 pm Reply with quote
I dunno...I think it's more likely we'll see Shadow Chronicles continue after the OVA as a 26-episode TV series long before Robotech is adapted as a live-action show.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how much Charmed costs to produce per episode, but, whatever it costs, an hour of a hypothetical Robotech series would cost many times more.

Unless they go "the rubber suit and bluescreen route" for the robot planes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tekwych

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:00 pm Reply with quote
outlawwolf wrote:
Quote:
can we assume that the Witch Hunter Robin project is dead?

Thing is though is that it would've been aired on the Sci-Fi channel and with the exception of Battlestar Galactica (which I've never seen) I don't think they've ever been able to handle a t.v series for long without having it flop in the first or second season.

SG1 is in its ninth season so Sci Fi does get it right Atlantis and Galactica are finishing their second season and have been renewed through season 5 already. That said the deal for Witch Hunter Robin is for a 2 hr. movie or 4-6 hr. mini series only, not an actual series. Their are two scripts and both were rejected. The project is not dead but is on a back burner waiting for a script doctor that actually understands the original work and can fix all the problems.
scatteredshadows

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Live action Robotech?

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

There is no chance of this happening in the forseeable future. For it to have ANY visual credibilty, each episode would cost several times whatever the current most expensive TV series is. Considering that it would have to outperform pretty much anything currently on the air just to break even, you have to think that chances of anything even resembling this going into production are miniscule.

You just can't compare this property to anything else that's been done on television. Galactica, Star Trek, Babylon 5, all of which are/were fairly expensive to produce, none of them had to contend with a modular city, 50 foot tall aliens or numerous types of transforming mecha, all of which interact with each other AND human scale actors and props. That's in addition to managing a large cast, alien FX, extensive and intricate sets, and all of the other typical space opera obstacles. On top of all that, casting would be crucial, especially concerning Minmei. Harmony Gold couldn't even get a VOICE ACTRESS who didn't grate on the nerves, imagine the potential for disaster in trying to cast a live body.

In the end, I'd much rather see new animated Macross or even Robotech stories than a shoddy, yet expensive live action retread.
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:41 am Reply with quote
The only way I'll watch a live-action Robotech is if they cast Tera Patrick as Lisa Hayes, Jun Kusanagi as Lynn Minmei, Aria Giovanni as Miriya, and Jenna Jameson as Dana Sterling.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2