• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece Film Z Sells 600,000 Tickets on 1st Day

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gayjopa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:38 pm Reply with quote
well it's wan piss, gotta herd on it or you're not a proper japanese.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:12 pm Reply with quote
The projections put it as the biggest week-end ever for a local film (without taking inflation into account).

Its 2nd week-end drop is going to hurt big time though as the fan-effect a la Evangelion means it won't have the longevity of Ghibli movies or big Hollywood blockbusters.
Araki

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Heh, Eva's record didn't last much.

I can see it easily surpassing Strong World's final numbers - about US$50 million.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Curious to see how many screens Z is playing in. Very impressive opening day box office numbers.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Curious to see how many screens Z is playing in. Very impressive opening day box office numbers.

301 screens apparently (so Evangelion 3.0's per screen average remains higher).

Quote:
I can see it easily surpassing Strong World's final numbers - about US$50 million.

Strong World finished with 4.7 billion yen which was 53$ million at the time but because of the exchange rate always changing it's better to keep the grosses in yen. I don't see this one going much higher : 5 billion, maybe 5.5 billion, but no more (unless positive reviews and word of mouth manage to bring in the 'non-fan' crowd).
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I see this one does better than Strong World. But i have to agree that using USD to compare is stupid. We should use Yen. Exchange rate is a fixed value.
vangelionite88

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:55 pm Reply with quote
one piece is definitely more popular than eva, but popular does not make it better. no surprise really, the top demographics for this show are teens and older teens, maybe young adults as well.
andyseed

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:05 am Reply with quote
vangelionite88 wrote:
one piece is definitely more popular than eva, but popular does not make it better. no surprise really, the top demographics for this show are teens and older teens, maybe young adults as well.

OP has a really big fan base with most of it being older than teens .
Remember that manga has being going on for 15 years people that start reading it way back then are older adults now .

I think this movie could make more money than Strong World but not by much .
why no guest post option?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:46 am Reply with quote
There's so much hype,queues are f*cking long,it surpasses strong world record,and definitely the best movie of op.

vangelionite88 wrote:

Statistics shows 88% of op readers are adults 19~50s year 2011,
and most of the moviegoers are in their 18~20s,even though it's a shounen.

Last edited by why no guest post option? on Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Hospodar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:56 am Reply with quote
vangelionite88 wrote:
. no surprise really, the top demographics for this show are teens and older teens, maybe young adults as well.

lol, you are so wrong on that.
Here you see the demographic:
animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2011-02-09/nhk/9/10ths-of-one-piece-manga-buyers-are-adults
Simple said there are more 50+ people reading the Manga than they are teens or kids.
A Reviewer of the movie mentioned that they were a lot of people of every age group there.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:19 am Reply with quote
One Piece over there; The Hobbit over here............. It'll be a busy weekend at the somber December box office!
vangelionite88

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:59 pm Reply with quote
well that is a little bit surprising that the largest age group hoovers in the 20's.... and older. but who's the biggest group for say ticket purchases?. I suppose it makes sense, most people who do work by now grew up with this anime/manga. well like i have pointed out before, just because its popular, does not mean its the best, far from it even.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:28 pm Reply with quote
vangelionite88 wrote:
well that is a little bit surprising that the largest age group hoovers in the 20's.... and older. but who's the biggest group for say ticket purchases?. I suppose it makes sense, most people who do work by now grew up with this anime/manga. well like i have pointed out before, just because its popular, does not mean its the best, far from it even.

Same thing could be said for Eva.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:58 pm Reply with quote
The demographic breakdown of moviegoers is usually released a few days after the week-end so you'll just have to wait for those.
vangelionite88

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:06 am Reply with quote
Same thing could be said for Eva.

specifically?. one piece capitalizes on the LCD, the shonen/action genre. these movies particularly 2.0 did that very well, and attracted new viewers, 1.0 grossed about 15 million in japan, that is pretty low compared to 2.0 which was about 40 million, the one piece movies gross out much more altogether, one pice is a much more popular/well known show. and nge is definitely the better series, at least it does not have useless filler and fighting that goes on for dozens of episodes. one piece is junk food by comparison. granted it like my share of shonen, including OP but i do not consider it better by far.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2